Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Interesting FM Aerials - circularly polarized - of the YAGI / corner reflector variety.
Yep. Good gains, but they are large. :)

Interesting design twist on the corner reflector, flattening up the edges.

Interesting custom mounting techniques on the photo installation pages.

His construction techniques could adapt nicely to pvc pipe.

Heh, what kind of crap is this ?
The virtually flat response and high rejection of the top at the range aerial give dynamic results especially on classical music.
http://ronsmithaerials.com/catalogue/G23.php

So I suppose the antenna is no good for Rock or Country and Western music, heh.

Google street view of 98 ash road luton bedfordshire england shows that the antenna store is no longer there, its now an asian fruit market. The antennas on the roof remain however.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the post, mrvanwinkles.

Yes, interesting antennas.

300ohm, about the classical music reception.

Listeners may notice the effects of signal-to-noise ratio more when receiving a classical music broadcast.

Stations that play Rock or County music tend to use audio processing techniques (for increased loudness) that limit the dynamic range of the music. This audio processing can mask some of the background noise that might be present in a marginal S/N condition.

Good classical music has large dynamic range wherein in the quieter portions, one might hear background hiss of a moderate or low S/N ratio signal. Stations that broadcast classical music tend to avoid excessive audio processing.

On the price list page:

It is mentioned:

"Early in 2010 Ron ,my father, moved on peacefully... "

"...we have decided to maintain supplies..."

"I will be happy to continue giving advice on all installation questions and supplying our loyal customer base with our quality products for the forseeable future. George Smith. "

Copyright 2010 Ron Smith Aerials
http://ronsmithaerials.com/catalogue/pricelist.php

Seems like Ron Smith may have died. Possibly, this could explain a change in address or location.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
After a short search I would have to assume that the late Mr. Smith's business affairs are no longer a going concern. R.I.P. Ron and thanks.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I thought was interesting about the designs of the FM Aerials was ...

They're like a DUAL YAGI, one yagi mounted above the other on a sort of a TRUSS beam. (the truss beam supporting the elements will therefore be rigid and not sag much - if it is long.)

Both YAGI's work with ONE common corner reflector.

And ... ONE common receive element, shaped like a large oval.

Incorporating two sets of directors and a large oval receive element into a single antenna, with one common corner reflector. Good idea.

The larger oval element ... I'm guessing this is to better receive Circular Polarization - if present (?) Or to be able to receive either/or/or both Vertical and Horizontal polarization (?)

I've read that some FM stations have both a vertical and horizontal component to their transmitted signal. That yeilds circular polarization. And some stations do this so their signal is more easily received by both horizontal and vertical receive aerials. (i.e. like both horizontal TV antennas and Mobile whip style antennas.)

I read something like: "Some FM stations proportion their transmitted signal between horizontal and vertical ... so it can be more easily received by both types of antennas." ex. 60/40 split horizontal to vertical.

Also read: "They even change the proportion, horizontal to vertical, depending on time of day." [leaning more to Hoizontal, later at night, when people are out of their vehicles (less likely using vertical whip antenna on a vehicle), and into their homes (more likely using a horizontal antenna, like the TV Aerial, to receive FM on the home set.)

... yes very interesting ... especially for those trying to receive those far off digital FM transmissions. HD radio.

But these types of designs, I'm sure, might also be of interest for TV Aerials.
VHF-HI or even UHF.

Same principles - I'm sure ...

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Yep. Good gains,...
from the table at that link, referenced as dBs? Have never saw that reference before, is that a "brit thing"? Anyhow if really in dBi, then max like 17.05 dBd, OTOH, if meant to be in dBd, then 21.35 dBi. Thinkin "dBs" another way of sayin dBi? Just wonderin..
Wonder what the HBW / VBW are like on them?

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
hehe, yeah I was thinkin the same thing. Wood's probably at a premium over there, be at least 2 x 6's for that here 'eh?
I know they use clay tile roofing over there, but was having to double take a few times... saw what looked like Duct tape around that "Boot" around the penetrating Pipe? The shingle around that looked like wood shingle to me..

Anyhoo...doesn't take away anything from the cool lookin antennas...
rest his soul...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those photos ... those are great ideas/designs for various mounts.

Chimney, Wall (T & K brackets), and through roof mounts.

Awsome.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Those photos ... those are great ideas/designs for various mounts.

Chimney, Wall (T & K brackets), and through roof mounts.
Yep, they look like they were made at a local welding shop. Nice and heavy duty.

looked like Duct tape around that "Boot" around the penetrating Pipe?
I guess thats temporary (at least I hope so) until a tile roofer comes around to do it properly ?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wall T&K mounts (& chimney mounts) of angle iron - there's a good supply of bed frame angle iron on the curb regularly round here in Ottawa. Esp round appartment buildings and rowhouses / townhouses.

These sorts of mounts could be improvised by do-it yourselfers I think.

One 90 deg square joint - is practically already made at the head and foot of the bed frame. Just gotta find one of the stronger bedframes, cut it at the right places, drill it, add some pieces from the spare angle left, weld/bolt or rivet in the right places, then get the other hardware you need.

I've built various stuff from that "Free" angle iron bed frame material that people put on the curb.

Seems people just toss that angle iron material when they move, or get a new bed or mattress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts