Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Roku is now working here in Canada

Hey NOC, look like as Roku is opening operations in UK and adding more devices, now my Roku is working with Netflix and a bunch of different channels. If anyone has a Roku, now is the time to start using it, as Netflix and other channels are streaming with no fault. No need to use a VPN connections (except for Holoplus and other two). Will enjoy the Roku now more. Thanks again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
A friend of mine just bought the latest Roku from the US and downloaded the Canadian firmware. Afterwars, Netflix is no where in sight.
Is there a way to change it to the US firmware?

Cheers, K

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Follow PCMonkey's procedure in the Internet streaming forum for activating via a VPN service. Once you do that once to get it setup you should be good to go without the VPN.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm surprised we haven't heard more from them about an official Canadian launch yet. Particularly since they have launched in the UK and the likely launch of a new Apple TV next week (which they'll have to compete with). But I guess we're only 1/6th of the way through 2012.

·
Registered
18 Posts
its available.. but limited channel selection so far. that was the same as happened when netflix was first introduced. a year or so later netflix is still a bit lacking.

dunno.. probably better to just purhcase ruko in the states and then get a VPN to access through canada.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is the hardware Canadian specific? i would assume you could just VPN with it and then update the firmware?

I ended up going with the LG ST600 for $50 at Dell. Horrible interface, but can't beat the price and it does DLNA

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It's pretty confusing - it seems like it's either your Roku account or the initial config that's region specific. Kinda lame actually.

I activated most recently by just using an unblock-us trial. Then I have access to all of the US channels. But the truth is that I mostly use it for Netflix which even with a US Roku account/firmware, works just fine with a Canadian Netflix account.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
But the truth is that I mostly use it for Netflix which even with a US Roku account/firmware, works just fine with a Canadian Netflix account.
But if you are using the unblockus DNS even with a "Canadian" Netflix account then you are accessing US Netflix, correct?

You may know this - but just to be clear - about a year ago Netflix switched their systems so that you get acesss to the Netflix service based on where Netflix thinks you are, regardless of where your Netflix account is based. So even if you have a Canadian Netflix account you get US Netflix service, at least on most devices, when you are using unblockus.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is not true with all devices.

some examples are Xbox 360 (you will get weird results) and the LG TV Upgrader that I mentioned above.

You absolutely have to have a US netflix account to make them work properly.

PS3 and Boxee work like a champ though

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes Wayne, to your comment that's absolutely correct. I just use the one Canadian based Netflix account.

The one Roku that goes through unblock-us shows me US content. The other devices that don't show me Canadian content. All using the same Canadian based Netflix account.

The only advantage on the Roku of actually having a US based Netflix account is with regards to the instant queue. Since the 4.3 software the Netflix app has changed to say "if account_type = Canadian then show_iq=FALSE". Doesn't matter where you (or your IP address) are. What matters is where your Netflix account is homed.

I find this to be a major bummer. The IQ still shows fine on other devices including the older model Rokus!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Roku 2 XS is now "officially" available in Canada as a Walmart exclusive.

Has anyone tried the "Canadian" version to compare it to the US version? Is is essentially the same or are there limitations special features/lacking channels?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's only available from Walmart's website right now, not instore. I've just ordered one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The new walmart in Brampton had them in stock last Friday. The XS2 was priced at $108 - there were 4 on the shelf, plus a couple of XD with no price.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It's only available from Walmart's website right now, not instore. I've just ordered one.
Well congratulations Mark, I'm sure you're one of about 4 people in all of Canada to have purchased one in Canada! After all, they don't market it so apart from people on these forums and the odd person who scours through the technology reports in the papers, who'd even know about this device. So I'd imagine their sales are... well let's just say "minimal".

just got back from buffalo, ruko 2 XD $69+tax from target. :)
You can usually also find the XS for about $85-$90 in warehouse stores like Sams Club or Costco. And they usually include an HDMI cable. Well worth it IMO.

Has anyone tried the "Canadian" version to compare it to the US version? Is is essentially the same or are there limitations special features/lacking channels?
I don't think there is anything different in the actual hardware. I think it's all in the firmware version that it downloads. And that would be based on where your Roku account is based. I'm thinking that if you have a Canadian based Roku account and do a factory reset of the device it will download the Canadian firmware and give you access to the Canadian apps store. Or vice versa. But I haven't tested that myself - I have the US firmware and US channel store on mine and I don't see any reason at all why I'd need or want to change that. (No advantages that I know of)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And if anyone is considering one of these, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend it. It's a nice little box with the exception of the missing Netflix IQ that I've griped about already ;-)

However I'd really recommend the XS for a couple of reasons. First of all the RF remote. Means that you can stick the box behind the TV and out of sight. The remote sensitivity on my IR Roku's have been weak, so the RF remote on the XS is a massive improvement. And secondly because I personally find that when you plug these gizmos (Roku or ATV) in with an ethernet cable they perform way better than when on Wifi. Sadly only the XS has an RJ-45 jack now.

Overall I'm really liking my Roku's these days. It's my #1 Netflix device (out of many I own). Primarily because of the RF remote. And the quick start the "adaptive streaming" that they use to buffer and adjust PQ on the fly means your streaming starts in just a few seconds and almost never rebuffers. My old fav was the ATV2 which still does show my IQ. But it uses an IR remote and takes way longer for shows to start.

Two thumbs up. A nice little gadget and worth the price if you're into streaming IMO.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
US account information upon signing up roku US?

You have access to all the US channels??? which channels? thanks

Question: I am using VPN right now and signing up with Roku US I think lol, what do I put for address etc?

Use my cdn address/credit card?

Thank u

21 - 40 of 44 Posts