Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Roku ships to Canada

51K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  AmZeeeL 
#1 ·
Yes, that's right. Roku ships to Canada. :D
This is what I've got from Roku:

Thank you for contacting ROKU customer service. My Name is Danny and I will be helping you with your query.
I apologize for the delay in answering your valuable query.
From your email I can understand that you would like to purchase the player in Canada.
I would suggest you to place the order through this link
hxxp://www.roku.com/remax-canada
We have two shipment method for Canadian customer.
FedEx International Ground (2-7 business days): $19.99
FedEx International Priority (2-3 business days): $29.99
Please feel free to write to us if you have further questions or issues.
Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing ROKU.
Regards,
Danny
Roku Customer service.

Right now, in Canada, we can watch only ReMax crap with it. :confused:
What the f@k!?

See less See more
#2 ·
Right now, in Canada, we can watch only ReMax crap with it. :confused:
What the f@k!?
Don't blame Roku, blame the content owners and distributors for not finding a way to include Canadadian rights for their service. Heck, blame international copyright agreements for alllowinng Canada to be locked out from such offerings.

You cannot blame the box manufacturers. You also cannot blame the CRTC, either, as is sometimes blamed for such limitations sometimes.

#3 ·
^ Not true. Netflix is the killer app for all of these products and the fact that Netflix is available in Canada and a Roku can be bought in Canada but a Roku can't be used to watch Netflix in Canada is nothing to do with copyrights or the distributors. It's strictly a Netflix or Roku issue (mostly likely the former).

RoTo: you should get on the phone with Netflix Canada to express your frustration and see what they have to say about it.

#9 ·
^ Not true. Netflix is the killer app for all of these products and the fact that Netflix is available in Canada and a Roku can be bought in Canada but a Roku can't be used to watch Netflix in Canada is nothing to do with copyrights or the distributors. It's strictly a Netflix or Roku issue (mostly likely the former).
I think a bit of a clarification is in order - you can't watch Netflix Canada on a Roku but you can watch Netflix US in Canada on a Roku if you have a VPN (or similar service like unblock-us). I would bet that there are at least tens of thousands of Canadians subscribing to the Netflix US service since it is cheaper (as long as the CAD is above par) and it provides far more content.

#8 ·
the roku hardware is great, except that in canada it cant get netflix or amazon, which would be the two main reasons youd get a roku. they should say that before you buy, not apologize after. oh well, there are a bunch of free movies onm roku, they're just old. hoping netflix roku will eventually get it figured out. and also hope the crtc will allow netflix to play more than 5% of their content in canada eventually.

#10 ·
^ Not at all true Wayne. Over in the "Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV" forum I've gone into this in detail. To summarize:

• I ordered a Roku from the roku.com site and had it shipped to Canada (it came FedEx)
  • I use that Roku to watch the Netflix Canada service
  • Netflix Canada was not working on the Roku initially (and at the time of my quote that you referenced) but did start working since then
  • There are some issues/limitation with using the Roku for netflix Canada which I've documented in the threads there
  • I am not connecting to the Netflix US service with my Roku
  • I have never used it with any sort of IP spoofing site or tool to pretend I was in the US to use the US service - I'm using a Canadian IP from a Canadian ISP
  • I can add movies to my Netflix Canada account's "instant queue" through the Roku
  • The instant queue movies automatically appear on the ATV2 but not the Netflix Canada website.

#15 ·
Guys, I just got my order canceled.

I placed an order on Dec 22th for a Roku XS and hoping I can use it with my subscription for US Netlix in Canada.

I waited for few weeks and never received a box. I contacted ROKU's customer service and they told me my order was canceled. They said they can't ship to Canada.

#17 ·
ROKU Streaming Netflix

NOC, need to ask you a question. I know you said the way to have access to Netflix but I have checked all your posting and I can't get the thread with that info. If you could please send us (or send me) the specific thread, to refer us to it, and have access to Netflix; or if you spoke directly to them and what did you tell them. As I do have a Roku, and want to have access to my Netflix Account.

Thanks in advance.

#18 ·
I didn't have a trick per say. I got it working about a year ago. At first it wouldn't work (the Netflix app that is). Then one day when Netflix increased its list of supported devices for blu-rays I tried again and it worked.

What happened is that the Netflix channel gave me an activation code, I punched that in on my computer on the Netflix web site and that was it.

#20 ·
My order to a Canadian address was also cancelled, and it was done via PayPal. They even had a specific separate shipping cost for Canada (and two choices).

My only guess is that they have stopped directly shipping here temporarily as they are soon officially "bringing the Roku to Canada": http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/17/roku-planning-to-bring-set-top-boxes-to-canada-uk-in-early-2012/

So, my choices currently are to ship to a US address using a friend or a service like Kinek (https://www.kinek.com/), take another look at Boxee, or justify with my wife the purchase of a gaming console! ;)

#22 ·
My Roku is now working here in Canada

Hey NOC, look like as Roku is opening operations in UK and adding more devices, now my Roku is working with Netflix and a bunch of different channels. If anyone has a Roku, now is the time to start using it, as Netflix and other channels are streaming with no fault. No need to use a VPN connections (except for Holoplus and other two). Will enjoy the Roku now more. Thanks again.

#23 ·
A friend of mine just bought the latest Roku from the US and downloaded the Canadian firmware. Afterwars, Netflix is no where in sight.
Is there a way to change it to the US firmware?

Cheers, K

#27 ·
its available.. but limited channel selection so far. that was the same as happened when netflix was first introduced. a year or so later netflix is still a bit lacking.

dunno.. probably better to just purhcase ruko in the states and then get a VPN to access through canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.