Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I have been reading up on Plex on the Roku and from what I gather there is basically one view for movies, tv shows etc. Is it side scrolling thumbnails of your media? I cannot see myself scrolling through over 250 movies to find what I want to watch and certainly my wife and son won't do that either. Plex looks rather bland compared to the Apple TV and certainly the Mac client interface but thats to be expected. Is it really that neutered?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have been reading up on Plex on the Roku and from what I gather there is basically one view for movies, tv shows etc. Is it side scrolling thumbnails of your media? I cannot see myself scrolling through over 250 movies to find what I want to watch and certainly my wife and son won't do that either. Plex looks rather bland compared to the Apple TV and certainly the Mac client interface but thats to be expected. Is it really that neutered?
I'd say the eye candy of the Roku is pretty good. Plex is similar to Netflix in that there is a menu item for recent additions. That lets me quickly find my most likely viewing choice. I have a large video library of everything I have purchased on DVD and Bluray over the years.

You can create your own "groups" for things like movies, so I have one for "Classics", "Home Video", "Kids Movies", "and "Recorded TV Shows".

Plex automatically grabs all movie metadata, allows me to change the cover, etc. It transcodes as well, so I store movies in .mkv format or whatever, and they simply play.

For me PLEX is also appealing because there is an iPhone app, iPad app, and even one for my Samsung TV (so for that TV I don't even need a Roku). PLEX allows remote access so I can play my movies or Recorded TV shows on my iPad from anywhere in the world.

I also snag (one click shortcut) web video's with "Plex It" and these are instantly linked to a PLEX menu item called "queue". Plex also has a channel for YouTube which gets around the fact that the ROKU doesn't have a native Youtube app. There are lots of channels available using PLEX.

If Apple ever opened up the ATV to an App market, I'm sure PLEX would be available, and then I would dust off those devices and use them again. However, the Roku's would remain as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Thanks. I am more concerned with scrolling from left to right through my library. I am not much for browsing any other way than my whole library. Not sure why but the only other time I deviate from it is when I go to recently added. Plex on Apple TV certainly looks better than the Roku. Hopefully they will update the app soon. I am curious how fast it scrolls though and if it flashes the letter(s) you are going through as it does on my mac mini.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
With the sections you can re-order the appearance so my tv and movie sections are set up in the following manner

Recently Added
All Shows / Movies
By First Letter

This makes finding a movie much easier if its not near the top.

FWIW, I'm still partial to the Plex client on Windows or the Mac but the ability to customize the layout really does help make it easier. The other aspect I like is speed. I find the interface very responsive so it doesn't seem like a hassle to find what I am looking for.

Finally, what I like the most is that in a week, I haven't had to "fix" problems with the HTPC or explain anything to anyone. Nice when you have four people using it daily.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
A couple of Netflix interface tips most people don't know:

1. If you use the right/left fast forward buttons you can jump forward/backwards a full screen of titles at one time instead of the slower way of using the arrows with only advance you one title at a time.
  2. You can press "*" on any title and then search for movies like that one.
Actually that first tip works on just about any application on the Roku.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I just may pick one of these up. I have a computer hooked right up to my main tv, but using programs like XBMC aren't friendly with remotes. Maybe I'll get one of these and just set it up on the same tv, to make it easier to access tv shows and movies for the rest of the family.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Bought a Roku 3 today to hookup for my brother in law at his Florida condo. They have Netflix and I thought it would be cool to buy them a Roku for letting us use the condo. Cool device and I like that it's fast. But I just want to say I'm extremely disappointed that you need to register and provide a credit card number just to set it up.

I've now used my name and CC and I guess eventually I'll have to cancel my info and switch over. But it just irks me I couldn't skip that step. It even says in the Roku support you can almost immediately cancel your registered CC after setting up. So then that shows they don't need that info. Anyway rant over. Back to enjoying the device.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Well if you want to rant about the Roku how about:
  • No Netflix profiles
  • No Netflix "for Kids"
  • No movie/TV rental service supported natively in Canada
  • No YouTube app
  • No LT model in Canada
I know, you could say that the first 3 are due to the app developers and not Roku. But it's also the fact that they don't support HTML5 based apps that really limits them on all but the last one. It's really that they're becoming a pretty obscure development platform (which is their fault) that is keeping the apps out.

This is really like a smaller version of the Blackberry story. Remember the Roku was the original Netflix streaming device and the original name was something like those words. Now all of these apps (i.e. Netflix/Youtube) have gone HTML5 and Roku's inability or lack of desire to support that is slowly leaving them in the dust.

I've got three Roku's so far. Unless there's some big changes soon I don't think I'll ever own a 4th.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've got three as well. Two 3s and a 2. They all work well. I have two xboxes as well for recorded tv (media center extender) and YouTube when I have a live sub.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Just want to post that the Roku 3 is not the device to buy for a friend and hookup for them. Just the fact Roku wants your credit card for setup is silly enough. I set one up for my brother in law at his Florida condo now, and I took off my credit card, but the box is registered to my name and email at Roku.com. But at least no one is logged into Netflix now so the first time they try to log into Netflix it will ask them for them login info. If I unregister my name/email from the box, then they'll be asked for their credit card to set the box up. I just can't justify explaining to them that they need a CC to setup the box. So I'll leave it as it is. If anyone else is looking to do what I did, I suggest trying some other box. I had limited time at the condo so couldn't be bothered to hop back and forth to the store.

·
Registered
560 Posts
..I had the Roku 3 hooked up and running in about five minutes. I connected it to my VPN router so Roku thinks that the device is in the USA so I had the option to use several US channels that aren't available here in Canada....
The Roku 3 sounds great, and I was just about to buy one, as I just gave my ATV2 to my daughter....but I don't have the VPN setup you describe above.

I assume that if one is a typical user, with a conventional Rogers cable modem/router, and buys the roku3 in canada and registers as a Canadian customer, the roku3 is severely crippled in terms of available content.

I have read one can pay the $60/ yr, to unblock-us, to hide ones IP address, but that seems like a pricey workaround. Also not sure if that means one also needs to buy the US version (and not the Canadian version).

So the VPN seems to be a real clean option. Can you elaborate? All I have is the standard Cisco DPC 3825 DOCSIS3 cable modem/router Rogers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Question. If one goes the route of unblock-us (or unlocator.com) and changes the router DNS address, does this:

1) still allow use of local static addresses for home networked pc's?

2) backfire in terms of services that require a Canadian location...eg perhaps some Revenue Canada services ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
No & No (caveat - I have only once had an issue and that was with purchasing a movie rental via Playstation Network)
Re static IPs that would be a bit of change - having static IPs has in the past simplified a number of functions and improved performance between networked PC's. I suppose I could revisit all that.

Re being blocked out of required Canadian sites (if that becomes an issue) would of course not be acceptable.

Would like to learn more about the hugh's VPN router option. . Is it the same there as well re no static IPs and true Canadian-only sites? My 3825 is in bridge mode, and I have a separate router in the TV room anyway ( currently serves as a Wireless Access point and convenient 4 port switch to connect pc, bluray, and previous appleTV). Perhaps I just need to change out that router for a VPN router??

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
mymedia, lots of threads on this forum discussing the use of VPN (my preference) and DNS redirection services. I suggest you may want to check them out.

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
ok, back to the topic thread, Roku 3 now in Canada, I have a question.

I bought a Roku 3 (Canadian version) but have not opened it yet.

-I took a trial out with unblock-us.
-I revised my router with the appropriate DNS settings
-I connected a laptop to that router
-I went to unblock-us site to test it out, and it came back with the "All Right" confirmation

This is supposed to assure me that Roku3 thinks I am not connecting from Canada and thus I will be able to get US content, when I register with Roku

But when I go to http://www.iplocation.net/ , it shows my correct IP address but CLEARLY SHOWS I AM FROM CANADA.

So how will my Rokus3 ever be able to provide me US content if it KNOWS I am from Canada??

21 - 40 of 92 Posts