Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Have not used it myself.. but I would ASSUME that its only as good as your cellular services is there.

There is NO rogers home based services where you live? Unfortunately that is a stipulation.. if you can get wired home phone, etc.. you cant get this service :(

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The OP indicated they live in shaw territory so Rogers home phone is not an option. Even if you live within Rogers cable territory you can get Fido wireless home phone without those stipulations.

As gdkitty indicated the quality would be good if you have good cell reception there. However if you rely on your home phone for emergencies, it's not the best idea. The battery backup is only good for 2 hours and cell tower backhauls tend to get easily congested during massive emergencies or power outages.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
True.
Just wasn't quite sure. I lived in Oakville for school, in a boarder area, which had both available.

So they OP would be a candidate for it :) I wasn't aware that Fido had the same thing. Just took a peek, and it looks like the exact same hardware.
Interesting.. since Fido is owned by rogers.. uses the same towers, etc.. that you can get it anywhere in that area with Fido.. but not with rogers :p
Same price too it looks like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Our coverage is pretty good (we're in the center of town by the airport). For emergencies, I don't know if it'd be less reliable than Shaw--probably, I suppose, due to the extra traffic. Just that Shaw is raising their prices (again) Sept 1st, and we just got this Rogers flyer for their wireless home phone--$9.99/month for existing wireless customers.

I hate paying more when there's better deals out there. Options in BC seem more limited than in Ontario unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Rogers Wireless Home Phone?

Hi,

I'm looking for details on Rogers' new home phone service, Rogers Wireless Home Phone, offered in Manitoba (and presumably elsewhere).

I checked the Rogers Home Phone discussion, but there's nothing about it there; only POTS and Rogers Cable-based VoIP service, neither of which are available in Manitoba.

The phone service claims to be available wherever Rogers cell phone service is available, with free Canada-wide LD, free Call Display, and free Voicemail for $9.95/mo ($24.95 if you're not a rogers customer) and no contract.

Before I even consider this phone service, I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with this service, either here in MB or elsewhere in Canada. A few things I'm curious about are:
(1) any hidden charges/billing issues
(2) service reliability/problems
(3) customer support
(4) information about the $29.95 "wireless home phone device" (What is it? make/model/features? can it connect to my LAN?)
(5) any other issues/customer experiences

I'm currently with Shaw phone, and I'm evaluating the alternatives for all my services due to lack of price stability. The $24.95 service would be cheaper than even MTS's most basic POTS service, although it is more than I'm currently paying with Shaw.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
1) As with any wireless service with Rogers, there will likely be a one time $15 connection fee

2)If you're a Rogers wireless customer, put your phone into EDGE mode and make a few phone calls in your home. That will give you an idea as to how reliable the service will be. Battery back up is only 2-4 hours and does not support fax, and security systems, so that's something to keep in mind.

3)This is a fairly simple product so I can't imagine you'll need to contact support that often

4) ZTE WF720. It cannot connect to a LAN, I don't know what benefit that would have to be able to connect this device to your home network

5) I have this in one of my rental properties to replace a POTS line, and have not heard any complaints from my tenants.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It really is no different then RogersOneNumber.

Frankly in this day with the canada wide calling plans. I really see no reason to get a home phone. Why add another bill when ya can get all the calling you need in a cellphone and take it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This has nothing to do with one number. The service works strictly over cellular and does not require or have the capability to use an internet connection.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
As yyzlhr said, it is very different.

RON is reliant on your internet connection to work. The internet can be down, will phone line or cellular is still up.

There are many reasons to still have a home phone line:
- Security System dial out (usually will not work)
- Fax line in/out
- Emergency's. (while I try to keep my cell always charged, there is a chance it will not be, and therefore unavailable if an emergency happens)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not yet

I've talked with my DW about it, and we're just not ready to go completely wireless yet. Down the road, it may be that wireless is the most reliable way to go (if wired infrastructure isn't maintained), but it doesn't seem like we're there yet. :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am trying to go thru the process of installing the Rogers Wireless Home Phone service, and i have the phones all working great, but it's my alarm system that won't connect out over it.

Currently i have all the house phone jacks and the alarm wiring all cross connected, and the Rogers Wireless unit plugged into one of the house jacks.

All the phones that are connected can make/receive calls, it's just that the alarm system won't connect out anymore, says it has a communication error.

Alarm company says they don't know if it will actually work, they haven't seen it to try out yet.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is cell phones use a lot of compression, so you'd have the same problems as with a G.729 codec on VoIP. Back when I used to work with dial up modems, it was generally understood that they'd work fine with G.711 and maybe with the old ADPCM compression, but not much beyond that. Cell phones are designed to carry voice and the codec they use is totally unsuitable for anything else. That's why hold music sounds so horrible over cell phones.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wouldn't trust it. But it could be something to do with the alarm panel dialing 7 digits when 10 is required?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
you would have to REWIRE your security system if you wish to use it with Rogesr Wireles Home phone. By Default, Security systems do not connect to an RJ11 based phone jack, they are usually hard wired in at the demarcation point. to connect your alarm sistem to rogers wireless home phone, you would need to re-wire your alarm systems phone connection so that the RJ31X jack that it uses attaches to the phone 1 port of the Wireless Home phone device, then you would need to attach another jack to the rj31x and attach house hold phones to that. the reason is because the alarm sistem has a feature to "sieze" the line when it communicates/makes calls. and the RJ31x is what allows this to happen if wired properly.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^ Absolutely correct!

I lived in a place that had ADT and it's system was designed for a POTS phone line. The security panel "seizes" the phone line to "report".

This behavior also makes it difficult for those who connect their sat or cable to the phone line when there is a security system involved.

Cameron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts