Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Not always necessarily 17671.

Grandfathered plans do not always stay the same way, same pricing.
Rogers for example, got rid of the old bundle discounts quite a while ago on their old stuff.
Generally the TV plan, etc may be cheaper possibly compared to some of the new ones..
But even so, they are subject to the yearly increases.
So the price, will go up :(
While this is true, grandfathered plans are subject to price increases yes, but they may also be subject to different level of price increases than in-market plans are, also you may definitely get more "value" for your grandfathered plan for the same price as an in-market plan, this is a mistake my parents made at one point they were told to switch to the new "premier" or "premium" cable package, for more value, they switched, and even tho the price was the same, they were missing some channels they had in their old package so to get those channels back they had to pay "extra" and asking for the old package back the reps gave excuses that the packages were no longer able to switch back cus it was grandfathered. they always try to pull fast ones on you to get you off older packages so they can get more money from you

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I find that the issue with newer TV packages is that some of the most popular and expensive channels are being removed from the cheaper packages. They must either be added at extra cost or a higher cost package purchased. This is especially true of Rogers' current packages. When I switched from a grandfathered plan to a newer plan, I was told that I would be getting more channels. That may have been true but the new channels were ones I considered to be useless. A lot of channels that I regularly watched were missing and had to be added back in at extra cost. It has become even worse since then. From what I've seen of Bell's packages they are not any better.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
in my experience, its the same thing with bell vs rogers for the channel packages, just rogers has slightly different packages than bell does, and they can never be 100% the same for other reasons and one of them is that they simply do not all carry the same channels as one another

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have Bell Fibe now but because a major price increase on my plan most likely switching to Rogers Ignite TV / Internet. Will I like the product I'm getting compared to Fibe? What features are better / worse between them? Is the configuration similar? I've done some research but not enough to make me confident my family will like the switch to Ignite TV from Bell Fibe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This was me about 5 months ago. Huge price increase with Bell after my 3 year agreement with them ended. I considered switching to Rogers. The price was a bit better so I did a ton of research. (I was a former 30+ year Rogers customer but left them for Bell after the fiasco of their PVR firmware "upgrade" failure 4 years ago. Wasn't sure I trusted Rogers to go back to them after that bad experience). With my extensive research, I got the feeling that Rogers was playing catch-up. Their offering didn't feel as solid or mature as Bell's. The deal breaker came when I learned that I wouldn't be able to fully control recordings from our cottage (where we are forced to have a non-Rogers or Bell internet provider). If I recall, I couldn't set up new recordings and think I couldn't delete existing ones. Long story short, I stayed with Bell after they cut me a bit of a deal and am pleased to say that I can do everything at the cottage that I can do at home: watch all content and manage all PVR recordings. Happy I stayed with Bell.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love Ignite TV I of course have it in Newfoundland but it has cool features like the ability to FLEX channels (swap them out) for others they allow you to do within your package, I also like how if the power goes out you won’t lose your scheduled recordings. It also has Netflix and a sports app.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You can not watch all the recordings on Fibe tv as well when away from home. AMC is one of them that I can think of.
I am considering Ignite tv as well since Bell Fibe will go up substantially for me next month.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the Popular Package with IGNITE TV I can’t really remember if it included AMC before but I can tell you it either was included or I FLEXED another channel for it because I know I have it now. The IGNITE TV App is awesome !

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can not watch all the recordings on Fibe tv as well when away from home. AMC is one of them that I can think of.
I've read there are some limitations on what you can watch away from home particularly depending on where you are away from home. I'm a subscriber in Ontario but the cottage is in Quebec. We have a non-Bell internet provider in Quebec. So far there has not been any restrictions on live TV we can watch. We've also been able to record and watch any of our channels. We have the "Good" channel lineup so I can't comment on AMC. Most of our TV watching is on the Canadian and American network channels, as well as specialty channels like MTV and discovery.

We also get On Demand which works well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have Bell Fibe now but because a major price increase on my plan most likely switching to Rogers Ignite TV / Internet. Will I like the product I'm getting compared to Fibe? What features are better / worse between them? Is the configuration similar? I've done some research but not enough to make me confident my family will like the switch to Ignite TV from Bell Fibe.
It is difficult to feature and price compare. It likely comes down to your personal preferences. Some differences:
1. as @nicholasname pointed out you cannot currently control recordings remotely (it is a licensing issue)
2. you will not be able to watch any recording if there is an internet outage (a rare issue these days)
3. with Bell you r landline may be active during a power outage (also rare situation) but this may not be this case with Rogers unless you have a UPS
4. internet speed will likely be faster with Rogers as their minimum for Ignite is 150/15
5. changing channels is slight slower with Rogers but not a serious issue

At the end of the day they are just an internet and TV services, and both work, just slightly differently.

·
Registered
267 Posts
3. with Bell you r landline may be active during a power outage (also rare situation) but this may not be this case with Rogers unless you have a UPS
For me this wasn’t really a deal breaker as I have a cell phone with TELUS and portable charger. Rogers Cellular is not as great in Newfoundland for reception.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Actually, with Fibe, you're still reliant on batteries out on the street. There's no longer a copper pair back to the CO. With Rogers, the VoIP terminal includes it's own battery and you can use a UPS to provide even longer support.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
...With Rogers, the VoIP terminal includes it's own battery and you can use a UPS to provide even longer support.
Not true for IgniteTV, which is the topic under discussion. With IgniteTV, you need a UPS in your home to use the "home phone" and the battery at the node and the backup at the head end all need to be working. This (appropriate backup) is the case in fewer and fewer installations.

Even with Digital Cable, a battery in the modem and the modem plugged into a UPS, my phone connection goes down instantly with a power failure, even with the above backups. I suspect a missing/poor battery at the node, but Rogers said they checked it. After quite a few conversations with various Rogers personnel, some of whom sounded pretty knowledgeable, I stopped banging my head against that wall since most of our power failures are pretty short and since I do have a cell phone in case.

These days, one can rarely rely on a "home phone" to be on 100% of the time like it was decades ago.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've heard issues about recording remotely from Ignite from my research but as long as I'm diligent from home to setup recordings and I can use my slingbox if I have to for last minute things. Someone mentioned changing channels takes a while longer, why is that? Does Rogers have the 30 second fast forward button on the remote like bell does on PVR playback or ff on paused programs?Is the replay option for shows you missed available like on Bell? I'm switching from Best with HBO and Time shift on Bell to Rogers Premier with HBO / Crave and Time Shifting also. Anything I should be aware of?

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
I'm not sure about the 30 second skip, but you can skip ahead any amount you want using Voice Control. For example "Skip three minutes". Replay is available for some programming, but you lose FF capability, so it's better to record.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've heard issues about recording remotely from Ignite from my research but as long as I'm diligent from home to setup recordings and I can use my slingbox if I have to for last minute things. Someone mentioned changing channels takes a while longer, why is that? Does Rogers have the 30 second fast forward button on the remote like bell does on PVR playback or ff on paused programs?Is the replay option for shows you missed available like on Bell? I'm switching from Best with HBO and Time shift on Bell to Rogers Premier with HBO / Crave and Time Shifting also. Anything I should be aware of?
The channel change delay is micro seconds, but slower than standard cable or Bell. Maybe it requires some authorization communication to validate that the next channel is available to you. It is not a real issue even if you are channel surfing.

You can configure the remote to perform either a 30 second or 5 minute skip.

Many of the shows have a reply option so if you tune in late you can start from the beginning. The On Demand for viewing something from the past is quite reasonable, some are available for days and others much longer.

Another neat feature is the voice control remote. It is handy for searching for special programs or movies, but 99% of the time I just use my Harmony remote.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
The channel change delay is micro seconds, but slower than standard cable or Bell. Maybe it requires some authorization communication to validate that the next channel is available to you.
IPTV could use either multicast or unicast transmission, depending on whether it's "live" or on demand. Multicast is in some ways similar to switched video, in that the receiver has to request the channel. Routers (and some switches) will detect the request and configure to pass the multicast to every network segment where someone wants to watch it. So, if you're the first viewer, then it will take a bit longer to set up the connection, than if someone else on your node is already watching.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts