Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I think saying "current" Navigatr UI is crap is a little misleading. It's been crap for over a decade, so there is little reason to believe it will some day improve (if anything, in many ways it has gotten *worse*).

·
Registered
959 Posts
Since moving from Rogers to Fibe, I haven't really had an issue that I can think of... As for when I had Rogers, reference the above two comments :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The recent question in this thread is similar to the other recent question of "Rogers vs Other Providers?". The focus of this one is internet and the other is PVR.

If your priority is internet speed and price then Rogers seems to be the winner, but with PVR being the weak link. If PVR is the priority then Bell seems to be the winner. Of course there are the arguments about how much time is spent with the UI vs watching, and does 100mb/s vs 25mb/s really make a difference for just web browsing (which may be 90% of the usage).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Switching from Rogers to Bell

I just finished switching from Rogers to Bell for Fibe TV, unlimited Internet and Home Phone. I was paying $243/mo with Rogers!

I did remain on their wireless cellular plan to retain the Rogers email. It took quite a while to research the pros and cons but in the end I made the switch. I received a lot of help from someone on the Rogers Forum which was great. He wrote long detailed messages which made me feel guilty for not sharing my experiences. So here it is for anyone else who needs help. A key stumbling block was the Rogers email that my spouse wanted to keep. There is a lot written about that and most of it is hearsay and wrong. I eventually found someone at Rogers who knew how to migrate the email registration to a tablet on my cellular plan. Many will say that you loose your Rogers email when you cancel your internet, but so far, we are still using it. The internet side of Rogers and the wireless cellular side are two different entities.

I found the biggest difference is in the internet speed. 63.2 mbps d/l and 10 u/l compared to the Rogers 10 and 1 with their limited 25 GB/mo plan. Bell is now unlimited, but I'll still track my usage. Bell also used a DSL line (~60' in length) to hook up their 3000 modem near my PC. I just couldn't get anyone at Bell to explain how to hook up my PC and TVs with ethernet. Everyone said the technician would do it when he did the installation. I wanted wired connections but I had to end up with a wired connection to my PC and wireless to my TVs. I have the 4K box/receiver and 2 other wireless receivers for the other 2 TVs at the other end of my house (~75' away). So the DSL line is from the copper drop to the 3000 modem. The ethernet connection is from the modem to my PC and the modem sends wireless signals to all the other TV receivers which synch. Recordings now happen anywhere and can be watched anywhere. You can activate internet and TV with Rogers separately, but you must have Bell internet in order to have Bell Fibe TV.

We also have many unwatched programs on our 2 Rogers PVRs, but we own them. So, you can disconnect the PVR from the cable, AND as long as you have power to the boxes they will still connect to your TVs and play your unwatched recordings. You MUST unplug the cable before the "unauthorize" signal is sent to the PVRs after you cancel your TV services. Unfortunately, I forgot to unplug the cable to the PVR and they sent a signal to "unauthorize" the Rogers PVR boxes. My mistake. I therefore had to reactivate the TV for a little bit. They couldn't initiate the reactivate work order until I had returned their modems and the disconnect work order was complete. Their system procedure seems to only allow one open work order at a time. Remember that the PVRs work without the cable connected, as long as they have power so I'll be ready when I finally cut off the TV. Generally speaking the TV definitely has better picture quality after the switch. The Bell tech said that a 4K TV will be 10 times better.

The home phone now works without the VoIP modem, AND as long as the Bell cable doesn't break to the house, the phone will works for more than 3 days during a storm outage. We once lost power for a week and all the batteries died in a couple of days! I am thinking of getting a small solar panel to charge your cell phones in such an emergency.

The Rogers email also seems to have ported over to the wireless mobile side of the house without a problem. We haven't received any messages converting our emails to yahoo for 60 days as one person at Bell told me. The opinions on keeping a Rogers email range from adding your account to someone else's account, to buying a mobile hub or stick and registering your email with that device. I was also told that Smartphones and Tablets can't be used to register your Roger email, but our emails are now registered with the phone number on one of our tablet plans. You just have to make sure you talk to Cellular Tech Support.

So now all we need to do is check the channels we had with Rogers to make sure we have all of them with BELL. The Toronto Buffalo PBS channels is not available it seems! Either is English EuroNews. Now BELL has a good site where they show the Rogers Channels with a postal code input and the equivalent BELL channels. This is very useful. The final cost for Bell was $153/mo. and it is good for 2 years. We will probably add time shifting to get a PBS channel in Seattle for another $5/mo.

I hope this helps someone else thinking of making the switch. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
Thank you for your detailed post. I have a couple of comments.

1. You can certainly shift your e-mail address to someone who has Rogers Internet. Many people have done this, but I'm glad you found another workaround.

2. The PVRs will play recordings as long as they don't lose power, after disconnection from cable, however, they may only play for a few weeks as the firmware may have a "time limit". Make sure you watch your recordings within say 3 weeks to avoid disappointment... The PVRs may play recordings longer, but I didn't want you to be disappointed if they didn't.

(The Bell PVRs need to be connected to Bell because the recordings "check" before each play of each recording.)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Bell service doesn't come with copper-wire phone service - which will run forever without power? 3 days seems a lot until one lived through weeks of no power after the Montreal ice storm (I was good in Ontario, but I was glad I could still phone my mother who had no power for 2-3 weeks, to see if she hadn't frozen to death. One of my aunts had no power for 6 weeks!)

Bell doesn't have the Buffalo PBS station? Even for those in the GTA? What PBS station do they have other than Seattle. How odd ... I know Watertown for the Ottawa Rogers customers was always a touchy issue ...

·
Registered
311 Posts
User14: The Toronto Buffalo PBS channels is not available it seems! Either is English EuroNews.
Welcome to Bell Fibe. PBS Buffalo should be on 1224, and you should get BBC World on 1510. Enjoy!

Reactions: User14 and nfitz

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Bell should have PBS. I believe Bell SATELLITE carries the Washington state PBS feed, but if your in Toronto, you should be able to get the Buffalo PBS station, here try channel 1224 and tell me if it works? I never watched PBS at my in-laws house but they have bell fibe TV and I noticed they get all the Buffalo Stations. The only people who get the Seattle Washington ones are Satellite customers which is different than bell fibe tv.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
The home phone now works without the VoIP modem, AND as long as the Bell cable doesn't break to the house, the phone will works for more than 3 days during a storm outage.
If you're on Fibe, your phone is VoIP.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
When I was with Bell Satellite I watched This Old House Hour on Thursday evenings at 8:00 pm (new episodes). I switched to Bell Fibe and that's the only show I can no longer find on either PBS station (I have the time shifts). The individual shows, This Old House and Ask This Old House are still on Thursdays at 10:00 pm but they are two weeks behind what aired on Bell Satellite. It's weird because they list the correct original air date but Fibe doesn't carry the original airing.

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.
a. Home Phone - The tech indicated that the home phone does get power from the copper drop. James, are you sure it is VoIP? There is no battery backup like the Roger VoIP modem. So, if there is a power failure, I will know for sure. The copper drop is also connected to an Alarm Jack. I am not clear on the wiring requirements with ADT when there is no power to the home.
b. Channels. We get PBS 224 and PBS 1224 but they seem to be the same channel. Maybe they are different. One says east (vermont)& HD, the other says west & HD. Maybe it is Buffalo/Toronto after all. EuroNews (French) is 118 which is unavailable with the Better package.
c. PVRs - Thanks for the heads up on the time out. (57 in Rogers Forum??)
BTW, for those switching, the Fibe app on a Laptop, iPad, SmartPhone is great if you need to move around but continue to watch the Raptors.
Cheers.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
^^^^
Well, if you have Fibe and a copper pair for phone, then that would be unusual, as Bell is moving away from copper. However, your alarm might have something to do with that. I went back and read your earlier post. You mention a DSL line. Is your phone on the same line as DSL? If so, it's only copper out to the street and fibre the rest of the way, if you are on Fibe.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
He said he has Bell FIBE not bell FIBER, Fibe is either FTTH or FTTN depending on where you live. In most areas its a copper to the house so yes your phone will be powered by the CO/SLAM. If your in Toronto you should get the Buffalo feed of PBS on Bell Fibe TV. hope this helps

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
^^^^
Yes, I know what he said. He appears to be on FTTN and copper the rest of the way. All this means is that there is no copper pair back to the CO, which means batteries out at the curb, instead of back at the CO. It's the same situation with Rogers, where the fibre connects the head end to nodes out on the street, with copper the rest of the way. There are batteries in the nodes to power the nodes and whatever equipment is on the coax between the node and home. The difference is Rogers uses a VoIP terminal, with built in battery, instead of providing power to the customer's phone from the batteries in the street.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depending on where you live the PBS affiliate changes but the channel number stays the same )1224 HD / 224 non HD. From my understanding if you are in Kingston or any points east of there, you get switched to the eastern Ontario / Quebec US Affiliate feeds which would be from the Champlain Valley (Vermont / Upstate NY) for PBS, ABC, NBC and CBS. I guess they could've made the switch west of Kingston but if you're in the GTA you shouldn't be getting these affiliates.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
^^^^
...It's the same situation with Rogers, where the fibre connects the head end to nodes out on the street, with copper the rest of the way. There are batteries in the nodes to power the nodes and whatever equipment is on the coax between the node and home. The difference is Rogers uses a VoIP terminal, with built in battery, instead of providing power to the customer's phone from the batteries in the street.
Just as an FYI, I have not been able to use the Rogers phone during recent power failures, even very brief ones. I believe this is because Rogers no longer maintains the batteries at the nodes (too expensive). Internet and Cable also go down, while years ago those would be maintained too. (I have a UPS on my phone modem, on my internet modem/router and on my PVRs and they used to work). Now, the instant that there is a power failure, all three go down - I can see this on my phone modem lights, on my internet modem lights and the fact that the PVR no longer records the programme if there was one scheduled during the power failure).

Rogers denied that I used to get internet and cable in the event of a power failure and also stated that I should be getting phone service for a few hours. They stated that it depends on the location of the power failure, but others have reported similar experiences to mine on the Rogers forum. I followed up with them on this recently through several different conversations with a very helpful person at the "office of the president" I decided not to push this any further as most people have cell phones, so those can be used in the event of an emergency.

As for Bell Fibe, I would expect the phone to go down in the event of a power failure, especially one that lasts for longer than a few hours, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Should be pretty easy to test, or hear from people who have Fibe and have had power failures.

As for PBS, just check the logo. Should be WNED if it's Buffalo/Toronto.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Rogers denied that I used to get internet and cable in the event of a power failure and also stated that I should be getting phone service for a few hours. They stated that it depends on the location of the power failure, but others have reported similar experiences to mine on the Rogers forum. I followed up with them on this recently through several different conversations with a very helpful person at the "office of the president" I decided not to push this any further as most people have cell phones, so those can be used in the event of an emergency.
Perhaps you should mention this to the CCTS, as a phone is considered a life line service. What happens if you have an emergency, when the power's out? Not everyone has a cell phone.

As for batteries, what makes you think Bell will be any better?

41 - 60 of 107 Posts