Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I went ahead and signed up with Fibe. I really like the service so decided to switch from Rogers.

As an owner in a new development they have a 6 month free deal going on.
I got the Fibe 50/50(175GB) internet package at $49.95/month. Free installation and modem
"The Best" TV package with 1 free HDPVR, 2 months free movie package (I will downgrade to "The Better" TV package just before my 6 month period expires).

The only thing I will be paying for in this 6 month period is the rental of an additional HDPVR.

Thanks very much for all of the information everyone. Certainly made it easier for me to decide.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
While the Bell Fibe PVR may be able to record 4 shows, how many HD feeds can it record, simultaneously? Also, if you are recording the max HD streams, how does that affect your internet access?

In my case I am still with Rogers as Fibe TV has not gotten to my neighborhood yet. They say "this year" and my Rogers contract runs out in January. Sounds almost perfect.

From what I know, the Bell PVR is better (not sure about reliability, but the ability to record more simultaneous shows, larger drive, better UI). Is there a possibility of segregating shows -- e.g. the stuff the kids record is in a different folder from what we record? Is there a way to password protect a show at scheduling time (on the Rogers PVR I can only protect it after it's been recorded -- almost totally useless).

Price-wise, I am not sure that Bell is any better than Rogers, to tell you the truth. Sure, you get a great deal for the first 6 months and maybe a 2-year contract with bundling discounts, but eventually the prices become very similar.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
@CW86,

Where do you live? I checked their bundle prices for another area in Ottawa where they *do* have Fibe TV (just enter a different postal code) and the pricing I see is this:

$170/month for the "Better" TV package, with 25/10/100 internet and home phone.

You quoted $103.95/month for "Better" TV and 50/50/175, with home phone. That's a pretty significant difference. Are you telling me we are getting screwed over in Ottawa even more? Probably because we can't get much OTA.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
While the Bell Fibe PVR may be able to record 4 shows, how many HD feeds can it record, simultaneously? Also, if you are recording the max HD streams, how does that affect your internet access?
It can record and/or watch live 3 HD shows and 1 SD show simultaneously.

In the past, your internet would slow down if you were recording or watching TV. However, Bell has now changed their policy and they will only allow you to sign up for an internet tiers that won't result in a degradation in speed due to TV viewing. As a result the maximum speed you can get will vary based on your line conditions and your area. It can range anywhere from 15/10 to 50/10, but there will be no slow downs as the modem is overprovisioned to compensate for the TV streams.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm thinking of switching to Bell, for the ability to record more than 2 programs at once, but mainly because of something that nobody has really mentioned here, other than the thinnest mention of the issue - and that is that the GUI on the Nextbox 2.0 with Rogers is the BIGGEST STEAMING PILE OF FECES I've ever seen in any software/firmware on ANY electric device or computer product I've EVER seen. And I've seen A LOT.

I used to have the previous firmware on my PVR - it was called SARA - and it did most things very well and VERY quickly. The new GUI and TV guide offers a bunch of new features - BUT IT LEAVES OUT A DOZEN ESSENTIAL features that the old firmware offered - and that I used and loved. For example, the new guide doesn't allow you to use slow motion or frame by frame, and you can't record just part of a program, and you can't FF in 15 minute increments at the touch of a button, or skip to the last 5 minutes of a program, or stop recording and delete a program in one step if you decide the program is not interesting.

And worse, much worse - this stupid new Nextbox 2.0 GUI seems to have BEEN DESIGNED BY COMPLETE AND UTTER MORONS. It's like they gave the job to engineers who have NEVER used a PVR. They have just made astonishingly stupid design decisions in the way they set up the guide, and it is SLOW AS MOLASSES and it STILL has a BUNCH OF BUGS and things that will irritate the heck out of you every day.

Can you tell I'm PEEVED? --- end of rant ---

·
Registered
356 Posts
^^^ I switched from Rogers to Bell Fibe last year and am much happier with Bell. Just be aware that (unless I'm missing something) Fibe doesn't offer any of the features you mention either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It can record and/or watch live 3 HD shows and 1 SD show simultaneously.

In the past, your internet would slow down if you were recording or watching TV. However, Bell has now changed their policy and they will only allow you to sign up for an internet tiers that won't result in a degradation in speed due to TV viewing. As a result the maximum speed you can get will vary based on your line conditions and your area. It can range anywhere from 15/10 to 50/10, but there will be no slow downs as the modem is overprovisioned to compensate for the TV streams.
I currently have Bell's 25/10 plan and I get the full 25 down / 10 up. If I signed up for Fibe TV, during times when I wasn't actually watching tv, would my internet download / uploads speeds actually be faster ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
No, Bell has technology in place to restrict your internet speed to whatever you pay for even though your line is overprovisioned to compensate for TV traffic.

Also depending on your neighbourhood, you may be forced to downgrade to 15/10 in order to get Fibe TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I switched from Rogers one year ago.
only gains. more HD channels for less. awesome PQ too.
my internet got upgraded for less as well lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking of switching to Bell, for the ability to record more than 2 programs at once, but mainly because of something that nobody has really mentioned here, other than the thinnest mention of the issue - and that is that the GUI on the Nextbox 2.0 with Rogers is the BIGGEST STEAMING PILE OF FECES I've ever seen in any software/firmware on ANY electric device or computer product I've EVER seen. And I've seen A LOT.

I used to have the previous firmware on my PVR - it was called SARA - and it did most things very well and VERY quickly. The new GUI and TV guide offers a bunch of new features - BUT IT LEAVES OUT A DOZEN ESSENTIAL features that the old firmware offered - and that I used and loved. For example, the new guide doesn't allow you to use slow motion or frame by frame, and you can't record just part of a program, and you can't FF in 15 minute increments at the touch of a button, or skip to the last 5 minutes of a program, or stop recording and delete a program in one step if you decide the program is not interesting.

And worse, much worse - this stupid new Nextbox 2.0 GUI seems to have BEEN DESIGNED BY COMPLETE AND UTTER MORONS. It's like they gave the job to engineers who have NEVER used a PVR. They have just made astonishingly stupid design decisions in the way they set up the guide, and it is SLOW AS MOLASSES and it STILL has a BUNCH OF BUGS and things that will irritate the heck out of you every day.

Can you tell I'm PEEVED? --- end of rant ---
These are exactly my peeves also. Very annoying missing/removed features.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
It's really frustrating that I still can't get the answer to the simple question: when Bell FibeTV is available in my area in six months' time, what tier of service will be available to me? The chat agents are clueless -- every single time they've thanked me for being a loyal Bell customer, even though before you start a chat you must select from a pulldown list what services you have (and I have none). Then they tell me I I can get ADL and satellite for now (after I tell them that my Rogers contract expires in January, just when FibeTV is coming).

Also, saw the fine print that the $10 to get unlimited download is only available if you have three services; $30 otherwise.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Information is not shared between the technical and planning department and Customer Service so you will just have to wait (yes this might mean lost potential customers).

If they thanked you for being a loyal customer does that mean you have a home phone with them. That would be one service, add FibeTV and internet and you are up to 3 services.

Incidentally, use the online inquiry for "available in six months" as a guide and not a commitment. It could be shorter or longer. I waited a few months after the end of my Rogers contract (full rate billing) before I was able to get Fibe. No serious regrets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone Switch to Fibe TV and then Switch Back to Rogers?

Curious if any Rogers subscribers had tried out Bell's Fibe TV, and decided it was better to move back to Rogers.

I'm a long time Rogers user (25 years), but it seems like Bell cares more about having me as a customer, and the Fibe technology looks interesting.

But quality of service (especially PQ) is still the number one consideration for me.

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It has been 20 months since I switched to Bell and no desire or reason to switch back. But I would like to plans to be changed in Ontario to select and pay for only the channels you want (for a lower price of course). Then cutting the cable/FIBE and just using Netflix may not be a consideration.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
I was a cable-Skyline/Rogers sub for 30+ years switch to BTV for 8 years then back to Rogers(biggest mistake I ever made)for about 5 years then switched back to BTV/Bell Fibe. Extremely happy with Bell Fibe. Find it way better. Price wise depending on what you order may or may not be $$$ for me it cheaper with Bell Fibe especially my ethnic package.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It has been 20 months since I switched to Bell and no desire or reason to switch back. But I would like to plans to be changed in Ontario to select and pay for only the channels you want (for a lower price of course). Then cutting the cable/FIBE and just using Netflix may not be a consideration.
Why don't you check out Vmedia tv. They offer one month free trial

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fibe vs Rogers

Rogers has gobbled up the cable company in my area.

I'm contemplating making the switch once the migration is done.

Rogers offers packages with much faster Internet (100mb/s vs the 25 Bell offers), the same amount if not more channels. All of this for a price that is comparable to Bell.

Does anyone have any experience with Rogers?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I find that Rogers delivers the paid for speed all the time with their 'Speedboost' thing for the first few MB of a download. Also Rogers now has native IPV6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
I've been with Rogers for several years. The Internet connection is fine, generally getting more bandwidth than I pay for. As mentioned above, they're now offering IPv6. As for TV, what can I say, other than the current "Navigatr" PVR user interface is crap.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts