Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Interesting story in the Globe and Mail. The first party that made an offer for Shaw was Bell. Think of the complexity of that deal had it gone through. The overlap in Manitoba between MTS and Shaw. Bell would own 2 satellite systems. Seems Roger had to make a sweeter offer with a commitment to do what it takes to get regulatory approval. Seems that the Shaw family are motivated sellers and that a deal was going to be down no matter what. As much as Rogers owning Shaw is unpalatable to many Bell owning them would have been worse in my opinion.

Paywall but story here:

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Shaw would be bad fit with Bell for several reasons. The first is that Bell is not familiar with cable TV technology. Another is that Bell would become a direct competitor with Telus, a company with which it currently has a number of business agreements. The worst aspect of Bell acquiring Shaw is that it would basically leave Western Canada with very little competition in the internet, telephone and cable TV market. Telus would be a much better fit for Bell but, as a consumer, I don't want to see that happen either.

Due to the fact that the satellite TV market is shrinking, the only thing that might make some sense from a business aspect is Bell acquiring Shaw Direct. There are only two satellite TV companies in the US and they are in trouble. With one tenth the customers, Canada does not have enough people to support two satellite TV operators and I suspect that Shaw Direct will be a financial drain for Rogers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lol Shaw direct being a financial drain is the point: to offset the obscene revenues and profits from data/mobile. Losses against revenues make for lower taxes. Throw more rolls of c-notes on the fire Ted warms himself by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rogers will probably transition Shaw email users to new Rogers email addresses. It's been done several times before when Rogers acquired other companies or changed email providers. It's not a painless transition but it usually preserves emails, contacts and other information. I keep a record of every significant place an email is used, along with usernames, passwords and other important information. Password managers are handy for that.
in the 2000, was forced to transition from Rogers to Shaw email. Do not want to go back to Rip off Rogers.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Media Advisory - CRTC to Hold a Hybrid Hearing .

The CRTC will hold a hearing commencing on Monday, November 22 at 9 a.m. MST (11 a.m. EST) to consider Rogers Communications' application to acquire Shaw Communications' broadcasting assets, which include its cable and satellite services.

A live video feed of the hearing will be available on the CRTC website or follow the hearing and obtain tabled documents during the proceeding on Twitter: @CRTCHearings

Reference documents and links:
Hearing Agenda
Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2021-281

----

The Competition Bureau and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada will also review the transaction. The CRTC hearings will cover only the change in ownership of the broadcasting assets, which requires their prior approval.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have no problem if Rogers swallows the broadcast side of Shaw. It’s the data/communications I’m much more keenly interested in. If we have fewer, more expensive choices there, we should all be irate, unless we’re made stakeholders in the national public network.
This is broadcast asset-specific - No mention of data/communications. Is that a different day/meeting/issue? Let’s not get confuzzled here- the broadcast side is checkers compared to the chess game on the data/commo side.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
No mention of data/communications. Is that a different day/meeting/issue?
The CRTC doesn't have the authority to block the ISP or wireless portions of the acquisition, so they won't have any hearings on that portion. I don't think if the Competition Bureau or Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada hold public hearings and I don't know if they solicit consumer input. I only hear about their decisions after they're made, but I don't follow them as closely as the CRTC.

On the BDU side, I read that the combined Rogers/Shaw will have almost 50% of the English Canada market, which gives them a tremendous amount of power to decide which channels can launch, how they will be distributed and how much they will cost the consumer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yuck.
There are 4 internet connections under this roof: a DSL and 3 Freedom Mobile phones. It’s a given that the 3 phone plans will be changing after the grandfathering period; the DSL will also, likely more immediately. And it has risen already to uncomfortable.
This is untenable. We have to stop this corporate creep that increasingly grinds us. The Rogers family and shareholders (I’m surprised they’ve stuck around given the shenanigans lately) have enough money.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I don't know if this deal will go threw or not, but I'm not sure if that rule about owning channels 3 to 1 or is 5 to 1 that Rogers will need to add certain channels to Shaw Cable & satellite?
That 5:1 rule was in the early days of category 1 and 2 channels. In 2011 when they became category A and B channels it went to down to 3:1 rule. Since the genre rules were relaxed, there is no longer any rule around carriage of specialty channels. With that being said, the Corus Entertainment channels (owned by Shaw family) are not part of the sale to Rogers and thus Rogers will not be acquiring any broadcasting assets (Aside from a handful of Shaw TV community channels mostly located in smaller communities).

121 - 132 of 132 Posts