Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
BlueCurve and Ignite are both based on Comcast X1, which is a complex end-to-end solution covering TV, Internet and Billing, with lots of opportunities for customization. Shaw implemented X1 a few years before Rogers and supports things like wired STBs. Depending on how anxious they are to rebrand, they might be able to do that in 2022 and run "Western Canada Ignite" with Rogers' name on the STBs and bills, but will still operate the same as Shaw Cable does now.

They are both pushing new customers to X1 and will let the legacy systems peter out until they decide to pull the plug, like they just announced with Source Cable.

Bell MTS, Bell Aliant and Bell Canada still aren't identical, even after all these years, even though the IPTV was Mediaroom in all three. Part of the difficulty is the internet infrastructure is different in all three. Rogers/Shaw would have the benefit of a common platform.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
My curiosity will be Shaw Direct and how that plays out.
My guess is, migration to Rogers billing. I'd imagine their online VOD will just migrate to Rogers AnyPlace and the service will be renamed Rogers Direct or Rogers Satellite. My guess is they will stick with Mororola/Arris equipment. Not sure if there is any other consumer manufacturer out there that makes Digicipher decoders.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
They are both pushing new customers to X1 and will let the legacy systems peter out until they decide to pull the plug, like they just announced with Source Cable.
They have been migrating Source Cable, Compton Cable and Kincardine Cable customers for a few years now. I'm in a townhouse condo so I was not eligible to switch up until now. Not sure how aggressive they will be migrating legacy Shaw customers to Ignite but I'd imagine any new customers will go on Ignite.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
For those wondering about equipment. My guess is when the sale is finalised Shaw customers out west will be moved to Rogers for billing. I would assume within a year, those with Shaw Bluecurve will likely just migrate to Rogers Ignite (I think Bluecurve uses the same equipment as Ignite). As for legacy stuff like the Gateway and all the Motorola/Arris boxes, those will remain until legacy digital services are completely phased out.

I live in the former Source Cable area in Hamilton. They were bought by Rogers back in 2014. They never migrated any of the customers to any of Rogers legacy services. You basically had to migrate to Rogers Ignite TV.
I wonder how Rogers will deal with Shaw Direct 'southern province' subscribers - billing, equipment, etc.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Rogers will probably transition Shaw email users to new Rogers email addresses. It's been done several times before when Rogers acquired other companies or changed email providers. It's not a painless transition but it usually preserves emails, contacts and other information. I keep a record of every significant place an email is used, along with usernames, passwords and other important information. Password managers are handy for that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does anyone know what spectrum Cogeco owns? Bonus points: is that spectrum complimentary to Freedom’s? And/or Videotron’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Does anyone know what spectrum Cogeco owns? Bonus points: is that spectrum complimentary to Freedom’s? And/or Videotron’s?
Cogeco spent $24 million on mainly 2500 MHz spectrum in 2018 for small and mid-sized cities in Ontario and Quebec. Freedom was bidding for the same spectrum.
They want to service their cable customers and roam on the big 3. See:
www.digitalhome.ca/threads/crtc-to-allow-small-wireless-carriers-to-piggyback-on-big-3-networks.293270/

·
Registered
252 Posts
Maybe we should be encouraging the competition bureau to suggest Rogers sell freedom to Cogeco, then, as a condition of the Shaw purchase. And then put Videotron and Cogeco in the same room to marry like BCTel and AGT did to become Telus.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some TV makers have been using wifi for tracking TV owners for years. They are also using technology to track viewing habits by analyzing the picture to deduce the programming. This has caused a consumer backlash in some countries. Meanwhile, streaming services track everything the viewer watches as do the streaming devices that most people use.

That may not be the same 5G as currently available mobile phones. The 60GHz or mm band has tons of bandwidth but very short range. 60GHz 5G can be used to eliminate wiring to the home and replace it with a 5G capable modem.
So you just proved 5G is not needed in 4K TV. WIFI is sufficient for tracking tv watching.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The point is that there is little difference between a smart phone and smart tv save for a larger screen that isn’t touch sensitive. The electronics making these commodity appliances smart come off the same line...your smart tv will include a 5g radio in addition to wireless wifi6e radio. They’re probably being designed into one chip. Welcome to the 3rd decade of the 21st century. The line for jet packs forms to the right; Soylent Green factory tours to the left (boomers only).
Media is data, and people are buying lots of data, be that “cable tv” “home internet” “cell phone” “streaming service” - the world is digital now and you’ll pay for each bit one way or another, like it or not...and you’ll need to because that is how businesses will serve their customers - banks, doctors, grocery and restaurant food delivery services, schools, government...

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
The devices powering most modern devices are called a System On a Chip or SOC. SOCs are at the heart of almost all smartphones, TVs and smart devices. They include one or more CPUs, GPUs, one or more types of communications devices, RAM, ePROM and everything else needed to make a small computer. SOCs are specifically developed for certain types of devices and contain so many functions that they are not always fully utilized. Device manufacturers just license what they actually intend to use. The main differences between devices is the model of SOC used and the external components, such as the screen.

To get back on topic, it looks like Shaw is far behind other wireless companies with rolling out LTE. Not sure where Shaw is with 5G but I would guess they have little to none. That's typical of Shaw. They are usually years behind other companies in rolling out new technology and performing system maintenance and upgrades. It was a no-brainer for Rogers to commit to spending billions of dollars on investment on things like LTE, 5G and internet infrastructure because Shaw's system will need it for Rogers to compete with Telus and Bell. That's good news for current Shaw customers and western Canada in general. The downside is that there will be one less competitor in the wireless market, yet again, and someone has to pay for the acquisition and upgrades. While the Shaw family is relaxing on the tropical island tax haven they purchased with the windfall from selling Shaw, Rogers customers will be paying the bill.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the proposed Shaw/Rogers merger is causing people to re-evaluate their relationship with Shaw. I have been in touch with Shaw's Executive Office, and they've been overwhelmed with many customer service complaints over the last 24 months.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts