Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
But is it, really?
So what if Rogers buys Shaw and rolls freedom mobile into the family? Telecom and media/entertainment are still going to be a mess for end users here no matter what happens, and we will still pay more for all of the data, content and network access than our global peers. This is what the uproar is about, especially when comms and entertainment and data are so bloody necessary to functioning at this point in time. We canadians are generally far to passive and accepting - almost grateful for the 2nd rate service at premiere prices we pay, just so we can look relevant to our global peers- how else do we interact with them personally or professionally? What else do we have to talk about if it isn’t Netflix or Disney+ stuff that we’re binge watching?
C’mon now. Don’t be upset that we’ve derailed the topic thread on a webboard- be upset that we’re being lied to and squeezed about how rich we actually are, and grant license to our government to allow them to permit the corporates in question to do so so easily.
Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Biden has the right idea. He's proposing the funding of a utility model for internet infrastructure and providing hundreds of $billions in funding to communities and non-profit groups for installing fibre to the home. The cheapest and best internet access in the US is provided by communities and non-profits. The incumbents know this and actively lobby state governments to enact laws to make such projects illegal.

So how does this apply to Rogers taking over Shaw? Rogers and Shaw did a similar thing to prevent small groups from starting their own cable systems and providing competition. Since then they have worked to eliminate competition and consolidate ownership of cable systems in most of the country. The culmination of that is the Shaw acquisition by Rogers. The fallout is a virtual monopoly by a handful of telecoms and cable companies that own all of the internet infrastructure, serve only the most profitable areas and either don't serve or don't compete in less profitable areas. I don't care if Rogers and Shaw merge. What I care about is who will pay for the cost of acquisition. Historically, those costs are borne by customers and employees while owners and shareholders realize huge financial gains.

The other issue is providing long term high speed internet access at a reasonable cost to the majority of Canadians. That will not be realized by nebulous promises like spending money on upgrades. That would have been done anyway in order to compete with telecoms in highly profitable markets. That money needs to be directed to provide service to more Canadians who are currently not served or are underserved. The alternative is for the government to start treating fibre infrastructure as a common carrier maintained by utilities and providing money for local utilities and non-profit groups to install it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Another phenomenon is the unintended side effects of competition. The obvious one is lower prices from incumbents. The others are improved service and the extension of serviced areas. I read an interesting article about how a person in one area decided to provide internet in an unserviced community where he lived. The telecom in the area had insisted the area was unserviceable. Once he acquired the necessary approvals for an affordable implementation using wireless and started the rollout, the telecom announced it was installing fibre to the community. Non-profit groups and communities are often available to provide more affordable solutions because they don't hide behind high profit, high overhead corporate structures that inflate cost and limit the viability of small internet systems.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Question?

I don't know the out come of this deal and whether certain parts of the company need to be sold, assuming this gets approved by the CRTC and others involved, how long are we looking at? When will we know if it's YA? or NA?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Follow the story in the news media. Or on Reddit. The people on r/freedommobile are pretty good at updating the followers with the machinations as they hear of them. Someone even posted the proper link with the right form to submit to the competition bureau to voice their objections/concerns. You should ask for your MP to do that on your behalf when expressing yours to them. Especially if yours is part of the govt.

·
Super Moderator
18,883 Posts
I don't know the out come of this deal and whether certain parts of the company need to be sold, assuming this gets approved by the CRTC and others involved, how long are we looking at? When will we know if it's YA? or NA?
Rogers expects it will take until next year until all the approval decisions are made. From the press release on page 1 of this thread: "Subject to receipt of all required approvals, closing of the Transaction is expected to occur in the first half of 2022."

·
Registered
252 Posts
An interesting perspective on Competition in Canada:

That resonates with me - I’m seeing the cognitive dissonance in the faces of my parents grandchildren when the boomers try to explain things to the kids that make no sense to them and go against what they see and know.

I suspect building back better towards the new normal will involve significant destruction to create a foundation to grow upon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Apartment owners are allowed to have dishes they just are not allowed to mount them on the building or drill a hole for the cable through the brick but there are ways to do this using a mounting stand and running a cable through a screen door or other ways. I contemplated getting a dish when I was in an apartment but didn't have the right exposure at that time and stuck with Rogers. There are very few people that actually do get dishes in buildings but it is not impossible or illegal per se.
Read the strata bylaws. Stratas can fine owners that have a dish on their balcony and doesn't need to be mounted. Canada needs an over the air device rule similar to the USA. Been asking the CRTC and Industry Canada to do this for years and get ignored. CRTC is only interested in protecting the cable companies. They don't care about consumers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It may be you’re right, but I see the lines between home wifi and mobile data blurring. This is what they’re trying to accomplish or solidify with a merger - data is data and it costs X. A home node connected to the fibre network will also be a 5G relay...and the 5G relay node on the fibre backbone will mesh wirelessly with the neighbours and strengthen the mobile network for constant connectivity and seamless transitions (and tracking accurate to the millimeter, for the tinfoil hat crew lol). So streaming over an internet connection or getting broadcast television over the air will become moot, as content will be content, just as data is data, regardless of who or how or where.
Time will tell who’s right or closer to. I’ve only another 30 yrs or so, but my bones tell me that’s where it’s headed.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
TV will not have 5G mobile data. All current TV use WIFI standards. That will not change.
Some TV makers have been using wifi for tracking TV owners for years. They are also using technology to track viewing habits by analyzing the picture to deduce the programming. This has caused a consumer backlash in some countries. Meanwhile, streaming services track everything the viewer watches as do the streaming devices that most people use.

T-Mobile in the states is launching home internet using 5G.
That may not be the same 5G as currently available mobile phones. The 60GHz or mm band has tons of bandwidth but very short range. 60GHz 5G can be used to eliminate wiring to the home and replace it with a 5G capable modem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thank you
The enlightenment continues...let’s poke around some more like this and shine into the murkier corners, please.
For instance- mmWave being short range: how short? Are the transmitter nodes placed upon fibre infrastructure, potentially in homes and businesses?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Where this convo has gone is exactly why Rogers is buying Shaw, 57: Media companies controlling distribution to their subscribers for control of the market. 5G and fibre and OTA and cable - they all move packets of 1’s and 0’s whether it’s a “phone call” or video chat or Netflix stream or local news broadcast or loading your Twitter or Facebook feeds. Controlling access and distribution is where they make their money, be it “television” or “cell phones” or “internet” - it has all converged. It’s a commodity like electricity, natural gas, water. What we need to fight for is pricing - bulk rates commensurate with prevailing international prices. What we also need to fight for is neutrality and free access to global sources/markets.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
For those wondering about equipment. My guess is when the sale is finalised Shaw customers out west will be moved to Rogers for billing. I would assume within a year, those with Shaw Bluecurve will likely just migrate to Rogers Ignite (I think Bluecurve uses the same equipment as Ignite). As for legacy stuff like the Gateway and all the Motorola/Arris boxes, those will remain until legacy digital services are completely phased out.

I live in the former Source Cable area in Hamilton. They were bought by Rogers back in 2014. They never migrated any of the customers to any of Rogers legacy services. You basically had to migrate to Rogers Ignite TV.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bluecurve is identical to Ignite (Both are just Comcast X1) so that would not be affected (literally all they would need to do is a quick software update remotely to re-skin to Rogers branding and such) at all and you're right about the Motorola / Arris boxes. My curiosity will be Shaw Direct and how that plays out.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts