Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I won’t be surprised if someone is trying to link these right now actually...and I will be less surprised when they find it.

Back on topic, some redditor posted a CP article about the competition bureau getting hit hard with concerns over the deal. This is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There has always been a lack of competition if you live in an apartment. Apartment owners are banned from getting satelite and antenna. CRTC still refuse to introduce rule like the FCC to allow anyone to have antenna.

·
Registered
183 Posts
5G is not needed for ATSC 3.0. All you need is any antenna. There is no such thing as a 4k antenna. All antennas can receive 4K and HD. The internet can complement atsc 3 to allow targeted advertising, this can be done with your home wifi. ATSC 3 only requires the broadcasters to upgrade their equipment to send out the 4K TV.
The two will go together for licensing purposes- atsc3.0 to send signal out, 5G to get telemetry back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
That in itself is nothing special. Similar things have been done for years using different technology. The big difference is the potential scale, contribution to the surveillance economy and the amount of commoditization by ultra-rich corporations and their owners. I don't see anything "amazing" about 5G. Some of the technologies it uses are pretty amazing but they have been used elsewhere, such as for wifi, already. I could just as easily made up something like "Wifi is Amazing" and listed off some of its amazing, similar technologies. In summary, some of 5G's technologies, amazing. 5G marketing and that un-amazing article about 5G, hype.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Maybe the owners but I've sen APTs with dishes on the balconies and no one stop you having an antenna inside your apt.?
There has always been a lack of competition if you live in an apartment. Apartment owners are banned from getting satelite and antenna. CRTC still refuse to introduce rule like the FCC to allow anyone to have antenna.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Apartment owners are allowed to have dishes they just are not allowed to mount them on the building or drill a hole for the cable through the brick but there are ways to do this using a mounting stand and running a cable through a screen door or other ways. I contemplated getting a dish when I was in an apartment but didn't have the right exposure at that time and stuck with Rogers. There are very few people that actually do get dishes in buildings but it is not impossible or illegal per se.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
In my condo, some units have a satellite dish mounted on the balcony. There used to be a ban on any antennas, but that was revoked.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yup, gotta hand it to the FCC - they supported TiVo by mandating cable cards for the last 20 years, and support consumers by antenna and satellite dish laws. Then Ajit Pai came along and ruined most of it. Thank goodness he’s gone.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I doubt Rogers is capable of making their TV service "better for all." They need to make a major effort on that. It's ironic that Rogers once was a market leader for cable TV and developed cutting edge technologies that were adopted by other cable companies. Now it's just a second rate TV service reduced to buying TV technology from US companies.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I doubt Rogers is capable of making their TV service "better for all." They need to make a major effort on that. It's ironic that Rogers once was a market leader for cable TV and developed cutting edge technologies that were adopted by other cable companies. Now it's just a second rate TV service reduced to buying TV technology from US companies.
They did try to build their own solution for IPTV, but at some point if someone else has a better solution available it doesn't make sense to do it yourself "because reasons".

My family actually finds the Ignite TV offering to be more than competitive with Fibe, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. If you want linear TV, Rogers has a pretty solid product.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
The legacy Rogers Digital TV product is getting worse by the month. Every time they do a firmware update it breaks things, especially for whole home. The guide is getting worse all the time as well. It's as if they are trying to drive away customers. It's getting so it's full of bugs all the time and unwatchable at random times. Some Nextbox bugs have been known for years, since they were introduced, but there is no sign that they will be fixed. There are lots of documented issues with Ignite TV as well. I had similar issues with Bell Satellite at one time but, unlike Rogers, they fixed most of them.

I got the impression that Roger's IPTV effort was a failed project. I read that they sunk almost 2 $billion into it and were nowhere near having a working product. If their software development for the Digital TV platform is any indication, Rogers appear to be incapable of building or maintaining a modern digital TV platform. Their failed IPTV platform probably proves it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am sure that is why they purchased the IPTV platform. Good software takes a lot of staff and really good processes. That would go against profitability.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I understand that. It's why Bell purchased their satellite technology and equipment from Dish Satellite when it was launched. Bell has profited enormously from their agreements with Dish over the years since. I believe Bell purchased an industry standard IPTV product as well. Other companies often went for vendors that didn't have a stake in the TV industry (other than selling hardware) and it shows in the lower quality of services and products. Rogers purchased their IPTV product from Comcast but it's still under development and Rogers seems to be behind in implementing new features. I have doubts it will ever be finished. Cable, fibre and satellite TV services are dying industries. The only thing keeping them going are vested interests and government regulation. In the US, they are rapidly being replaced by OTT services launched by broadcasters and other OTT services.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A box that lets you find anything you own or have access to is going to be the winner, IMO. The Ignite box is pretty close to that. If they can get Apple, Disney, Paramount, etc then it would be great to have a single interface to content. It works ok for that now, just not comprehensive enough.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts