Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Rogers and Shaw are like dinosaurs.
Shaw was always the bigger dinosaur and well behind Rogers every step of the way. Shaw's satellite service also lagged Bell satellite in many respects.

Allow any foreign company to come to Canada.
Competition, yes. Allow big US phone and cable companies into Canada, no. Verizon is worse than Bell when it comes to pricing and rolling out new infrastructure. (Verizon was Bell in the US before it was broken up under anti-trust legislation and renamed.) What we need are new contenders that will lower prices and expand in underserved markets. Google internet forced US internet companies to lower prices and improve services in the markets they entered. Unfortunately, they stopped building new systems. We need a Canadian version of Google internet, not only for internet but also for wireless and TV. Big US telecoms are more likely to buy up existing Canadian companies and further reduce competition.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Why is 5g critically needed?
5G as it is currently being rolled out is not needed and provides very little that isn't currently done with 4G. It is a good development in that it is an incremental upgrade for new low frequency bands and the equipment that serves them. The full benefits of 5G will take some time to arrive and will happen when the 60GHz band is rolled out.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
...They make no attempt to upgrade all cable channels to 4K.
It's a little off topic for this thread, however, there are very few channels available that have any 4K content, so your beef is not with the service providers, but rather with the broadcasters (Granted Bell and Rogers own some broadcast channels). Most broadcast content is only 720P or 1080i, with some SD (480i) and extremely limited 4K. See FAQ below:

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
You can't blame the cable companies(EXcluding Rogers or Shaw)or not having 4K or at least some cable companies. You have to blame the producers of the shows for not having 4K. You can't show 4K if there no programing in 4K, anfd not just sports but all programing.

Shaw & Rogers own TV channels blame them for not producing shows that their company makes.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It is a competition issue. Cable TV is stuck in the past. 4K tv has been available since 2013. They make no attempt to upgrade all cable channels to 4K. Rogers and Shaw are like dinosaurs. Now there is less incentive to upgrade to 4K. More canadians will just cancel cable and buy an antenna and pay for 4K Netflix. Who wants to watch TV in crappy 720p or that fake HD called 1080i.
Cable is moving to IPTV, so I don't see them doing much to upgrade the digital system.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
It might just change to @rogers.com(assuming no one has that e-mail address).

What will be interest is what happens when someone with not a common name has one person with Shaw & the other with Rogers that have identical first & last names but one is @Shaw the other @Rogers?

·
Registered
601 Posts
How would I deal with all of my emails? I doubt that anyone knows all of their email contacts to be able to inform them of an email address change. There would be many invaluable lost contacts.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yes agree. Remember the negative billing controversy in the 1990's in Vancouver. Rogers Cable was the most hated company in Vancouver. Then when Shaw took over in 2004, everyone was celebrating to get rid of Rogers.
Shaw assumed cable rights in 2001, not in 2004.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
How would I deal with all of my emails? I doubt that anyone knows all of their email contacts to be able to inform them of an email address change. There would be many invaluable lost contacts.
Way back when @home died, Rogers moved the mail to their own servers and then again to Yahoo. So, you will likely retain all your mail. As for incoming mail, they might just forward from Shaw to your Rogers account on Yahoo. Also, depending on your email client, you may be able to archive all the Shaw email.

BTW, I have all my contacts in my address book, so it wouldn't be hard to send a notice to whoever.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why is 5g critically needed?

I test speed on LTE and getting upto 400Mbps in Vancouver on Fido. LTE is good enough. 5G is BS.
Well - and if you have a tinfoil hat this is where you need to put it on and make sure it’s on good and tight in case your head explodes -
5G is capable of higher speeds, yes, but it also compliments the next OTA television standard, NextGen or ATSC3.0 with, yes, 4k video and 22.2 channels of audio. But in the mmWave bands of 5G and bidirectional communication over the television frequencies, every channel is monetizable with per-device licenses and tracking much more accurate than GPS we have today. So, the capability is there to feed us immersive tailored content that we pay for, they track is for the laser beams from the sky to turn us into smoking grease spots anywhere we go for not paying our viewing licenses or taxes or whatever. And kill the bees and birds with all the radiation.

Seriously- 5G gets fast internet spread to more people more cost effectively and faster than running wires or fibre. We have lots of space to cover in this country, and the govt (meaning taxpayers) pays companies for helping them live up to their election promises.

Sarcasm and fake news aside, there are probably some nuggets of truth in what I wrote. Do your own research. Trust, but verify. This is building the trans Canada railway, from coast to coast to northern coast with the ability to move data quickly and easily. One way or another we pay for it, either through taxes or monthly fees to the corporations who own and manage them. Plus que change, plus la meme chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
And causes COVID! ;)
I won’t be surprised if someone is trying to link these right now actually...and I will be less surprised when they find it.

Back on topic, some redditor posted a CP article about the competition bureau getting hit hard with concerns over the deal. This is good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Shaw was always the bigger dinosaur and well behind Rogers every step of the way. Shaw's satellite service also lagged Bell satellite in many respects.

Competition, yes. Allow big US phone and cable companies into Canada, no. Verizon is worse than Bell when it comes to pricing and rolling out new infrastructure. (Verizon was Bell in the US before it was broken up under anti-trust legislation and renamed.) What we need are new contenders that will lower prices and expand in underserved markets. Google internet forced US internet companies to lower prices and improve services in the markets they entered. Unfortunately, they stopped building new systems. We need a Canadian version of Google internet, not only for internet but also for wireless and TV. Big US telecoms are more likely to buy up existing Canadian companies and further reduce competition.
Canadian version of google is not need. There is already google.ca. Cancon and regional protections needs to be put to death. I should be able to watch tv from any country. Antennas don't respect borders.

Wind Mobile was foreign owned until the CRTC objected and allowed Shaw to buy it. Canada need to drop all foreign ownership restrictions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well - and if you have a tinfoil hat this is where you need to put it on and make sure it’s on good and tight in case your head explodes -
5G is capable of higher speeds, yes, but it also compliments the next OTA television standard, NextGen or ATSC3.0 with, yes, 4k video and 22.2 channels of audio. But in the mmWave bands of 5G and bidirectional communication over the television frequencies, every channel is monetizable with per-device licenses and tracking much more accurate than GPS we have today. So, the capability is there to feed us immersive tailored content that we pay for, they track is for the laser beams from the sky to turn us into smoking grease spots anywhere we go for not paying our viewing licenses or taxes or whatever. And kill the bees and birds with all the radiation.

Seriously- 5G gets fast internet spread to more people more cost effectively and faster than running wires or fibre. We have lots of space to cover in this country, and the govt (meaning taxpayers) pays companies for helping them live up to their election promises.

Sarcasm and fake news aside, there are probably some nuggets of truth in what I wrote. Do your own research. Trust, but verify. This is building the trans Canada railway, from coast to coast to northern coast with the ability to move data quickly and easily. One way or another we pay for it, either through taxes or monthly fees to the corporations who own and manage them. Plus que change, plus la meme chose.

5G is not needed for ATSC 3.0. All you need is any antenna. There is no such thing as a 4k antenna. All antennas can receive 4K and HD. The internet can complement atsc 3 to allow targeted advertising, this can be done with your home wifi. ATSC 3 only requires the broadcasters to upgrade their equipment to send out the 4K TV.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts