Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone heard anything about there being more NHL games in HD this season? Seems to me it's been about the same for the last 3 seasons now, I was expecting them to slowly get more and more but 2-4 a night maximum is all there ever seems to be, even if there's 12 games on in a night.

Pretty annoying when there are 4 games on and none are in HD.

So, any additional games in HD this year?

Also is there a schedule released for Center Ice informing what games will be in HD?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rogers has increased their HD capacity recently. I expect they will be able to air more HD games this year. There are two issues to deal with: Is the game produced in HD and is there HD room on the cable? The answer to both this year should YES more often than last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ordering NFL RedZone

Has anyone had any luck ordering NFL RedZone with Rogers? You can't order it through their website, nor by using the remote. So I called, said I wanted to add the RedZone channel and they thought I meant the Super Sports Pak. I said no, I already have that and what I want is the NFL RedZone that I see in my guide on channel 440. After being repeatedly being put on hold, told that its not available yet (I pointed out their official blog says that it already is), that I should be already getting it (I'm not) I was finally told that maybe its being rolled out slowly in different areas and it might not be available in my area (Whitby, ON) yet and to try again later which made no sense. Frustrating to say the least.

Has anyone had any success ordering the channel? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Red Zone is part of NFL SUnday ticket for ones that order the Super Sports Pak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought it was separate? Either way, I already have the Super Sports Pak, so why would the RedZone channel be showing up as not authorized?

·
Registered
3 Posts
An update: called back this morning and was once again told that they couldn't find the channel. Had read elsewhere that it is listed as a pay-per-view (I guess since its a one time charge for the whole season?) so asked her to check in ppv's and she was then able to find it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where will the centre ice HD channels show up on the guide?

I see Rogers NHL Centre ice from 451-461, but none of them are listed as HD channels right now and I can't find any separate HD Centre Ice anywhere, so does anyone know?

I had centre ice last year but can't recall where the HD ones were.

Edit: For that matter where will any hd super sports pak channels show up? Only ones I can see are the NHL sunday ticket channels...I don't watch baseball but I just looked through and can't find a single one in HD at any time...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
HD for Centre Ice last year was 490-498. They also used that range last year for NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.

As noted earlier in this thread (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1145783&postcount=15), Rogers now appears to be using their full set of 24 HD channels located from 361-384 rather than just the first 9 also located from 490-498.

So where Hockey will be, who knows, but I am sure it will be there.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Thought I would share my experience from earlier today...

So earlier today when all of the 1pm NFL football was on, I wanted to watch the Braves/Mets game, but it wasn't listed anywhere in SD or HD in Super Sports package. I noticed it was listed on WPIX but I don't subscribe to the US Superstation package (I don't see the point of paying an extra $4.99 for just WPIX and KTLA when WGN and WSBK are also included in the HD Speciality Package). Anyways I called up Rogers and asked what channel the game is on, as in the past unless the game is on a Canadian station (TSN, Sportsnet, The Score, CBC, etc) the game is listed in Super Sports. The CSR spent some time looking for it but was unable to and couldn't figure out why, so he decided to give me a credit that would give me Super Sports free for the month - didn't even have to ask.

What I don't get is, it wouldn't had taken any extra bandwith for Rogers to just duplicate the WPIX feed in both SD and HD the MLBEI range...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Um, there isn't a mandatory commitment at all to Super Sports, however you don't get the promotional pricing unless you commit to either 4 or 12 months. Since every sports season that is included in the pacakge runs for at least 4 months, it just makes sense to at least get the 4 month promotion.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
SMCKINNON24 is incorrect. :eek: RedZone is not a part of the Super Sports Pak, nor do you have to order the SSP to get it. You can pay the $49 and receive the service on channel 440, regardless of whether you sub to the SSP or not.

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You would have to be a real hardcore NFL fan to order RedZone, which means you're likely to also have the SSP as well to get NFL Ticket.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think if you get SSP, you also get NFL games online as well which would be great if you are away from home. I'm not sure if there is a small additional fee for this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any room for negotiation?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a digital cable subscriber and am interested in adding the SSP to our line-up. While the $29.95 price seems quite reasonable (except to the wife you thinks our $100 cable bill is already too high), has anyone been able to negotiate a better deal? I'm not interested in the 2 month free/ 12 month commitment as I wouldn't watch the summer sports, e.g. baseball.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
If you can get retention to give you a discount across the board, as many on this forum have done for anywhere on average from 15-40% (and check the proper threads), it will apply to your SSP. So at 30%, it knocks off $7 or $8 a month.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many thanks

Many thanks for your advice alebowgm. I spoke with several CSR's today and received the 30% across the board discount, and they threw in a couple of theme packs for a couple of months to boot. The new discounted rate now including the SSP is a little less than what I was paying previously.

I'd also like to mention that all of the CSR's I spoke with were very courteous, as I simply explained that I didn't have the time to play the "retention" angle that is the strategy many have used with success. That seemed to resonate with them.

So, many thanks for the great advice.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Hard to say. Last year only 2 or 3 games at any given time were shown in HD, often with a flash cut after a game was over to a different game. However, Rogers has opened up the HD range in the 3xx for sports, so in theory its added capacity that wasn't there in past years that can now be used for NBA games. I say in theory because it remains to be seen, as they can just allocate additional NHL games to HD instead.

In truth, if it is broadcast in HD, then Rogers should carry it in HD one way or another.

21 - 40 of 199 Posts