Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes this is a serious question. I'm trying to help some friends on Rogers Ottawa who are still using a DTA50 and coax cable (!). I don't know exactly what they get and what they watch and what they pay, trying to figure that out. I do know they watch Vision and W in addition to CBC, CTV, etc., as they've mentioned them. I'm expecting to save them money, and possibly get a better viewing experience. But their expectations are low, so the former may outweigh the latter.

Buried on the Rogers site is a Starter Package for $25/mo that includes what I think of as "all the stations you can get OTA, plus a few mandatory others and 5 US networks". Then the Nextbox HD terminal is $12/mo and I assume Digital Access Fee of $3. So $40/mo+tax=$45.20 for possibly everything they get now except Vision and W, and in HD. Am I right this would also give them on-demand offerings from the stations they subscribe to through Starter?

It appears (since Rogers site is so painful) they could add Vision through a $5/mo Theme Pack and W through a $10/mo Theme Pack (or $4 and $7 standalone) which takes us to $55/mo+tax=$62.15. I don't see any other prepackaged bundles though maybe that's with Ignite TV (and Ignite TV requires Ignite Internet, right?).

The $15/mo for terminal & DAF is mandatory, right? Meaning there isn't actually a $25/mo offer you can subscribe to? This is in the FAQ:
To subscribe to Starter, you need to have at least one digital box from Rogers. You can use digital adapters on any other outlets in your home.
I believe $40/mo+tax is less than they're paying now, but I'm not sure what they'd be giving up. I'd probably waste $50 on a Rogers install, I know it's just replace the coax from the wall and run an HDMI cable, but I expect that's beyond them.

Any other options for Rogers TV appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Check out Flex 5. it includes a free rental box, internet, basic channels plus 5 flex channels which should include W and Vision plus 3 more. The promotional price for 500Mbps is $120 ($140 after 2 years) and adds 6 months of Disney+. Choosing the 150Mbps internet option lowers the price to $100/$130and lowers the extra cost of TV to $5 initially and $25 after two years.

Note that Digital TV is no longer offered so Ignite TV, which requires internet is the only option.

·
Super Moderator
59,023 Posts
I have the following comments on this topic.

1. This starter package is apparently still available (for now), but it's now $28/mo (if approved last month per the forum link below).
2. You then need to rent any equipment on top of that.
3. You then need to subscribe to any channels not included, which can become expensive pretty quickly.

4. Here's a link to the Rogers website on the topic:

5. Here's a link to a recent Rogers forum discussion on the topic:

6. Rogers is migrating every new customer to IgniteTV, as well as any customers who wish to change their Legacy Digital Cable package. Legacy Digital Cable will be phased out. As discussed in the thread on the forum, it's unknown how Rogers will handle "starter clients" with IgniteTV since it's difficult for them to separate Internet and TV, with IgniteTV being IPTV. Rogers is not making it easy for people to get the starter package and will push hard to get people on IgniteTV. Persistence may pay off, but it may not be worth it.

7. I would assume there are very few starter customers around any more and most of them might head towards streaming services of some kind or another.

8.Rogers will not be spending any effort, resources or money on Legacy Digital Cable customers, so if/when things go wrong, you cannot expect much service if on Legacy Digital Cable. IgniteTV has now been around for more than 4 years.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, so the only options are ignite tv+ internet or starter? I agree flex 5 is a better deal, and Rogers home phone is $10 add-on I think. Not sure they'll want to make that change (ironic because internet is totally transparent to the user -- I use the same BELL### SSID at every place I go, and every ISP; I've had it on Bell, and since then on Fido, Comcast, Fizz). I keep the SSID because we have devices like cameras and I can just plug them in anywhere that has BELL### and they just start working.

Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
Rogers no longer includes the U.S OTA networks in the Starter package. That is an add-on for $3 more. Their base starter is just garbage. My antenna gives me a better lineup by far, although I know a lot of you don't have an OTA option where you live. As far as their website goes, its incredibly painful navigating it and its slow as molasses. I don't know who designed it but its terrible. I'm not a fan of Bell, but their website is much more user friendly by far.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Thank you, so the only options are ignite tv+ internet or starter?
My understanding is that neither the starter package nor Ignite TV is available without Ignite Internet. They might make starter TV available without internet if pressed. Bell had the same requirement at one time but they made TV available without internet eventually. In any event, hardware costs and other limitations make starter packages a bad deal. Maybe Shaw Direct or Bell Satellite would be a better deal since their hardware can be purchased used at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. We had an initial discussion today (well, Monday) and I'm working on them. Anyone still on a DTA50 is not going to be eager for change. "It's good enough and we're used to it" is a valid response.

Check out Flex 5.
Flex 5 is a better deal, but I'm not sure they want to get Ignite Internet. The Starter Package (as I understand it) is cheaper than they're paying Rogers now, Flex 5 is more.

1. This starter package is apparently still available (for now), but it's now $28/mo (if approved last month per the forum link below).
2. You then need to rent any equipment on top of that.
3. You then need to subscribe to any channels not included, which can become expensive pretty quickly.
4. Here's a link to the Rogers website on the topic:
https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/starter-package-and-standalone-channels-faqs
Thanks. I had read the FAQ, that's where I saw you can still use a DTA50 on 2nd and additional outlets, but need 1 digital box to start (my friends have only 1 TV). In terms of the cost, I don't see anything that says it's now $28, and yes it's actually $37 (or $40 if it's now $28) including the box, assuming no DAF. In terms of #3, they would be quite happy with the Starter Package + Vision ($4) and didn't seem at all excited about the prospect of adding SSC, TCM, etc., for another $1. :( This is what I see as of right now [the error only pops up when I search the channel list]:

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Does the Starter Package give access to OnDemand (for the channels you're getting)? I would hope so. I think they could live without W in that case as they mostly watch it as (my name) Hallmark Channel Canada, and I showed them how many of those movies are on CityTV OnDemand (if not, another $7 for W).

5. Here's a link to a recent Rogers forum discussion on the topic:
I think the Rogers agent was wrong, or the customer was asking the wrong question. I would have guessed that "RF TV" meant the old analog but I have no attachment to that guess. ;) If the customer was asking "can I keep my existing digital package?" I guess it's true they can't. Or the Rogers agent was just wrong. It happens. :(

Rogers is not making it easy for people to get the starter package and will push hard to get people on IgniteTV.
But is this a case of knowing your options? I admit I haven't tried to order the Starter Package, but I'm very good at saying "no thank you, I just want [X]". If [X] is something they offer (and especially if the CRTC mandates they offer it), it should be possible without too much pain? Famous last words...

7. I would assume there are very few starter customers around any more and most of them might head towards streaming services of some kind or another.
I'm quite sure you know the market better than I do, but I think there must be a lot of people who were analog customers who got a free DTA50 (didn't that happen because Rogers wasn't making fast enough progress toward meeting the 85%-digital threshhold the CRTC required to kill analog, or did they meet the 85% before killing it? My hazy memory was they finally gave up trying to get people to switch and just gave out DTA50 units. People like that, if they moved to the Starter Pack when the CRTC mandated it, I would have thought would still be on it if allowed (except if they wanted Rogers Internet, I guess Ignite would be cheaper). Live network TV is an entirely different experience than a streaming service (of course) and a lot of people like it (I record everything I want to watch, even news).

As I stated above, it's much cheaper to go with the Flex 5 bundle and 150 Mbps internet for a basic TV package.
Well, to be precise, I would replace the last 5 words with "for a basic TV and Internet package." I don't think Flex 5 beats Starter Package on cost even with (+Vision+W). Though I do believe individual products are wildly inflated in price so they can offer big discounts on the bundles.

The CRTC doesn't allow TV providers to add Digital Access Fees on top of the $25 fee.
Thank you, discovering the $12/mo HD terminal fee was mandatory made me think an additional DAF must be buried in there somewhere. Happy to learn it isn't.

Rogers no longer includes the U.S OTA networks in the Starter package. That is an add-on for $3 more.
Can you point me to a reference for that? It makes a difference. It's not what I'm seeing on the Rogers site though:

Product Font Rectangle Technology Screenshot

My understanding is that neither the starter package nor Ignite TV is available without Ignite Internet. They might make starter TV available without internet if pressed. Bell had the same requirement at one time but they made TV available without internet eventually.
I remember mandatory-internet from when a relative was forced to take Bell, but it wasn't $25 Starter Package. Rogers doesn't mention mandatory Internet for the Starter Package, though obviously they only offer Ignite TV with Internet. Of course I don't trust anything the website says without verification.

why don't you see what's available in their area for Over The Air cause its' free.
I'm pretty sure they don't have clear LOS to any OTA, though I haven't mapped down to their exact living room window. In any case, they definitely won't have both CF and HC (most likely HC, less interesting to someone who wants Canadian networks), and won't have the 5 US networks.

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. This is going to be a long haul.

·
Super Moderator
20,931 Posts
I don't see anything that says it's now $28
Canadians invited to share their views on application to raise basic TV package rate

"The CRTC is seeking comments from Canadians in response to an application filed by a group of television service providers to increase the price cap for the basic TV package from $25/month to $28/month, with subsequent yearly adjustments based on inflation."

Comment period extended to November 28, 2022
Does the Starter Package give access to OnDemand (for the channels you're getting)?
Yes, it's in the Rogers FAQ. Not all providers have every channel on-demand.

·
Super Moderator
59,023 Posts
Although OD may be available, the DTA-50 doesn't access it because it doesn't send a return signal. Therefore it cannot tune SDV (Switched Digital Video) channels either. That may be why Rogers mandates that you have a regular STB (Set top box). I'm not sure if an owned STB qualifies. These are available for next to nothing or for free these days with everyone migrating to IgniteTV. If you own your box, then there is no $12/mo charge for it.

This all gets pretty complex and you'll probably hear different restrictions from different Rogers CSRs. If the people need Internet, then IgniteTV will be the way to go. Doing all this work for Digital Cable when it's going away may be a waste of time and resources.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, it's in the Rogers FAQ. Not all providers have every channel on-demand.
I know Vision does not, and W doesn't have much useful (though I just looked and W has more than I remembered).

Although OD may be available, the DTA-50 doesn't access it because it doesn't send a return signal. [...] If you own your box, then there is no $12/mo charge for it.

This all gets pretty complex and you'll probably hear different restrictions from different Rogers CSRs. If the people need Internet, then IgniteTV will be the way to go. Doing all this work for Digital Cable when it's going away may be a waste of time and resources.
Understood, and they don't have OD now with the DTA50 (which I understand was simply a way for people with coax running to a CRT to continue their existing service at minimal cost to Rogers). My logic is that if Citytv has "Hallmark Canada" movies on demand, and Citytv-OD is included in the $25 Starter Pack as @Dr.Dave indicated, then they don't need W (I looked on a Bell system and was surprised to see 135 Christmas movies on W-OD, though no non-Christmas). With Vision not having OnDemand (not on Bell anyway), they would need to subscribe to Vision + Starter Pack and watch Vision live (yikes!) but could use Citytv OD as a replacement for their W content (I see on Bell that Citytv OD has fewer Christmas movies under "Very Merry Movies" but all those "Fall In Love Fridays" Hallmark movies). I'm shocked that anyone would consider paying $4 for Vision and not $5 for the Theme Pack including SSC and TCM, but this is a whole new world to them, hard though that is to imagine (and harder to imagine, for them ;).

I agree (with you and with @ExDilbert ) that 150Mbps and Flex 5 (where Vision, W, and TCM are 3 of the 5 :) is the better way to go. But if the exercise leaves them better off than before, it's a victory no much betterer it could have been. I'm trying to imagine ways to describe a cloud-based PVR to them, I'm thinking "VCR but no tapes".

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rogers no longer includes the U.S OTA networks in the Starter package. That is an add-on for $3 more.
I saw this in the T&C for an Ignite bundle, is this really saying that for $100/mo (150Mbps+Flex5) I have to pay more to get any US networks? This sounds too ridiculous to be true.

1. As of July 7, 2021, US distant TV channels (CW 43 (select regions), ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS) are not included in our Ignite TV packages. They are now available in the Prime Time Theme Pack.
[edit: I guess it's true, when I look at what the 42 channels are, none is a US network, and I do see the $3/mo theme pack. So $103/mo. Or $106/mo assuming there's a DAF at this level.]

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rogers website says this under holiday specials. Before wasting my time on hold with Rogers, does anyone know what the deal is?

LIMITED TIME ONLY
Get up to $200 in bill credits!

For a limited time, ask us how you can get a $100 bill credit with an Ignite Internet package or a $200 bill credit with an Ignite Internet and TV bundle!
Thanks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I think my friends are going for the Ignite bundle. :) Sometimes you just have to let it soak in.

Anyway, I'm confused about ordering. I used by own address for snooping around (in case something went wrong, easier to fix myself). Can you actually order online? It let me "add to cart" and checkout, and I got to the point of it asking for name and address to do a credit check. I thought they were going to insist on phoning them, is it possible they won't? Or is this just a "call us and quote this #" which saves them time and lets me study before being on the call. I can't find a way to change the preselected Flex 5, nor a way to add US networks. How do those things get done? If I can do the entire order including install appointment online, that would be fantastic but I suspect too good to be true with Rogers.

Also, since I was using myself I said "not a customer". I'm assuming having only an ancient package and a DTA50, getting a 2-product or 3-product Ignite TV bundle would count as being new (if the $30/mo + $200 discounts require that). Anyone think we'll get major pushback? By "major pushback" I mean digging in my heels will fail.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
59,023 Posts
It's probably possible to do most things on-line, however, you may not get any "deals" (like free Disney or Crave) that sometimes come up. It's also difficult to ask questions online. See the huge number of discussions on IgniteTV on the Forum:

You don't change the Flex channels until after the install. You can do that online via computer/browser and MyRogers or via the MyRogers App.

Strongly suggest you and they familiarize yourselves with how IgniteTV works because it's quite different from what they had.

They will need the IgnteTV WiFi app to set up WiFi/Internet/Gateway. This will not function until after the install.

See: Ignite TV and Streaming Support - Rogers

and: Ignite TV™ (Knowledge Base)

I read through all of the knowledge Base articles before switching from Legacy to Ignite so that I could avoid any surprises.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts