Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my old Toshiba modem to the SMC modem so I could get the Extreme Plus package. With the Toshiba I had the modem connected to a DLink N router upstairs which was wired to another DLink G router downstairs. This configuration gave me excellent coverage in the whole house.

I can't get the SMC to connect to another router so I have moved it to the middle floor in my house but I now have terrible coverage in my basement and upstairs. To add to the issue my 25Mbps service (which I DO get wired) is a mere 4Mbps when on Wifi.

I have set up the router with the standard Rogers software but I am sure there are settings I can work with to get a better connection. I DO have the user and pass to get in to the router but once I start playing with settings I seem to loose my WHOLE connection.

Anyone have any suggestions. I am not a happy Rogers customer at the moment.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up...

Called Rogers and spoke to a very nice CSR. She took off the commercial gateway from my account/router and I am back up and running with the SMC acting as the modem (wireless off) wired to a DLink upstairs which is wired to a DLink downstairs and everything is back to normal...

J

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
if ur gonna do that, why are you keeping the SMC modem? its costing you more per month, why not downgrade it to the motorola one and pay less?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Uninstall the horrible software Rogers gives, and set-up everything manually. You can find the IP address of the modem online, with the login and password. This way you can be sure each setting is correct. I don't trust ISP software to set up a device that is Wireless, Lan, and modem.

Some changes are just to minuet to let software do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts