Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this digital HD stuff.
I purchased a 46 inch HD LCD tv and hooked up a rogers digital hd pvr box.
The high def channels are amazing but the other non HD channels are grainy and not as clear.
I have my tv set to "auto" and it displays the settings of each channel. The channels that are grainy are coming in as 720 x 480 and high def channels are 1920 x 1080.
Is this normal for the SD channels to look like this?
I thought digital cable is suppose to be a lot clearer than analogue.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes, it is normal. HD channels are amazing but when you go back to non-HD, it is horrible - especially the larger the screen and closer you are to it. However, I have had some people say they don't see a difference so I wonder if some people's eyes don't notice it as much as others. If you think something is wrong, you'd have to check out someone else's house to see if it is the same. But most likely what you are seeing is normal.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
some TV sets do the upscaling so you will see some differences from analog channel on one set to another. Most people keep the STB in Fixed mode on 1080i and let the box do the upcomverting, and watch analog channels in OAR.

·
Registered
738 Posts
some TV sets do the upscaling so you will see some differences from analog channel on one set to another. Most people keep the STB in Fixed mode on 1080i and let the box do the upcomverting, and watch analog channels in OAR.
The Rogers system provides all standard definition channels in digital format so viewers don't see any analog channels when using a set top box.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
To clarify, a lot of people confuse analogue and SD. Rogers has had all channels digital for those who have digital STBs for quite a while already, even though some of the signals may come to Rogers as analogue signals.

Of course Rogers still sends out the analogue signals for channels roughly 1-70 for those with analogue TVs and no STBs, even though some of those channels are sent to Rogers as digital signals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts