Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been running a web server on port 80 for the past year or so, and one day I noticed it wasn't accessible from the outside (i.e. I could only access it from within my LAN). So I switched apache to use a non standard port, forwarded it on my router and what do you know... it worked fine. I tried using http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and even with port 80 forwarded to a computer on my network, it still says its blocked.

I decided to call Rogers, and the technician on the phone said it was impossible for Rogers to block or filter ports (basically said it was my fault). Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this guy was completely wrong, as I've read many stories of ISP's blocking ports and users having to use non standard ports.

Please tell me this guy did not know what he was talking about?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
You can check it with a port scan from www.grc.com. After running the "Shields Up" port scan, there'll be some info at the bottom of the page with the title "Detecting Ports Blocked by Your ISP". You may want to read that. Also, you can run Wireshark to see what's reaching your computer.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Further on this. I opened up port 80 on my firewall and forwarded it to my main computer. The port scan shows it open and I can access that computer with my smart phone via 3G, so it's not blocked for me. I'm also on Rogers.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
the technician on the phone said it was impossible for Rogers to block or filter ports ........ but I'm pretty sure this guy was completely wrong
They can block ports... they do block port 25 to prevent spamming... but that goes to show you they can block ports if they want to.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Lets just be clear, just because Rogers can block doesn't mean they are blocking.

However, ISP's routinely block port 80 to prevent users from running webservers from their homes which is a violation of your terms of service with Rogers. And as noted they often block port 25 to prevent infected computers from spewing out spam email.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
^^^^
I recall reading years ago, that while they have those rules, they don't generally enforce them, unless the customer is doing something that will impair the service to others, such as running a popular web site. They wouldn't go after someone who has a server open for personal use. For example, I have a test web site, that's normally only available via IPv6, which I use for testing. It certainly wouldn't generate a lot of traffic. I don't know which catagory the OP falls into. However, regardless of the rules, Rogers cable modem (and also ADSL) is not the best way to deliver a web site, because it is asymetrical. Web sites are better off with a dedicated symetrical bandwidth connection to the internet. Also, there's some debate about what constitutes a "server". Is it merely access to a computer or something that's intended to support many users. I have long had SSH and VPN access to my home network, but they're strictly for personal use and closed to everyone else.

Great, thanks guys - that's what I thought
What did the port scan show?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The results showed port 80 blocked yesterday, but when I ran it again today to post it here, it shows its open! Interesting too, I did not change any router configuration....

·
Registered
718 Posts
Why don't you sign up with Easy DNS. I got around the same issue with Port 80 blocked using this service. They just redirect your Domain to whatever port other than 80 you use for your Web Server. It's seamless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts