Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 579 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for users of the Rogers SA 4250HD cable box ONLY to discuss its use and any issues.

If you do NOT own this box but would like to learn more about it, then please post in the Rogers 4250 HD Terminal available Jan 5th thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4250 hd issues

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has been having issues with the 4250 HD box. I've had this box for about 4 days now and its still not working. The message I get on my tv is "Not Authorized for Use" and the box has four dashes on the display. Rogers is currently trying to resolve the issue, it just seems that its taking far too long to resolve. I had requested a tech to come to my place and fix the problem. When he showed up today he said "I dont know why its not working and I cannot fix it." His way of "fixing" it was to replace it with an older hd box that didnt have hdmi output. I did replace it already once but I still have the same issues. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem, if so, how was it resolved if it was?

Thanks,

Edi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny that - I just had this issue tonight at my Grandma's house. She bought a new LCD TV and took the Rogers HD package with it. When we plugged it in using component cable it did not work. The box shows three dashes on the display and the TV said "No signal". I went out and bought an HDMI cable for it - yes it is the new 4250HD box - and connected everything back up. I now got the HD Box BIOS screen and rebooting did not help. I called Rogers' Helpdesk and the Tech simply reinitialized my signal and everything now works. My Grandma leaves in Ottawa.

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
Perhaps Rogers doesn't have the activation process down properly yet for these new STBs. It's possible the procedure is slightly different, or the numbers on the device are slightly different - perhaps requiring someone to enter a zero ahead of them or something silly like that.

I'm sure once they've activated a few more STBs, activation will be routine again. In the meantime, if the first CSR you talk to for activation cannot activate the STB (ask them to stay on the line, it only takes seconds to activate), then ask for a second level technician. If they can't get it to work, ask them to create a ticket for the problem and get the ticket number from them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is phone number on one fo the booklets where you just call and it will activate it, not need to talk to any representative.

I have just picked up my box a few days ago and its working great, but I have heard from a couple people that Rogers has a promotion that you get a digtal HD cable box for 6 months for bringing in my hdtv receipt to rogers. Do they still have this? Should I be calling rogers about this?

·
Registered
173 Posts
mine did this when i initially hooked it up. a quick call to rogers and 1 signal sent to the box to authorize it and it was fixed within a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I got this STB from the Rogers store the store salesman called Rogers and gave them the serial ID. I heard Rogers say that the STB was not functional. He then brought another STB and checked the serial ID with Rogers, found to work and he told me that the STB has been authorized, so I need not call Rogers from home after connecting it. I still had to call them to activate it. It works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had to call for both of my boxes

I had to call for activation for both of my boxes.

I have a question about the remote though...Programmed the tv to the remote, now when I press vol up it only does the volume on the tv not on the box...even if I press the CBL button first.

I tried unlocking the volume control on the remote & still no change.

I tried to remove the code from the remote (as per the instruction book), but no luck.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is there anyway to reset the remote...I haven't had a chance to look into this yet...I will look at that on the weekend.

Thank
tim

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
The operating manual has several sections to doing the following. Read the manual.

- programme the volume so that it only controls one device - global/master volume (not what you want). This will adjust the volume on only one device (the one you programme for master volume) no matter what button you press at the top of the remote.

What you want is for the volume to control different devices. This is also outlined in the operating manual.

Remember that you first need to find the code for the device you wish to control and programme it into the remote and make sure that you can turn that device on/off for example.

You can also programme the power button to turn on/off a number of devices of your choosing.

The reset the remote to "default" should be outlined near the back of the operating manual.

This really has nothing to do with the 4250, so if you have additional question on the remote, do so in the following thread, after having a read through the manual and the thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61107

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help...

Hi, new to the forum, but have been visiting quite frequently over the past few years as there is a lot of informative people/info on here.

I have 2 issues with my Roger's HD box. I have a Sony Bravia XBR2 LCD television that is 6 months old and i'm using Roger's Scientific Atlantic 4250HD terminal.

ISSUE#1:
My issue is that when I change from a high DEF channel to a standard channel, I get a grey screen that appears which quickly flickers for a brief moment and then finally changes to the standard channel. This process is brief (1-2 secs), but i've never noticed it before. This occurs when changing from STD channel to high def and vice versa, but not when changing from STD to STD channel or HD to HS channel.

ISSUE#2:
Also, I've noticed that no matter what channel i am on, when i press the GUIDE button on the remote a blank grey screen appears for a split second and the channel then goes to the guide menu. Never noticed this before, usually the guide channel appears instantaneously.

Any idea if this is normal and why it is happening?

Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
1. Perfectly normal when changing formats on TVs. See:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=644030#post644030

2. Are you using HDMI? If so, switch to component video:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

Sometimes this will also happen with component video if the PVR is "busy", for example, downloading the IPG, etc. This should probably not happen all the time, unless it's a "feature" of the new STB.

See the following post, useful for newbies:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
biggyk, check the manual for setting up your set top box and changing the settings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
okay i will when I get home. Just for the record if my native resolution is 720p then most of my viewing should be in that right?

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
biggyk Not at all. The stations broadcast in 2 HD formats:

see: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129 The best option for the best picture quality is to enable the necessary formats (480i STANDARD, 720P, 1080i) in the advanced setup wizard and to set the "set picture format" to passthrough or auto-DVI/HDMI.

See the following for discussion of incoming formats vs native resolution:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73528

As indicated, read the relevant links I referenced in the last link of post 13. There is a lot to learn.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks 57, I setup my box to your method and I am very pleased. Just one more quick question. Where is the option to show last channel viewed when power is turned on instead of the box always starting at 01?

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
Press Settings twice - Viewer: Power on.

I suggest that anyone with a new STB runs through all of the various settings and quick settings to understand the many options that are available to them.

- Timers, CC, favorites, formats, audio, etc etc.

When you're on a setting, you can press the "info" button and a brief description of the setting comes up.

1 - 20 of 579 Posts