1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
763 Posts
why would we be complaining? they are just officially increasing the hsdpa speed from 3.6mbps to 7.2.. for the casual browsing we do on our phones, does that extra speed really matter? anyway, been using a usb modem since the spring, and anywhere in the golden horseshoe i've always been connected at 7.2. using a computer you can feel a difference from 3.6 to 7.2.

Also, isnt the BB storm cdma only right now? and the gsm Curve is gsm/edge only anyway..

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Ditto profets.

As an iPhone owner, if I were allowed to download and watch large files straight from my phone (from the iTunes store as an example), I would probably be wanting more speed. However, speeds are very acceptable.

The one comment I have, however, is I wish they would resolve remaining issues with Apple regarding dropped calls or missed calls while 3G is enabled. We're half a year into the launch, and it is unacceptable that those issues have yet to be resolved.

I think they should look at covering all their bases before streching themselves too thin. Hope this rollout goes smoothly...

·
Registered
763 Posts
yup, regardless of phones/devices right now it is nice to see theyre expanding the 7.2mbps coverage.
it'll be very interesting once bell/telus get their umts/hspa network up and running too, and the speeds/coverage they achieve compared to rogers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me on the comparable Telus and Bell speed networks (even though its CDMA)? I will be taking this fact into account next time I get a phone ... I'm willing to look at all the networks and their phones available and high speed internet access is nice to have.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I posted this news yesterday, keep in mind Telus/Bell wont have their network upgrade completed anytime soon and while most of the 3G phones Rogers offers can't do 7.2mbps speed the new HTC Touch Diamond can and i would assume any new phones on the way. The LG VU Tu915 which weve had for quite a while is capable for 7.2mbps as well so it's not a completely "new" thing that phones have this capability.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Telus is also upgrading their networking. They will be overlaying WCDMA on the existing EVDO network which will give them 7.2Mbps downlink.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes but thats not expected to be done until 2010 sometime, for sure by the Olympics is what Seimens said and by then Rogers will probably be rolling out something even better

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Network infrastructure takes time to build out. I think it's great Rogers has this up and running. I believe they announced the start of this project build several months ago beginning in the Atlantic region. As another poster pointed out, already some phones in customer hands do support 3.5G.

Personally, I recently got on board with a Blackberry Bold and one of the cooler things about it is the WiFi built in. That will suffice until I get the next phone by which time HSPA should be plentiful.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Telus is going past hspa network and will have a 4G LTE network up for 2010. When is Rogers going to have a 4G network running? Bring on the 4G phones! :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Telus is going past hspa network and will have a 4G LTE network up for 2010. When is Rogers going to have a 4G network running? Bring on the 4G phones!
one would have thought that bell and telus would be preparing for a 4G LTE network (considering its designed to be backward compatible for current cdma carriers), but not too long ago they jointly announced that they were building a 3G GSM network first for 2010..

either way, great to think that maybe in 5 years we'll have all the major carriers on LTE

·
Registered
232 Posts
So when they are done upgrading the lucky few to 3.5G will they start upgrading the rest of us to 3G?

As it is the connection on my iPhone 3G is so slow I don't even bother using it any more unless I'm connected to a WiFi spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So when they are done upgrading the lucky few to 3.5G will they start upgrading the rest of us to 3G?

As it is the connection on my iPhone 3G is so slow I don't even bother using it any more unless I'm connected to a WiFi spot.
Exactly... maybe they should get 3G working properly first.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Telus/Bell are NOT developing a GSM network...everyone seems to have misunderstood the press release but the entire time they have been talking about going to 4G W-CDMA which will be 7.2mbps by the Olympics in 2010. Rogers, a year and a bit earlier already has unrolled those speeds and is working on bringing new handsets and other mobile internet devices online. The 7.2mbps USB Modem is great...i can use my PC at broadband speeds and even use Xbox Live via Internet Connection Sharing and NO LAG!:D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bell/Telus ARE deploying a nationwide HSPA network. Bell has stated that by Summer of next year they will have it up and running in select areas (most likely Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver). They also stated they will be launching an LTE network in 2010 (probably just in BC for the games at first).

I think you have misunderstood the press release.

"Bell wireless customers will be able to choose between EVDO - already the
dominant 3G standard in Canada and across North America - and HSPA, which is
rapidly becoming the main platform with carriers outside North America. At the
same time, overlaying HSPA on its national network will offer Bell the most
efficient upgrade path to the 4G LTE broadband standard in coming years."

http://www.bce.ca/en/news/releases/bm/2008/10/10/74991.html

The timeframe I quoted may have been from an internal source that I no longer have access to, and seem a little optimistic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts