Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Rogers site.

The Search area of the Quick Start Menu now allows you to search for your favourite shows using a full onscreen keyboard. You can now search by:

• Program title
  • Keyword
  • Actor/Actress
  • Director
  • Genre
  • Channel Name/Number

The Search functionality will search among all TV content in the Guide, up to 7 days. On Demand and PVR Searches are coming soon.

There are two ways to access the search:

Press the * on your remote or,
On the Quick Start Menu, scroll down to Search
Now, let’s say you want to watch Entourage. Usually, you’d press the E button and have scroll through dozens of shows until you landed on the one you want. Now, all you have to do is use the arrows on the remote to start entering the first few letters of your search. As you type, intuitive search results will start to appear on the right hand side so you can just toggle over and highlight the right search result. From here, you can tune into the show if it’s currently playing, set to record, set a reminder or see other available showings. Another neat feature is that you can look at the cast and crew of a specific episode and then further drill down into other programs the cast might be in.

When will I get the new Search functionality?

Customers with the a Quick Start Menu enabled cable box should already have the enhanced Search functionality. The Search functionality excludes SA 2000/2010 and PACE 551/501 set top boxes, and is currently not available on Cisco 8642HDPVR and Cisco 4642HD yet, but we’re working on it. We’ll let you know when we have more news to share about availability on these boxes.

If you have a compatible cable box but cannot access Search, try rebooting.

How do I find the Quick Start menu?

Most customers will find it when they first hit the GUIDE button. If you re-sequenced your remote, simply hit GUIDE twice to find it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
So there's no way they could have fixed this in the regular EPG? Something tells me an on-screen keyboard will be more difficult to navigate than a letter scroller. Plus you can now search by more than just title (hopefully title is the default and you don't have to hit any more buttons).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
In my case, the new Search feature became available yesterday after an auto-reboot. I like it especially with the quick access via the * button (but will have to reconfigure my Harmony remote). I don't know yet if it will replace or complement my old online Zap2it method.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have two observations. There was one hell of a furor created when the Quick Start was first introduced. People, quite simply, did not like it. Rogers finally responded by allowing customers to change the order of which came up first - the IPG or Quick Start. It seems to me that by making the new search function part of the Quick Start, Rogers is finally getting what they wanted in the first place - forcing people to use Quick Start.

Also, by not making the new search function part of the Guide, they are depriving people who are now using the 8642 PVR the opportunity to use this new feature. Why could the new search function not have been part of the IPG where it belongs?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because they can't sell advertising on the regular guide.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think the regular IPG is part of the Cisco firmware in the box. Rogers has little control over it.

The QSM is a separate application which Rogers can customise themselves. Hence it was much easier to add enhanced search to the QSM as opposed to the IPG.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Don't tease. Tell us more. Is it a firmware upgrade with change to the main IPG or a new app like the QSM? Will we finally see the high-res version of the IPG that we saw in screen caps a couple years ago?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Glad there is a better search.

But for my PVR recording, I will find a show through the quick guide, then go to the PVR guide to find it manually at the time shown in the search?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Checked out the search and you can schedule a PVR recording directly from the search screen. Much better than the old interface.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My youngest daughter pointed this out to me a few days back.
I posted in another thread (what features would you like to see?).
It's quite an improvement !!

- Bill H.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
glad to see theyir finally listening. I also like the fact that you can enable the search by pressing the Flower (*) key on the remote. finally they are making unused remote keys usefull

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have just switched from Shaw out West to Rogers here in Ontario. I have been looking for a search function and have only found my PVR (8642) allows for a single first letter to search by title. I looked through this thread and it appears the new search function doesn't apply to my PVR. So the question is, which PVR does it work with? I was told my HDPVR was the newest so I am confused on why it doesn't work.

Any information?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sadly I don't think 8642's have this function (YET) because my 3250HD's and 3200 have the functionality of this search option where as my 8642 still doesn't have the function added into its software, anyone have an estimated arrival time on this?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Rogers reps keep saying the 8462 will have updates rolled out by the end of the calender year, but if that holds true is anyone's guess..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts