Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of these or heard any opinions about it? I am curious to get it as I am going to Satellite TV and already have a Rogers cell so paying just for internet on sasktel or access in SK is really expensive. But don't want to jump into a 2 year contract and spend $150 upfront for a wireless signal that sucks. Also will it connect with the Wii and DS??

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's better then dialup but can get very very expensive especially if you
are using your game system. I know they advertise a certain speed but I have never acheived it. Oh did I mention expensive.......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you say expensive, but depending on how many GB's one uses it may be cheaper. Rogers HUB plans are $35/month for 1-3GB, $45 for 3-5GB, and $60 for 5-10GB.

Where I live the typical 'high speed' package with 1.5 mbps is unlimited for $45/month so in theory if I could stay between the 3-5 GB it could be cheaper. But does anyone know what the average person would use a month?? I don't download too much or play Wii online very often

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi Clayton: I have had the Rocket Hub for almost three months now; my first bill was around $42.00 (less than 3GB used that month) and my second bill was around $53.00 (used between 3-5 GB last month). If you use more than 10 GB/month, $5 per additional GB will be charged (as per their site).

I love it! We were using the Rocket stick prior, which was an improvement over dial-up, but fairly expensive. The Rocket Hub has been great as we also have our Wii, cell phone, TV, DVD player, laptop using the wireless availability.

I consistently average between 4-5 Mbps (downloads) and between .75-1.25 Mbps (uploads). Very satisfied, especially given that I live in a rural area.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How do you use so little data?

If I update my Mac it's a gig of data just to do the software update! I have 3 computers so that's 3 gig.

I could eat through 5 gig of data a day! They really need to increase the limits on these accounts -- I am not a heavy user but still use more than these silly caps, anything under 60gig is ridiculous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FYI

The Rogers Rocket Hub tops out at $50 overage.

So my costs are flat using 40-50GB each month. I have had 3 months of verification that my bill is at a static $138 a month ($10 a month of Public IP cost included). So once you hit 20GB anything over is free. I run a business and many PC household so I found that out quickly.

It seems like the Bell Turbo Hub does not have that as someone in another thread complained that he got a $1,100 bill for the month when tehy had a lot of downloads.

So although there is a cap on charging overage at Rogers right now, who knows how long that may last.

Henry

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is nice and all that they top it out at $50 overage (used to be $25)... but geez so basically it's $125 a month for internet? Am I the only one that thinks that is a little silly?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to rural solutions.

The internet offered to rural customers has no relationship to any other internet in cities. Up to 5 months ago, I was paying over $250.00 a month for internet. Its for a business running off the internet, overage at $10.00 a gigabyte.

All the solutions offered are ludicrous with most people saying the Rocket Hub is a god send. High speed finally! Well internet in our household is 30-40G a month with no downloads of movies or music. Work and you-tube video's take up a lot of bandwidth.

Software and games you buy are downloadable and are easily 5-12GB. I monitor our download extremely closely and watched it go form 3GB a month years ago to 40GB now. The internet has adjusted to large pages showing video adverts and the like. Many people will discover their usage will drastically exceed what Rogers and Bell plans allow.

I now use Rogers as a back-up since the service is so bad (drops and modem level service after hours) and I have a $60 per month unlimited plan which is great. Thanks to Rogers for whom I built a 85 ft tower to try and get better service. My old provider made a deal with me and now uses my tower to supply the subdivision and I get a break.

As long as Rogers Hub internet is second class citizen on the cell towers, the service can be flaky. I figure it will take 2 years before we get to the point that it is provided enough bandwidth equal to the cell phone traffic and will be good. (PS Rogers told me all my problems were because their cell towers were overloaded when people got on their cell phones and they could not tell me when they would be able to upgrade)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why would you pay twice for software and games...once to buy it and again for the monthly GB usage overrun?
Just go down to the store and pick it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rogers doesn't tell you but there is a 50GB maximum usage on the Rocket Hub. If you go over that you get a letter telling you they'll cut you off if you continue your "unacceptable usage". Also, it's now $10/GB for over usage. They better let me out of my contract because they totally didn't tell me this when I signed up...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts