Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I've tried to search and I've tried to call but no one seems to know. I live in the new community in Ottawa Trailwest (Formally Sohowest) Rogers oh so kindly installed Fiber to the home (Set up as RFoG to continue using their Docsis 3 line of products).

I want out.. well what I want is to switch to TekSavvy, Its just not fiscally responsible to spend as much as I do on their internet service. I have a home media center and we got rid of our paid cable package since we never watched shows when they broadcast. That said, I've contacted Rogers and Tek over the hardware used to convert the signal from the fiber to coax, and no one seems to know what the deal is. IF its mine (or part of the structure of the house) then switching to Tek would only involve me purchasing a modem. However IF it belongs to Rogers i am SOL and stuck with their overprice under delivering service.

Anyone have any ideas ? Has Anyone with the "FTTH" styled service switched to a 3rd Party ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The device you're referring to is the ONU. I doubt that has anything to do with whether you can get TPIA internet service though.

You should just call Teksavvy or another TPIA, provide them with your exact address and have them verify serviceability for you.

If you can't switch, I'd call in and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a retention offer to reduce your costs. Retention offers no longer require a contract, and frontline representatives can't tell if your home is fed by fibre or coax so they won't know that you can't switch to Teksavvy.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
You are in one of the few places in the Rogers universe capable of getting bidirectional 250Mbps and you aren't interested? What's wrong with you as it is only $225/month!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It can but someone needs to come out and install an ONT and on the backend the customer needs to be moved onto a different provisioning system. Because the 250 tier is still a trial, it's limited only to a small area in Toronto and Moncton at the moment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts