Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a notice in the mail the other day. I assume this is for Ontario; I am in Markham. Most residential prices for Rogers Internet will increase by a flat $2.00 on March 1st to:

Express $48.99
Express +20GB 53.99
Express +80GB 68.99
Extreme 61.99
Extreme +20GB 66.99
Extreme +80GB 81.99
Extreme Plus 71.99
Extreme Plus +20GB 76.99
Extreme Plus +80GB 91.99
Ultimate 99.99 (no change)

Hardware:
Home Gateway: $5.50
Enhanced Home Gateway: $7.00

Justification: addition of SpeedBoost to all packages.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You didn't think they would use their own money to purchase the Leafs did you? I bet you both Bell and Rogers will have increases this year to cover the costs of that billion dollar investment.

·
Registered
299 Posts
wow...over the 100 dollar mark per month for basic cable and internet and that's for the slowest speeds with smallest caps :eek:

I guess soon people will have to choose to have one or the other but not both.

forking over 1200 a year just on these 2 services is nearly ranking up there with Hydro and Gas.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Rogers says:

SpeedBoost technology is available with the Rogers network and is included with your Hi-Speed Internet service at no additional charge.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
billpaidJr said:
forking over 1200 a year just on these 2 services is nearly ranking up there with Hydro and Gas.
What's your Timmies/Second Cup/Starbucks/etc tab for the year? At 2 Timmies a day, mine is nearly 4 times that amount. What's the better value?

·
Registered
299 Posts
What's your Timmies/Second Cup/Starbucks/etc tab for the year? At 2 Timmies a day, mine is nearly 4 times that amount. What's the better value?
what does Timmie's have to do with this...?

How has the value of a basic internet or cable package gone up to justify these increases?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got the letter yesterday as well. I really need to start looking into alternatives. I wish I could get a 3.33% increase to my pay just because I feel like it. I'm on the Extreme plan and $2 on $59.99 is 3.33%. Has the cost of doing business increased that much? Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture or something...

I haven't been with Rogers for very long. Does anyone know when the last rate hike was?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
My TSI bill for POTS plus Extreme is just over $70. Will hit $74 with the increases. Not good but it could be worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rogers fee increases

$46.99 for express with 60 GB cap/15 mbps. Add $2 for a jump from 15 to 18 mbps (tho, I'm getting jumps to 20) _IF_ I get the new modem, and cap increase to 70 gb... But, here's the kicker... My DOCIS 2.0 modem (WebStar modem) is apparently cannot handle the speeds according to tech support... (this modem is capable of handling a 55 mpbs rate... DOCSIS3 is pretty much for the higher speeds over 50 mbps).
The new replacement gateway wireless-n modem is $3/month more. I don't have wireless devices.
4% increase on the bill for service.. and a 9.8% increase overall.
Generally, i'm hitting about 55-65% of my cap (on a BUSY month)

Rogers is unable to justify this in my eyes, as the technology they're upgrading to is apparently backwards compatible.
As for the speed guarantees: They guarantee UP to 20 mbps on the accounts now... ie: it won't get any faster... for the lower end... no guarantees.

As an ex-tech from Bell, I know that the DSL/ADSL that Techsavvy provides is run off the Bell network, and suspect that the cable side of their business is run off of Rogers. Any increases in Bell or Rogers rates would be passed along to the end user.

I STILL can't explain, tho, why Tecsavvy charges $0.50/GB for overage while Rogers charges $2... yet, previous month, you've used 1/4 of your cap...

As for the Rogers increase... It's just gouging.

As per annum: $24 + $36 =$60... So, more than a month's bill added per year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Correct - Teksavvy use the network of whatever cable provider is in the area of service - I believe they're currently in Rogers, Shaw and Vidéotron territory. Those extra $2 charges are for their direct customers, however. What they charge independent ISPs for using their network is not affected by this, though the recent CRTC decision on usage-based billing does - which is why the prices charged by independents went up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rogers increasing monthly overcharge

I received my bill from Rogers yesterday and on the back page there was a notice that the cap on the additional internet usage was increasing from $50 to $100 effective in August.

Guess it is time to look at alternatives...

1 - 20 of 164 Posts