Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a corporate blog posting, Rogers has announced that later this month it will raise bandwidth caps and download speeds on selected internet plans for selected Rogers customers. Upload speeds will remain unchanged.

Rogers Extreme and Extreme Plus users who own Docsis 3.0 modems will receive a larger bandwidth cap and faster downloads. Rogers Express users with a Docsis 3.0 modem will see faster download speeds while Ultimate users will get more a bigger bandwidth cap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased my Docsis 2 modem from Rogers a few years ago, so I am out of luck for any increase in speed/bandwidth unless I go and buy a new modem?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is correct.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are an Ultimate customer (which I think have to have Docsis 3.0 modems) it is a technical limit.

For all the rest, I don't think it's a technical limit. I was under the impression the DOCSIS 3.0 modem is required when download speeds exceed 42 Mbps but I will let someone more technical than I to confirm where the limit is.

·
Super Moderator
56,462 Posts
I believe there were discussions regarding Docsis 2.0 modems topping out around 30 Mbps. I regularly have download "test" speeds above 20 Mbps on Express due to SpeedBoost, so the 12 is easily achievable with a 2.0, unless you download for a long time and perhaps then you might get limited to 10 on Express instead of 12, but that's no big deal is it? The Cap on Express remains the same anyway.

Here's the Rogers speedtest page. If you look at the numbers as the test starts it's often well into the 20s and often into the 30s, slowing down to around 20 by the end of the test.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=support_internetServices_speedCheck&cm_mmc=grdrt-_-all-_-en-_-speedcheck

If you don't trust the Rogers website, there are plenty of others - I usually get very similar results on all these sites with minor variations depending on location, time of day, etc:

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://speedtest.shaw.ca/

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Is there a business reason for Rogers to push their customers to D3 modems? For example, is it a more efficient user of bandwidth?

As an Ultimate user I feel that I am getting the short of the stick - it would have been nice to get a bid more speed than 50Mbps, or more u/l speed.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a business reason for Rogers to push their customers to D3 modems
$7 a month for rental.

Appreciate that for some its necessary but for the rest, its a cash grab.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Can you not also buy the D3 modems from Rogers? I have also seen posts (either here or elsewhere) that you can get Rogers to activate a non-Rogers modem D3 but that it may take a while to get through to the right person. Canada Computers sells Thomson D3 modems for $100 and Motos for $120.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rogers also announced it will introduce a new wrinkle to its usage based billing (UBB) plans for Express and Extreme users. For $5 per month users can get an additional 20GB of data for $5 per month or an extra 80 GB of data for $20 per month.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is not a UBB thread. It's about the new plans so please lets stick to that discussion.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Is there a business reason for Rogers to push their customers to D3 modems? For example, is it a more efficient user of bandwidth?

As an Ultimate user I feel that I am getting the short of the stick - it would have been nice to get a bid more speed than 50Mbps, or more u/l speed.
Yes, DOCSIS 3.0 is more efficient which is why Rogers would be pushing people to the new modems.

And I'm not complaining, Ultimate users got the biggest increase in the cap (% wise), which to me is far more important than more speed.
6MB/sec is fast enough for my needs!

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Far too little .. far too late... 3P providers for the win.
What's a 3P provider? Do you mean an independent like Teksavvy?

I really wanted to go with Teksavvy when I upgraded my service a little while ago but the fastest service that they offered was 15/1 and that was not competitive with Rogers on a speed basis. They are now coming out with a 25/7 DSL service which does seem more promising.

·
Banned
16 Posts
^ Seems like 3P is short form for third-party or rather independent could work. However, none of these names really work because most companies like Teksavvy use Bell or Roger's network to give out their internet via DSL or Cable respectively. I guess you can say "authorized reseller".

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have the Express service. 2 questions:
1. I still have the older modem (not home now, so cannot check). I am renting it for $4.00 a month. This new modem will cost me more? Some one or 57 said $7.00 a month, but it is for the ultimate service, not the Express service.

2. Increased speed with the new modem is hardly worth paying extra for (12 Mbps vs 10). Will Rogers one day call and say I must exchange the new modem (after they make my old modem obsolete)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. its $7 for any plan to get a Docsis 3.0 modem rental

2. No.as all newer Docsis 3.0 modems are backward compatiable. only way your Docsis 2.0 modem will be obsolete is if they do not carry a plan with DL speeds lower then 30Mbps which won't happen as long as their is a market for users who don't want really high speeds.

I agree for 2Mbs increased speed its not worth upgrading your modem to get the benifit. If you do however decide to get a Docsis 3.0 modem then simply buy it out right it cheap in the long run, most modems are payed off after 2 years after that its gravy for the ISP.

I think the Express got the worst of the deal then again it is the most popular plan they have.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Too little, too late. I already dropped Rogers for Teksavvy Cable and get speeds faster then Rogers newly announced ones, no caps and it's cheaper.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts