Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What do you think of Rogers Quick Start Guide?

• Excellent

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Somewhat Positive

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Somewhat Negative

Votes: 44 14.5%
  • Terrible

Votes: 236 77.9%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 3 cable boxes have the new guide today.

Note: I have closed our old Quick Start Discussion thread since it was a bit off-topic and the discussion was more about what the future guide would be like.

Now that its here, I have created this new thread.
P.S. If you don't have the guide, please don't post, why don't I have the guide. Toronto will likely not get it for a few days.

Edit by 57 - see the following great news from Hugh:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1057866#post1057866

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pain in the arse

Title says it. It's utterly useless, and causes an extra click to get to the guide itself (which is nothing to brag about in the first place).

Hi-tech. Way to go, Rogers!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yeah Toronto's higher concentration of people makes it hard to handle in case of bugs... Always wise to roll out anything slowly.. But it will come soon enough. It just took about 6 months for Toronto to get the extra French HD channels after everyone outside the GTA got them... Seriously though, I'm sure they'll flip the switch on us by the weekend, unless something unexpected happens.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well, this is damn annoying. My Harmony remote no longer works.

If you press GUIDE twice, it just takes you back to the show. If you press GUIDE twice on the original remote, you get the guide. Plus this quick start feature is stupid to begin with.

I'll attempt reprogramming my Harmony to see if that helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Three Harmonys and three different types of Rogers STB's. All work correctly when I press the guide button.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
My other Harmony worked fine.

It turns out this Harmony's GUIDE button was programmed as MENU. If you press the MENU button, it takes you to the Quick Start. If you press it again, then it just goes back to the show. So, I changed the GUIDE button to GUIDE as it's supposed to be and now it works fine.

Too bad pressing the MENU button doesn't take you directly to the real guide. As far as I'm concerned, the Quick Start guide is just an annoying waste of time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have it in RichmondHill and it Looks slick!

I think the quick guide is clean and simple , well done Rogers! I like the grouping features and I think the graphical interface looks nice.
It's not the tru2way that I have seen, but not a bad start!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont get the new menu for some reason. I have 3 different types of receivers but everyone else seems to have it working. Is there a specific receiver that you need to have it? I dont care either way for it but I would like to try it out.
The only boxes that it wont be working for at the moment are Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 and 2010, PACE 501 and PACE 551.

Most likely it hasn't launched in your area yet that's all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the new guide in Stouffville and it is annoying. I do not want another step to get to the IPG.

I called and complained yesterday that there is no option to turn this off and the first person stated as this is an upgrade they do not want an option to turn it off. My response is it seems more of a downgrade to me.

Anyways I have now programmed my harmony remote guide to press guide twice. The only change I need to make is to leave the guide I have to press exit now if I am not going to a channel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I was in charge I would have gone with

click guide once -> IPG

click guide twice -> new quick start menu

or even better choice would be to tie it to a separate channel all together something along the lines of the how we have On Demand

but ofcourse that wouldnt work for Rogers because they want to force blast us with ad's on this new menu

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry if these questions have been asked before....

-will I keep the recordings that are on my 8300HD when it gets updated?

-if I am recording something when the update comes, will the box immediately reboot (as I'm assuming it will need too) and I lose that recording or will it wait until the recording ends?

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
BJC, the firmware update should be seamless. the reason they stagger the role out is to deal with problems more effectively. Frankly, it's best to be later in the roll-out after any implementation issues are resolved.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Anyways I have now programmed my harmony remote guide to press guide twice. The only change I need to make is to leave the guide I have to press exit now if I am not going to a channel.
What is the minimum delay you need between the two button presses, and what hardware do you have?

The more I use this the more I am annoyed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
And to add to that Harmony question, is there any image flicker present when pressing Guide twice? In other words, if you press it send Guide twice, is there any sign of this Quick Start abomination showing up on screen *before* the proper guide loads?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there any way to get rid of this "Quick Start" Garbage!!!! I'm already paying Rogers, I don't need to be bombarded with Rogers advertising every time I want the program guide!
Plus having to press guide twice to get into the guide is not fun. Bring back the old way

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have the new Quick Start Guide in Midland as of today. I do not like it, it takes me twice as long now to go searching for the things I couldn't find before.

I know this has been stated a million times, but why can't they implement logical changes, like the ability to search by movies, etc and having different genres colour-coded in the guide? Not to mention the ability to hide channels we don't get?

In all honesty, if ExpressVu carried TCM, I would switch in a heartbeat and solely because of this crappy program guide.

Edit: Hmmm...apparently they do carry it now...I guess I'll be switching soon

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think the new feature is Simple and well put together. It looks like they can, over time ,build on this app, maybe even build an IPG into it. This may be their ultimate plan. Give the Feature a chance before trashing it. New Features are always a Plus in my book.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This issue sounds more and more like making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.

How long does it take to click the menu button twice? Is anyone upset that you have to hit three buttons (545) to get CNN HD as opposed to only two buttons (33) to get CNN SD?

The way commercials eat up TV time these days I really don't think I'm missing anything in the time it takes to hit the menu again. I waste so much time trying to find ANYthing in the guide that the extra button push is really a non-issue.

I think it is hilarious that this new "Quick Start" actually slows things down but it is still insignificant.

1 - 20 of 554 Posts