Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting earlier today, I can no longer to program a recording with my Netbox 3.0.

Every time I schedule a recording, the PVR should say “Recording failed, due to duplicate recording”.
I then tried to record a current show, the PVR would give the same message.

I then did “Reboot Set-Top Box” and I could schedule to record a few shows but it would fail again with the same error message.

Please help.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
It's difficult to say what what is causing the error but the most likely cause is a failed or failing hard drive. Can previously recorded programming be watched? Resetting the PVR to factory defaults under Settings > Diagnostics might help but it will erase all timers and recordings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I can watch previously recorded shows. However, I do have occasional issues while watching recorded shows:
1. While watching a recorded show, the PVR would hang and I could no longer to further watch the show. I thought it was the result of a bad sector so I did not delete the show to avoid this bad decor.
2. Recently, while watching a recorded show, the picture would go blank and resumes after 1-2 seconds.

I will do the Factory Reset once I finished watching all of most of the recorded show.

Also, maybe I should replace the hard drive. However, I should not waste money for a new HDD if something wrong with the PVR that cannot be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Also, maybe I should replace the hard drive. However, I should not waste money for a new HDD if something wrong with the PVR that cannot be fixed.
Remember that everyone is being migrated to IgniteTV, so Digital Cable may not be around much longer. No one knows exactly how long Digital Cable will be around, but IgniteTV is now 4 years old...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the symptoms listing on my 2 posts, what is your guess? Is it a HDD issue with my PVR?

Because of the error “Recording failed, due to duplicate recording”, I can no longer record new shows,

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
I don't recall that exact message, but I recall that sometimes you cannot set a new recording because the PVR thinks there is already that scheduled recording set. IIRC, the solution was to delete that duplicate scheduled recording (if you can find it) and start over.

If it's a HDD issue, you usually cannot pause live TV. Can you do that? When watching a live programme, say CP24, try to rewind it...

Sometimes if it's a HDD issue, that is displayed on the front display - something like "HDD er". Or sometimes when you reboot, it'll tell you that there is something amiss with the HDD, but you can use the PVR as a tuner...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tried. I can pause and rewind live TV.
When I tried to record a current show, it would say ‘Scheduling’ but it would not record.

For the error message “Recording failed, due to duplicate recording”, I am sure there is no pre-existing scheduled recording (I tried to record many shows that I have no interest in).

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
If you can pause live TV, then the HDD is functioning, although not necessarily without issues until more testing can be done. Try another regular reboot by unplugging the PVR for say 10 minutes. Try removing some of your scheduled recordings that can be watched on-demand or that you can schedule again later. How full is the HDD? How many programmes do you have recorded or scheduled - sometimes if there are too many, this can cause issues.

If that doesn't work, perhaps a factory reset will work, but that will erase all your recordings, favourites, other settings, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The HDD is only 18% full.
I am going to leave the PVR unplugged tonight.
Factory Reset will be the last resort.

My concern is ‘Recording failed, due to duplicate recording’ is use to something wrong in the circuit board. This is something I cannot fix.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
When troubleshooting a PVR, I would try the following troubleshooting steps in this order, note, some options may not be possible on every cable provider:

Erase the recording, erase the scheduled recording, manually delete a few recordings, try to delete all the recordings, format the pvr if possible so it removes any corrupt files
factory reset the PVR if possible
Call the cable provider and have them try to diagnose it on their end, it could need to be re-provisioned, something you are not able to do on your own, or it could need some troubleshooting steps in a certain order, maybe a re-hit, re-authorization, etc. these are all things only the provider can do for you.
Since your a paying customer, even though you might own the box, there is "some" responsibility of the cable company to help troubleshoot customer owned box issues, but if it is completely dead, dont expect them to RMA. but still worth a shot

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kept the PVR powered off overnight. Power on this morning and I could schedule recordings successfully. Then I tried again after maybe 10 minutes and the PVR would give me the same error message “Recording failed, due to duplicate recording’.

I may have to do the Factory Reset. Does this Factory Reset include formatting the HDD as well?
I checked the PVR, clicked Troubleshooting, clicked Diagnostics and I saw 2 options: “Restore Factory Settings” and “Reboot Set-Top Box”. I do not see the option to format the HDD.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Some PVR manufacturers have the option to Format the HDD available to the customer via a regular or secret menu / keystrokes, while other manufacturers only the Provider can send the format command. I am not an expert on Rogers PVRs so I unfortunately do not know if this is something the customer can do or not

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remove it and format it via a PC? Which file format? FAT32, exFAT, NTFS?
I am probably wrong because I thought these PVR has its own proprietary file system so we cannot copy the recorded shows to another HDD.

My HDD probably has some bad sectors. Is there any native hard disk utilities in the PVR to make these bad sectors?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
The factory reset does format the hard disk but it is what is known as a quick format. It simply refreshes the disk layout to initial settings. To do a thorough disk analysis or full format where every sector is read or rewritten then removing the drive and installing it in a PC is the best option. There are drive utilities available, sometimes from the disk maker, that can analyze the disk. Smartctl or SMART disk utilities can read the internal disk data that provides detailed information on the condition of the drive. It is a fast way to determine if the disk is failing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More and more I am thinking to replace the HDD. I am sure there are many bad sectors in my HDD and unfortunately the PVR formatting would not identify the bad sectors. I do not have a Linux computer so full formatting is not easy.

On top of the inability to schedule recording, I see blank screen occasionally while watching recorded shows. This lasts for maybe 2-3 seconds and the show would continue. This happens more and more, a few times per day.
Yesterday when I did a rewind while watching live TV, the screen froze for maybe a minute and then the PVR rebooted.

How about this one, 1TB Skyhawks Surveillance Drive? Would this fit in a CAV10555HD?

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Here's a thread on replacing the iHDD on the 9865. The 4K PVR is similar but not many people have had to do drive replacements, hence almost no information.

The WD purple drive is recommended for PVR use, but people have used WD Black, WD Blue and Seagate drives.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I'd recommend the either the Seagate Surveillance drive or the WD Purple Surveillance drive. The Seagate Blue is not designed for 24hr/day use and therefore not suitable for PVRs. The Black is not necessary and may cause overheating issues due to higher power use. The 1TB NAS might be OK but I've seen other sizes spin down frequently which can causes issues due to a 10-15 second spin up time.

I do not have a Linux computer so full formatting is not easy.
Windows will do a full format. Just uncheck the Quick Format box. Several Linux distros can be booted from a USB drive and provides the smartctl utility which provides the SMART status of the drive.

That can be done on Windows with the free GSmartControl utility. Failures should be flagged in the Attributes tab. If the Norm-ed Value is very close to or has reached the Threshold value it can indicate that the drive is failing. Most Norm-ed Values start at 100 and count down. Norm-ed Values for Reallocated or Pending sectors below 100 usually indicate a failing drive. In addition to providing the SMART status, it also as several drive testing options. If testing is done, I'd recommend the Extended Self Test option since it scans the entire drive. It will take several hours.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your advice.
I think I will just go ahead to buy the Seagate Skyhawk ST1000VX005. In case it does not work, I still have the old HDD to fall back to.

As for the old Toshiba HDD, defective it may be, I can still use it as a tuner. Also, I notice that if I reboot the PVR, I can schedule recordings for a few minutes,

Just for my education, when you format this PVR HDD in Windows PC, which file format should I select (FAT32, FATex, NTFS…)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts