Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
I am on-call for work. Work calls me routinely but the calls never make it to my cell phone when I am at home or the calls drop.

I live in Surrey BC which is a major urban area near Vancouver. I live 3km from the closest Rogers celltower.

Over a year ago I was on their 3G network with my Google Nexus HTC phone. They blamed my phone for the dropped calls so I bought a Samsung S3 from Rogers which is on 4G LTE and renewed a 3 year contract.

My boss gave me hell at work last night because they were calling and calling me while I was sitting at home waiting for calls yet my PHONE NEVER RANG. I am really angry with Rogers.<

Rogers won`t let me out of the contract even though their aren't honoring their end of the deal since they are providing me with a cell phone service that doesn`t work. Their technical people have no answer for me.

What are my options please Any advice

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Try putting your phone into HSPA/GSM mode. Voice calls do not work on LTE, your phone should automatically kick down to HSPA/GSM when an incoming call comes through, but sometimes the phone/network has trouble doing that. If you're still having issues with receiving calls while in HSPA/GSM mode only then you just live in an area with poor service. Unfortunately Rogers and their competitors do not guarantee service as per their TOS and they will not let you out of the contract just because you get poor signal in your home. To avoid the ECF, you can try and see if anyone else is willing to take over your contract. If you do end up signing up with a competitor sign up on a month to month basis so you can cancel anytime or if you do sign up on a contract make sure you try out the service during the buyer's remorse period to make sure it works.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Poor areas are unavoidable with cell networks. I'm just a couple of blocks from the the nearest site and a few blocks from another, yet coverage is bad at one end of my condo, but good at the other. I have my cell phone set up to transfer unanswered calls to my home phone.

Here is a list of the various numbers, as provided by Rogers:

Call Forward / Call Waiting Star Codes

Note: If you have a voicemail active on your account, you will only be able to perform the unconditional call forwarding (forwards all calls). Any conditioncal call forwarding will not register on the network.

To perform call forwarding, go to the phone application on your device and dial these numbers. Then press send once you have entered the code.

Forward All Calls
- Activate *21*[10 Digit Phone Number]#
- Cancel & De-register ##21#
- Cancel & Retain #21#
- Status *#21#
- Re-establish *21#

Forward if Busy
- Activate *67*[10 Digit Phone Number]#
- Cancel & De-register ##67#
- Cancel & Retain #67#
- Status *#67#
- Re-establish *67#

Forward if Not Answered
- Activate *61*[10 Digit Phone Number]#
- Cancel & De-register ##61#
- Cancel & Retain #61#
- Status *#61#
- Re-establish *61#

Forward if Out of Reach
- Activate *62*[10 Digit Phone Number]#
- Cancel & De-register ##62#
- Cancel & Retain #62#
- Status *#62#
- Re-establish *62#

Simultaneously perform ALL FOUR forwards:
- Activate *002*[10 Digit Phone Number]#
- Cancel & De-register ##002#
- Cancel & Retain #002#
- Re-establish *002#

Simultaneously perform ALL Conditional Forwards:

- Activate *004*[10 Digit Phone Number]#
- Cancel & De-register ##004#
- Cancel & Retain #004#
- Re-establish *004#

Call Waiting

Star Code
Result

*43#
Activate Call Waiting

#43#
Deactivate Call Waiting

*#43#
Check status of Call Waiting

Star Code
Result

*#06#
Displays the IMEI number

#31#
Temp block outgoing caller ID

#686# (#NUM#)
Displays mobile number

#326# (#FAM#)
Displays the individual line usage (limits) on Family Allowances (TMo)

#793# (#PWD#)
Resets your voicemail password to the last for digits of your mobile number

*#*#8351#*#*
Voice Dialer Logging Enabled

*#*#8350#*#*
Voice Dialer Logging Disabled

*#*#4636#*#*
Phone Setting

**05***#
PUK Unlock (from emergency dial screen)

*#*#7262626#*#*
Enter Field Test Mode

*3001#12345#*
Enter Field Test Mode on iPhone

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'd also add that if Rogers doesn't let you out of your contract out of good will you can also use their free Rogers One Number service and make and receive calls with a computer or tablet. You can also purchase their ATA adapter which is $24.99 and pay the $9.95 monthly service fee and receive your cell phone calls on a regular telephone as well. You may be able to convince them to credit you back for the monthly service fee for the RON adapter portion for the duration of your contract.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
LTE in Markham is very spotty, I ended up using 4G option on my BB Q10 because I keep losing signal, especially inside my house and in Bayview / MajorMackenzie area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts