Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you run out of $ before the end of the month, the phone is automatically topped up
That's not true. Autosaver works on a scheduled date based on the cycle date of the account (date is determined based on what day account was activated, the actual recharge will be in account 3 days after this date). If you run out of money before the next top-up, Autosaver won't recharge until the next scheduled date. You can recharge on your own in between, the Autosaver will still work on the next scheduled date.

Also, be aware with Autosaver if your credit card is rejected three months in a row your number will be deactivated, so if your card changes (even just the expiry), you need to update the information by calling in and speaking to an agent.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
mastercontrol Thank you for that clarification. It appears that the first CSR that I talked to was incorrect about the automatic top up in need. The regular automatic $10 (or whatever you signed up for) withdrawals apparently occur on a certain date of each month and if you need anything sooner, you need to do it "manually" (via phone, internet, etc). You apparently get some sort of (free) text message when your account is under $3, so that you can top up.

Thanks for the warning on the card. I have a list of people that I notify whenever my card changes and that list includes Rogers.

One further clarification. The Rogers Home Phone information implies free calls to Rogers Wireless phones. Although this is true at the "Home Phone end" (for say LD), you still need to pay for the time, etc on your PAYG phone.

Edit, regarding item 2, not being able to download the manual - this was a strange one. On the Samsung site there are several service providers. If I access via FireFox/Mac, Rogers is not listed. If I access via IE or Safari, Rogers is listed and I was able to download.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you go to Rogers website under wireless there's a spot where you can actually buy the $100 card online with your credit card.

Also you can buy a $100 at any Macs convenience store I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you go to Rogers website under wireless there's a spot where you can actually buy the $100 card online with your credit card.
The maximum you can recharge with credit card on Paygo is $50 (5 recharges per card per month, max 2 cards per account). Even Interac recharge on rogers.com is limited to $50. $50 gets you a 30 day expiry.

The only way to get $100 for 365 day expiry is with a voucher.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
I just wanted to comment on my experience with Rogers PAYGo which I started almost exactly one year ago - post 20 of this thread.

1. We use the phone rarely, so it's mostly an "emergency" phone used several times a month and mostly with the ringer off.
2. The auto withdrawal of $10/mo has worked well, no issues.
3. There were some phone calls early on that were "wrong numbers". I called Rogers and they credited us for the calls. We still receive the occasional (wrong number) call, but it's probably less than once a month so I don't bother asking for credits.
4. After 12 months we now have a balance of about $90, so we've started occasionally using the phone for non-emergency stuff. I even used it in the US to make a restaurant reservation since I now view this call as "free" vs. spending money at a hotel for a coin phone or room charge.

All in all a good experience. The only minor quibble is that the PAYGo account is separate from my Rogers Internet, Cable & Home Phone (bundle), making for two bills instead of one. For some reason they don't yet integrate PAYGo into one account. Both of my Rogers bills get charged automatically to my (premium) Visa credit card, and I get a rebate at the end of the year there too. Had this set up for years and so far also no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can get the $100 card at any Roger's kiosk. They just don't advertise it as I'm sure I don't add a lot to their bottom line spending $8.33 month (100/12). My minutes are .39c during the day and I choose the after 8pm and weekend option of .01C a min.

About a day or two before the end of the year I purchase another $100. Any amount you have left from the previous year is carried over.

I like this option as I don't have to worry about topping up each month.

Note: I know I am one of the few who used a cell phone for what it was originally meant for (emergencies! or absolutely important things that take under a minute to pass on). I have a home phone and a work phone with voicemail if anyone really, really needs to get a hold of me.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
One more vote for the Rogers PAYGO $100/year plan. It's absolutely the way to go if you're not a "cellphone person". For me a cellphone is for emergencies and occasions I need to phone someone when away from home. I also use it to text my son, who has a cellphone because he's seldom lived in one place for more than a few months. Because of this, paying more per month than the cost of a land line, like most most cellphone users do, would be unthinkable. As it is, I only use maybe 1/3 of my minutes per year, so I have a huge balance. So sometimes I even use my cellphone in the house and always whenever I need to make a long distance call to save long distance charges on my land line. It's too bad you can't buy just $50 vouchers each year that roll over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have a built up surplus balance and decide later to go off the autosaver, or decide to switch to another plan, can you keep or rollover your balance?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just signed up for the Autosaver. Apparently it takes two months to go through, so it won't start making automatic deductions until then. Paid for the first two months. Got a 5% discount.

I noticed in my phone's booklet that airtime charges apply for messages left in my voicemail as well as for checking my messages. So they ding you twice? Holy crap!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
fovea, yes, they get you any way they can. I originally got a Rogers pay-go phone just for emergencies and the odd time I needed a pay phone and couldn't find one. The time would usually expire before I used it up. All the amounts that can be added to your account on line expire in one month unless you add more before the month expires, so they're a rip-off unless you're a heavy user, in which case you probably should be using a different plan anyway. I then learned from a friend that you could add $100 to your account at Rogers stores which does not expire for a year and rolls over if you add another $100 before it expires. That works out to $8.33 plus HST a month. In my case I've never even used half the time in a year, so my balance has grown (was over $200 at one time). Then Rogers noticed the high balance and last time let me roll over the balance less $100 of it without paying. We'll see what happens next year. Of course, if you're a heavy cellphone user, $100 a year may not be enough for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to buy my yearly update code for $100. This continues to be the way go go for me based on my usage.

I may look at picking up a new phone however as this Motorola W370 is looking old and beat up. Would it just be an easy switching of my current sim card to the new one?

Does anyone know if the minutes from one Rogers paygo phone to another Rogers paygo phone are free?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Just got an e-mail today stating that they will be making minor changes to the "auto-saver" on October 24th (my date, yours may be different). Looks like no big deal, but one has to make the change...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got the email too but can't see anything on the site about changing it, I already have auto top up set up on the auto saver plan so not sure what the differences are except probably to cost more :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ha Ha thanks 57, you put me in the right month.... stupid me.... getting to old I guess, I wondered why I couldnt see anything.........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pay as you go phone upgrade?

Hi,

Has anyone out there had any luck getting a phone upgrade from Rogers through the Pay as You Go plan?

Have been with them for 8 years as a P as Y G and would like to upgrade my Motorola V551M to a newer model.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well, when Rogers switched from Analog to GSM in 2007, they sent me a new phone (Nokia 2610) which was a upgrade, even though I'd lost my original phone a couple of years earlier. :)

21 - 40 of 157 Posts