Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If my contract isn't up for a few months, can I still get a new plan and not get charged for switching or anything?

Or if I put a cancel request in, could it go into effect in like 3 weeks (my contract expires in about 8), and would that cost me anything? Or if I change my mind, can I uncancel before?
Do as much price/feature/function comparison online as you can and decide if you can live with either service. Then get a real quote from the alternate service and see how it compares with your online search. Be caution as they have "magical" ways of presenting the numbers that make it look attractive or cheaper.
Armed with that information contact live chat. It would be surprising to get Ignite Premier 500U with 3 boxes for under $170, taxes included.
Not sure of their current strategy but Bell seemed to raise their prices every 6-9 months.
You can usually reverse a cancelation request up to 1 or 2 days before the final cancel date. You can renegotiate a new plan at any time, even a few months before the scheduled end date.
Finally, if you decide to switch, have your new provider manage the porting of your existing telephone number. DO NOT cancel it yourself or you might lose the number.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do as much price/feature/function comparison online as you can and decide if you can live with either service. Then get a real quote from the alternate service and see how it compares with your online search. Be caution as they have "magical" ways of presenting the numbers that make it look attractive or cheaper.
Armed with that information contact live chat. It would be surprising to get Ignite Premier 500U with 3 boxes for under $170, taxes included.
Not sure of their current strategy but Bell seemed to raise their prices every 6-9 months.
You can usually reverse a cancelation request up to 1 or 2 days before the final cancel date. You can renegotiate a new plan at any time, even a few months before the scheduled end date.
Finally, if you decide to switch, have your new provider manage the porting of your existing telephone number. DO NOT cancel it yourself or you might lose the number.
If I put in a cancellation notice for a month in advance, would that cause me to lose my number? I also want to be able to reverse that cancellation if 2 weeks before the cancellation date I dont want to anymore because nobody's been offering anything good.

I dont want to switch to Bell, but hoping if I try going with them it could have Roger's calling back to offer something better.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If I put in a cancellation notice for a month in advance, would that cause me to lose my number? I also want to be able to reverse that cancellation if 2 weeks before the cancellation date I dont want to anymore because nobody's been offering anything good.

I dont want to switch to Bell, but hoping if I try going with them it could have Roger's calling back to offer something better.
You will likely be ok and not lose your number, but you will be playing a dangerous game. About a month before give Live Chat a try and see what they can come up with. You do not have to accept the offer. If you are not happy with it then continue your search and signup for a switch at least 2 weeks before. Maybe allow the services to overlap so that you do not lose internet and TV service.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My current promotion ends this month. I dread the usual yearly call, especially as since I'm on the legacy plan I don't have any promotions available.
What does moving to Ignite involve? I have three TVs. and an internet modem. Since they don't come inside your home anymore, is this an easy thing to set up?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you are an existing Rogers digital TV customer, then I'm pretty sure they don't allow for self-installs at this time due to COVID-19. They also have a pretty huge backlog. Rogers "expect" you to stay on Digital Cable until such time as they are again able to do Ignite Installs. New customers are treated differently.

See the IgniteTV forum over on Rogers for additional information regarding this and lots of other IgniteTV information. What you might be able to do is negotiate the IgniteTV bundle price for a few months while maintaining Legacy Digital Cable until they allow IgniteTV installs again. See:

And:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
My current promotion ends this month. I dread the usual yearly call, especially as since I'm on the legacy plan I don't have any promotions available.
What does moving to Ignite involve? I have three TVs. and an internet modem. Since they don't come inside your home anymore, is this an easy thing to set up?
I moved to ignite bundle back in late February. I got a big discount from my digital plan, however, it is a one year deal. I don't know how it will roll out when my 1 year contract is out. In regards to ignite tv itself, it is slower when changing channel. WiFi is good (500 mbps down), and I got 3 pods free so I can have reasonable signal in dead spots. Home phone is as in digital cable, but no more on screen display of caller. I can also use my htpc to watch all channels instead of renting extra boxes at $8 a month. Watching tv on my htpc is ok, but I need to enable flash (have not been able to make it a default), and changing channels is even slower. Despite of these negatives, I am happy with it especially with bif monthly discount.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Please note that this thread is about pricing. Please use the other IgniteTV thread to discuss technical aspects.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Rogers "expect" you to stay on Digital Cable until such time as they are again able to do Ignite Installs.

Since they won't let us upgrade, they should at least extend the existing package until we can. Instead I got a price increase, though they did give me unlimited Internet and Crave for $10/month for 4 months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I encountered the same issue when my discount expired in June. I had been calling for a little over a month before and was told there were no deals available and to call back closer to the deal expiry. I had no luck until I called right after the deal expired.

The agent explained that they were trying to move existing customers over to Ignite but because of the pandemic, she was able to extend my discount until September (including the month that I had just been billed in advance for at the normal rate).

My package is for the TV, 150MB Internet and Home Phone.

When I expressed my concern about suddenly having to pay for 2 additional rentals for my other TVs, she told me they have a buyback plan for the old hardware, but did not provide any details.

I guess I'll have to see how things look in September and consider the change and what I can negotiate.

The research I've been able to do shows that Rogers will provide a 4 port switch and the pods which is good because I currently have the WiFi disabled on the modem and am using my own router and a WiFi Extender so that my coverage for the 2.4GHz is good on the 2nd floor. The 5GHz signal seems to be very good around the whole house.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Again looking deeper into the potential upgrade and noticed that one of my current HD PVRs is connected via HDMI for video and optical cable for the audio to my Receiver. I've looked at the Ignite boxes and only seen an HDMI output.

Does anyone know if Rogers will offer something to also provide the optical audio output or am I going to be forced to replace my receiver?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Again looking deeper into the potential upgrade and noticed that one of my current HD PVRs is connected via HDMI for video and optical cable for the audio to my Receiver. I've looked at the Ignite boxes and only seen an HDMI output.

Does anyone know if Rogers will offer something to also provide the optical audio output or am I going to be forced to replace my receiver?
There could be a few reason why you configured your connections that way (maybe lip sync issues), but just the HDMI cable is enough to provide both audio and video to the AVR. The Ignite box does not have an optical connection, so you will just need to change the settings in the AVR to process both audio and video from the HDMI input. You will not need to replace your AVR.
Try making these changes now to your existing setup.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have HDMI to TV which has optical out to AVR . There is no audio sync problem.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If your AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs for audio, then you can go "through" the TV for audio, using the optical out of the TV, as mentioned above. You'll need to appropriately set the audio settings in the TV's user audio menu to "external speakers" or similar. There are rare instances where this will not work, per the FAQ link below, item 4.

I believe there are "converters" that can be used that provide an optical out signal for audio while continuing the HDMI signal to the TV for video. Sometimes these can create problems with the "Handshake" between the TV and the cable box though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs for audio, then you can go "through" the TV for audio, using the optical out of the TV, as mentioned above. You'll need to appropriately set the audio settings in the TV's user audio menu to "external speakers" or similar. There are rare instances where this will not work, per the FAQ link below, item 4.

I believe there are "converters" that can be used that provide an optical out signal for audio while continuing the HDMI signal to the TV for video. Sometimes these can create problems with the "Handshake" between the TV and the cable box though.
Unfortunately the AVR doesn't support audio through the HDMI input (15+ year old Harmon Kardon). TV is a Samsung 5033 which the manual shows an optical audio out so it looks like a could go from there.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts