Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we already have an Ignite discussion thread, let's use this thread to discuss programming, pricing, etc.

The other Ignite discussion thread can be used more for technical discussions - how things work, problems, etc.

The other pricing thread is for Digital Cable, which is being phased out in favour of Ignite, but digital cable will probably be around for years to come, for existing customers, but will not accept new customers. New customers will have to subscribe to Ignite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was with Rogers for years but swapped to Bell 5 or 6 years ago once Fibe was available in my neighbourhood. I'm looking back at Rogers for the first time in a while to see what they have going and I have a few questions after having more or less exhausted the info on the Rogers site:

1) TSN2 doesn't appear to be available on any of the packages, even the highest-end. Am I reading that right?
2) What happened to the TV/Internet/Home Phone bundles? Now it seems it's only TV/Internet and the home phone prices are stupidly expensive as add-ons.
3) How does the wireless home phone compare to home phone? Functionally, is it roughly equivalent to me connecting my Panasonic phone system to my cell phone via Bluetooth but using a wireless bridge of some sort instead of a cell phone?
4) What exactly is Ignite? It's talked about as if it's an actual thing rather than just a marketing term. How is it different from Digital Cable? Is it some sort of IPTV system along the lines of Bell Fibe?
5) How's the Ignite hardware? I kind of love the Bell Fibe experience these days, especially with the 4K PVR. No voice control but other than that it's snappy, intuitive, works well and does pretty much everything I'd want it to. I think my last Rogers PVR was the 8300HD or something like that and it was a clunky piece of crap in comparison.

·
Registered
629 Posts
TSN2 is available
You must have TV Internet Home Phone bundled for Ignite
Wireless home phone is separate and has a wireless receiver you plug your phone into. Same service as a cell phone with no data.
Ignite is IPTV, not cable TV.
After 6 months, I am quite happy with Ignite TV receivers. It’s not perfect but better than previous system. Cloud PVR is great when power goes out. The only two big issues seem to be if you have surround sound it doesn’t have proper audio and there is no call display on the TV as there was with digital cable.

·
Registered
367 Posts
2) What happened to the TV/Internet/Home Phone bundles? Now it seems it's only TV/Internet and the home phone prices are stupidly expensive as add-ons.
If you look at the bundles today, home phone is essentially included for free. I'm considering going with Ignite 10 and just taking a new number - since it's free - and compare the voice quality with my current phone provider - VoIP Much, which I quite like.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
When I asked her about the fact that I then would have to pay for additional boxes as I currently own all of mine, the told me that Rogers will buy back the current boxes. I guess that will be a small gain which will shortly be override by the the $8/month for each additional box I'd have to rent. SIGH
Is there a timeframe for that? I didn't get the impression that change was happening soon ... my current Nextbox is only about 3 years old, and I had no plans to replace it for years to come, given how much less one uses regular TV anymore.

How much to by the new boxes ... I've no intention of renting a box for $100 a year.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If you can negotiate a discount from your current contract, you will offset the cost of rental boxes.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
If you can negotiate a discount from your current contract, you will offset the cost of rental boxes.
I've never seen Rogers provide a discount other than temporarily ... 2 years max. Paying $800 over 10 years isn't much better than $1,000 over 10 years.

How much to purchase - I'm not finding the Flex website easy to find anything.

When's the switchover?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When my contract is about to expire, I would call Rogers and negotiate for a discount and every time I receive a reduced monthly payment (sometimes have to talk to their retention staff ). This past February, I called to renew my contract and they offered a deep discount going from digital to ignite bundle. The discount more than pay for the monthly rental boxes for 6 years. Next year when my discount ends, I'll call them again and see what they have to offer. I know it is an annoying game, but it did save me a bundle for the last few years.
I am not aware they offer to sell the rental boxes, but maybe you can search BestBuy. But whatever they cost, the technology may change and you may be stuck with these boxes. If you are happy with digital just stay with it until they force you in a few years.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a timeframe for that? I didn't get the impression that change was happening soon ... my current Nextbox is only about 3 years old, and I had no plans to replace it for years to come, given how much less one uses regular TV anymore.

How much to by the new boxes ... I've no intention of renting a box for $100 a year.
1. The change will be gradual. IgniteTV has already been around for a couple of years, and digital cable will be around for a few more years from now at least.
2. Your Nextbox may have arrived at your home 3 years ago, however, if you look at the production date on it (underneath or on the back) I'm sure you'll find it's much older than 3 years.
3. Rogers hasn't allowed purchases of new boxes in years. You cannot buy any new boxes from Rogers (digital cable or IgniteTV). You cannot purchase the IgniteTV boxes used or new, they are only available as rentals. You have to look at the overall cost of your IgniteTV package and not zoom in on the cost of the box(es).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I just bought a used NB2 in mint condition at a thrift store for $12.00. Rogers authorized it without any hassles.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought a used NB2 in mint condition at a thrift store for $12.00. Rogers authorized it without any hassles.
What does that have to do with the IgniteTV discussions in this thread?

PS. You were lucky because the NB2 could have been stolen or a rental, in which case Rogers would not have authorized it. See link below:

·
Registered
367 Posts
3. Rogers hasn't allowed purchases of new boxes in years. You cannot buy any new boxes from Rogers (digital cable or IgniteTV). You cannot purchase the IgniteTV boxes used or new, they are only available as rentals. You have to look at the overall cost of your IgniteTV package and not zoom in on the cost of the box(es).
Renting also makes it much easier to just switch providers if you find a much better deal.

One thing the requirement to rent did was force me to analyze if we needed to pay for 3 receivers. It turns out our kids only stream on the basement TV so if we move to Ignite we won't bother with a receiver for that TV, saving us $8/month.

·
Registered
367 Posts

The problem with the legacy equipment is that you're at Roger's mercy for pricing. My promotion ends in Aug and my internet+TV legacy package price will rise from $135 to $170. I can just move to Ignite 10 for $135, and rent one additional receiver for $8/mo.

If you just have basic cable+internet, maybe your price is reasonable, especially if you own the equipment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Rogers gigabit and I pay $66/month no contract. Search Rogers on redflag. There are all kinds of tips to haggle down prices and get unlisted deals in Ottawa. I read people yelling on ignite for high cost its all came down to timely knowledge of these promotions. Last year there was a promotion where people in the downtown could get contract free gigabit for $40

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
1. The change will be gradual. IgniteTV has already been around for a couple of years, and digital cable will be around for a few more years from now at least.
Ah ... I got the impression from above that we were into months, not years. Nothing to worry about, it will surely all have changed by then - including the absurd Ignite pricing.

2. Your Nextbox may have arrived at your home 3 years ago, however, if you look at the production date on it (underneath or on the back) I'm sure you'll find it's much older than 3 years.
Ah ... never spotted that. July 2015 ... just under 5 years ago. Older ... not much older.

3. Rogers hasn't allowed purchases of new boxes in years. You cannot buy any new boxes from Rogers (digital cable or IgniteTV).
How is that legal? When CRTC changed the rules, forcing Bell (and phone companies) to sell people telephones, rather than the 100-year old practice of just renting them, it changed the telephone industry in Canada .. leading to such innovations as telephone jacks. Surely CRTC can't have gone backwards and now allows them to only rent devices.

The problem with the legacy equipment is that you're at Roger's mercy for pricing. My promotion ends in Aug and my internet+TV legacy package price will rise from $135 to $170. I can just move to Ignite 10 for $135, and rent one additional receiver for $8/mo.
I just can't fathom paying that much money though. My Rogers cable is about $43 including regular Sportsnet and TSN. And I've added the $5 news package. I recently upgraded my Internet from a different supplier from the $35 package I've had for years, to $60 package to give me 10 Mbps up instead of 0.6 Mbps now everyone is at home. About $105 And I feel I'm paying too much for cable, given how much I stream these days.

If you just have basic cable+internet, maybe your price is reasonable, especially if you own the equipment.
I'll be looking for a $50 maximum Ignite TV package, when the time comes. Much more than that, and the new PVR will be using a TV antenna off the CN tower, and I'll add a subscription online to Sportsnet and TSN.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just can't fathom paying that much money though. My Rogers cable is about $43 including regular Sportsnet and TSN. And I've added the $5 news package. I recently upgraded my Internet from a different supplier from the $35 package I've had for years, to $60 package to give me 10 Mbps up instead of 0.6 Mbps now everyone is at home. About $105 And I feel I'm paying too much for cable, given how much I stream these days.

I'll be looking for a $50 maximum Ignite TV package, when the time comes. Much more than that, and the new PVR will be using a TV antenna off the CN tower, and I'll add a subscription online to Sportsnet and TSN.
One thing you're going to run into is the fact that Rogers (and Bell) require you to subscribe to their internet service to get their TV service (Ignite & Fibe). Once that happens, you're going to be into the $120+ price point.

You're probably fine for now on Rogers legacy cable TV service, but you have no negotiating power any more.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
One thing you're going to run into is the fact that Rogers (and Bell) require you to subscribe to their internet service to get their TV service (Ignite & Fibe). Once that happens, you're going to be into the $120+ price point.
Presumably that has to change before they eliminate the existing Cable service - I'd think that would run afoul of various CRTC regulations otherwise.

You're probably fine for now on Rogers legacy cable TV service, but you have no negotiating power any more
Not sure how that I don't have power ... cable is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Particularly now I've upgraded my Internet with everyone isolating at home, and recently replaced by HD TV with one with a built-in digital tuner. Still - if digital cable is going to be around for a few years yet ... all moot, and everything will have surely changed three times before I have to worry, assuming I can still continue to reduce my cable cost in the upcoming years.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Presumably that has to change before they eliminate the existing Cable service - I'd think that would run afoul of various CRTC regulations otherwise.

Not sure how that I don't have power ... cable is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Particularly now I've upgraded my Internet with everyone isolating at home, and recently replaced by HD TV with one with a built-in digital tuner. Still - if digital cable is going to be around for a few years yet ... all moot, and everything will have surely changed three times before I have to worry, assuming I can still continue to reduce my cable cost in the upcoming years.
You won't have power to affect the cost of Rogers legacy service. You either accept the "deal" on your package, change your package (in my case, they were going to let me downgrade from the premium to popular package for a huge $2/month savings), or leave.

Bottom line: Rogers wants people to migrate away from the legacy service.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
You won't have power to affect the cost of Rogers legacy service. You either accept the "deal" on your package, change your package (in my case, they were going to let me downgrade from the premium to popular package for a huge $2/month savings), or leave.

Bottom line: Rogers wants people to migrate away from the legacy service.
Are they using Ignite for their minimum $25 service? As far as I know, that's only encouraging new customers to use Cable.

I've been dropping channels for a while. As soon as BBC World is available through streaming, that $5/month package is gone. If they are difficult with my current $45 package, I'll switch to the $25 one, and switch to streaming for TSN and Sportsnet ... if there's anything to watch. If they are still difficult, I buy a PVR can record from the aerial. Rogers has no leverage any more ... but I suspect this will happen in a period of years, rather than months.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are they using Ignite for their minimum $25 service? As far as I know, that's only encouraging new customers to use Cable.

I've been dropping channels for a while. As soon as BBC World is available through streaming, that $5/month package is gone. If they are difficult with my current $45 package, I'll switch to the $25 one, and switch to streaming for TSN and Sportsnet ... if there's anything to watch. If they are still difficult, I buy a PVR can record from the aerial. Rogers has no leverage any more ... but I suspect this will happen in a period of years, rather than months.
I don't think they use Ignite for the basic cable package.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts