Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
My discount period was coming to an end, and I was able to get a two year contract for all the same services and equipment at about $10/month less than what I'm paying with my current discounts, and the rate is guaranteed not to increase during those two years. Maybe I could have gotten more if I bothered to climb the ladder to retentions and all that, but summer is too short I'm satisfied with this.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I too, was checking out the new TV packages but unless I am missing something, the Website now only lists the 3 new packages - Select, Popular, and Premier. Gone is any mention of theme packs (Do they still exist?), premium services like TMN, Superchannel, or HBO and there is nothing on whether or not you can add individual channels a la carte other than the one bonus channel available with each new package. We currently have VIP and pay an extra $2.79 a month for Investigation Discovery. With the new packages, it appears the only way we could keep ID would be to subscribe to the Premier Package and select ID as our bonus channel. Our current Digital VIP package is listed at $76.99 (before our discount) while the new Premier package is $99.99. It hardly seems worth $23 a month for one channel!

It would also appear that far fewer channels are being offered in the new packages. To compare, the "older" VIP package included 260+ channels. When you look at the new packages, the "Popular" (sic) package includes up to 143 channels for $74.99 while the "Premier" package gives you up to 183 channels for $99.99.

Unless I am missing something, once again, we are being screwed over by Rogers.

My discount period was coming to an end, and I was able to get a two year contract for all the same services and equipment at about $10/month less than what I'm paying with my current discounts, and the rate is guaranteed not to increase during those two years. Maybe I could have gotten more if I bothered to climb the ladder to retentions and all that, but summer is too short I'm satisfied with this.
Thanks for posting this. Our discount is up next month and this is exactly what we would like to do as well - keep our same services and renew for another 2 years. Do you mind mentioning how you got to keep your discount for another 2 years without "climbing the ladder to retentions"?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There are channels missing from the Premiere package as well..
So my guess.. the how/what/pricing for additional packages/channels ontop.. is just not there right now?

As for how to do it without retentions... I have only ever had to do that ONCE myself.. after we had a 4+ month signal issue, and then a cable bury mixup.

Beyond that.. i have had 2 (or 3) deals since then.. and have not had to go to retentions.
After my retentions one finished (or was close to) i called up, and asked that i really dont want to pay that much more than i am now.. whats available?
Found me a deal (2 years again) for more than my retentions one (which was huge) but still significantly less than regular pricing.
When that one ran out, i actually did it via Facebook with them.
But same thing.. said my one is running out.. what can you do?
Found me same TV, same home phone, up to the 100u internet (from 60), for $20 less than i was currently paying.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do you mind mentioning how you got to keep your discount for another 2 years without "climbing the ladder to retentions"?
I did it via Facebook Chat. I mentioned that my discounts were expiring and I'd like to see about renewing them. I was told these discounts are no longer being offered, but they'll see what can be done with my package. After a few minutes they came back with the offer for the total price of my current services going forward, with the proviso that I will now be under contract but the prices are guaranteed for the two years. (Previously the discount was in place for two years but I was not bound to the service and I was subject to the regular service increases.) Again, if I wanted to spend more of my valuable time I probably could have done better but I'm not complaining as this was a lot easier than my previous round with Rogers.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thank you. Two years ago, I did the same thing and received my current discount through Facebook. It all went very smoothly compared to dealing with retentions as I had done in previous years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the package just above Basic, which I thought it wasn't included in this package. It's funny how vague the Rogers page is, it say it might be included in your package.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What Rogers cable tv packages include Shomi for free, its a bit vague on there website: "shomi might already be included with your current Rogers products".

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
TV packages? I dont think it did.

Some of the INTERNET packages did.

Its an option when you have one of the more recent cellphone plans.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Do you have Internet or a Share Everything phone plan? I do know that a number of the Ignite Internet plans used to include free Shomi for 2 years as well as some of the Share Everything plans. I have neither, but my son has free Shomi with his Ignite 60 Internet. None of the Cable packages included Shomi for free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just have the one service with Rogers, Popular TV Package $74.99 and when I click on menu and navigate to Shomi, the shows are all free. I did not make the mistake of signing up on there webpage either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just noticed that the channels used for Centre Ice have been unblocked. Does anyone know if this is for the usual promo period or if IGNITE package subscribers are getting CI for free again this year?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Rogers Cable a la carte pricing - 2016-12-01

I still have Rogers cable. I don't watch it much, but my wife wants to keep it, so I keep it. I'm in Scarborough, Ontario.

Right now AFAIK there isn't really a true a la carte selection, but there is the Starter Package with available Theme Packs. Of course, the Theme Packs are full of channels most people have no interest in, and a couple of channels that people are really after. I notice the VIP option is gone.

Dec. 1 is supposed to bring true a la carte programming.

Besides the basic channels, I'm looking for:

AMC, Space, Comedy, Food, HGTV, and perhaps some kids' channels and News channels. And maybe some audio music channels.

Right now I have these Theme Packs:
Drama + Comedy ($10): AMC, Space, Comedy Network, plus a bunch of channels I don't want.
Variety ($10): Food Network, HGTV, plus a bunch of channels I don't want.

Total:
$24.99 - Starter Package
$10.00 - Drama + Comedy
$10.00 - Variety
$7.49 - Extra outlet fee
------
$52.48 plus tax

I just logged onto my account and it says my account is eligible for 3 outlets. Strange. I thought with the starter package I was only eligible for 1 + an extra one I'm paying for.

---

Does anyone have any clue what the true a la carte pricing might be? If they charge say $5 for channels like Space then the a la carte pricing might actually be more expensive in many cases.

Also, I'll have to call in regarding the 3 outlets. I currently have two active outlets, and a third TV with a Rogers PVR but which isn't activated. It's just sitting there unused because they told me I only have 2 outlets with my above plan, so because it was just a guest TV I didn't bother activating it again after I got rid of my VIP subscription.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just by way of comparison, we are paying $48.99 per month for the VIP package. This includes a $28 discount for having an Ignite bundle and the NB3 is free for our 2-year term. We subscribe to one extra channel (ID) at a monthly cost of $2.79. Our monthly total is $51.78 plus taxes. There is no fee for additional outlets.

It is my understanding that when you pay the $7.49 extra outlet fee, that this entitles you to up to 4 additional outlets. If you need more than 4, then you pay an additional $7.49 per month. I would definitely contact Rogers on this one. Perhaps this was changed when they brought in the new Cable packages.

As for a la carte pricing, I believe that Rogers was going to announce this in December, the latest possible date as mandated by the CRTC. I will not be at all surprised at higher prices for these a la carte channels. The Cable companies do not want this. I believe their pricing will be set to discourage customers from switching. Anything approaching $5 per channel will be a rip-off. Early evidence - just look at how much you are paying for a starter package plus 2 theme packs! If I am correct, you are getting around 35 channels with the Starter package plus another 20 channels with the 2 theme packs while we are getting well over 200 channels for a lower price!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I do not have a bundled plan, which is why Rogers refuses to give me any discount. I pay $34.99 per month for 25/7 VDSL2 with 400 GB of usage, and I pay $38 per month for my unlimited voice and text + 4 GB data cell service. Rogers cannot even come close to matching those. Also, I'm on a landline for my home phone, because I have a fax machine and because I have a home security system, although I'd consider dropping it. But I can't easily bundle it anyway, since it's partially paid for as an expense for my small business.

So, I'm stuck with Rogers cable as an individual service. VIP for me was something like $67 plus tax, and they refused to give me any sort of additional discount unless I signed a TWO-year contract. No thanks, esp. with the Dec. a la carte just about here.

As for the number of outlets, AFAIK VIP includes 4 outlets, but VIP is no longer showing up on their website anyway. And they specifically told me that the Starter Package only included a single outlet, and for one extra outlet I'd have to pay $7.49, so by paying $7.49 extra once I'd get a total of 2 outlets. But now I see on my account that I can have up to three boxes. Although the strange part is that only one of my current two devices is showing up, so there's definitely something wonky with their account system.

If it weren't for my wife I'd just drop Rogers Cable completely at this price point. However, if the prices were lower, even without my wife, I'd strongly consider keeping it. To me it makes little sense to spend $600-$800 a year on cable in 2016, esp. since we don't watch sports, and only do so because my wife wants her Food Network and main broadcast networks. However, I would probably keep it even without my wife's urging if it were half that price.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yikes, the new pick and pay pricing of the channels is totally outrageous. $4 per channel and some of the more popular channels like CNN or Food Network are $7 each. Insane. I'm not sure if this is what the CRTC expected.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yikes, the new pick and pay pricing of the channels is totally outrageous. $4 per channel and some of the more popular channels like CNN or Food Network are $7 each. Insane. I'm not sure if this is what the CRTC expected.
Yes the new a la carte pricing royally sucks. $7 for Food Channel and $7 for Space? What a joke. And the joke's on us.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/pick-and-pay-tv-crtc-1.3875187

Sadly, I think the CRTC was fully expecting this. I say this because they fired a warning shot across the TV companies' bows recently saying they're fully prepared to revisit this next year if the pricing is not reasonable.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If they weren't, then none of them are fit to hold their offices.

I could have, and probably did tell y'all this was going to happen when the regulations were first announced.

81 - 100 of 257 Posts