Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1

Careful. I keep getting mixed messages from Rogers on my "rent to own" boxes. When I first got them 3 years ago they said they were rent to own. Called back several months later and they weren't on rent to own, apparently I have to explicitly ask them to be (they offered it to me in the first place). I suspect when I picked up the boxes in the store they were not added to my account correctly. I was also supposed to get a credit for one "rental fee" so it would be free but I had to call 2 times over the next 2 years to get my discount applied in lump sums because it was too much for their billing system to handle automatically. Now after 3 years I go to the store and they tell me I don't own the boxes but they are still rentals!? So I call Rogers and they tell me the opposite again, and I will own them soon but slightly different dates!!

I can't wait for this to end. Do I have to call and beg to pay the $1 or will they just bill it and stop charging me the monthly fee?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
^^^^
Mine is "free" but it's supposed to be mine after 3 years, which is approaching fast. I'll have to see what happens in August. I suppose Rogers will discover you own it, if it fails after 3 years. ;-)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Unless it changed.. the rent to own, were DIFFERENT prices.
So that may be a key?

If your paying the full regular listed price for rental (weither its free rental covered or not), likely isn't rent to own.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Right, I am paying the lower "rent to own" prices which is a good indication.

The guy in the store did not pick up on this (even though he double checked my account and was certain they were pure rentals) but the seemingly more knowledgable rep on the phone did point this out. Maybe he was trying to be helpful as I mentioned the HDMI port on my NB2 was dying.

It would appear they have different data in the stores for some reason. I don't know why Rogers would have two sets of conflicting data depending on who you talk to!?

·
Registered
495 Posts
This all sounds so typical for Rogers.

I am "paying" $17.50 monthly (shows as $17.50 charge, and then $17.50 credit on the bill). I guess that is that lower rental price.

In every contact with Rogers, after making changes to the account, I was told that I am on "rent to own" and that after 3 years $1 charge will be automatically applied to my account, and the box will be mine. I did get this confirmation in writing (kind of). Basically, I saved the script of the online chat, in which an agent confirmed this.

My 3 year rental will only end in spring next year, so there's still a lot of time. Hopefully everything will go smooth, but you never know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Baseline price for Internet+cable bundle

Rogers says their posted bundle price is for new customers or when new services are added.

What can existing customers expect to pay at the end of a contract period? Lower or higher than the posted price?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
^^^^
When I see a new "deal" I call in to see what they can offer me. This has often resulted in better service, reduced cost or both. For example, I recently had to change cable modems in order to get IPv6. After talking to retentions, I wound up with the new modem and a $50/month decrease in my bill. In the past, I've gotten an excellent price for cell phone and data. It would now cost about twice what I'm paying to get similar service. Also, I got a new Nexus 5 phone, from Rogers, just after they were released. I was able to get that phone for about $100, without any change to my plan or taking a contract. The same phone was about $350 U.S. from Google, IIRC. The only condition was I couldn't get another phone for 2 years, which has since passed. So, if you've been with Rogers for a while, see what you can get.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
TMN Price Increase

Just got a notice that TMN is going up by $3.00/mo in August. Don't know if this is due to a wholesale increase (by Bell,) a Rogers money grab or a combination of both. It works out to about an 18% increase. I expected price increases after Bell bought out Astral but this is price gouging at its worst.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Yes. I recently got $50 knocked off my bill, with the Ignite bundle. I had to change to Ignite, to get a modem that supported IPv6. My service is pretty much unchanged, other than now getting IPv6. I find it's always a good idea to call Rogers to see what they can do for me. As a result, I have a decent Internet, TV and home phone package, along with an excellent price for my smart phone service.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So, they knocked $87.99 down to $37.99?

Are you paying full price for the other services then, i.e. total discount off your bill is $50?

You also have home/smart phone services, while I only have cable+internet and may not have as much bargaining power.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
According to my May bill (the latest I've downloaded):
Internet 60/10 & 200 GB, $58.47
TV VIP & HDTV specialty pack $$69.96
Home phone unlimited Canadian LD and call display $19.90
Cell 200 week day minutes, unlimited evenings (after 6PM) and weekends, My10 list, unlimited texts and 6GB $69.59

All prices include taxes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
According to my May bill (the latest I've downloaded):
Internet 60/10 & 200 GB, $58.47
TV VIP & HDTV specialty pack $$69.96
Home phone unlimited Canadian LD and call display $19.90
Cell 200 week day minutes, unlimited evenings (after 6PM) and weekends, My10 list, unlimited texts and 6GB $69.59

All prices include taxes.
That's including taxes?

Before taxes, I'm currently paying the following for the indicated services:

VIP: $77 (no discount)
Ignite 100: $67 (includes $20 discount)

With tax, something like $162, or about $34 more than what you pay ($128), but of course $12 of that is for Ignite 100 vs Ignite 60, which whittles the difference down to about $22. Ah, but I guess you get a digital terminal included, which is worth $7.50, so the difference is more like $30.

You're still saving $30 more than me, but you have additional services (home phone + wireless), which probably gives you more leverage with Rogers.

I wonder if I can split the difference with them, and get a total of $30 in discounts for VIP+Ignite 100.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
^^^^
Give them a call and ask. Of course, it helps to be a long time customer. When I see a new deal being offered, I give them a call and ask if I can get it. While I may not get the exact same deal, I generally get some improvement. I got my $50 discount, because I wanted a modem that could provide IPv6. Well, that involved getting the Ignite package, so they crunched some numbers and I wound up with the deal I listed. When I got the 6 GB data package, back in 2010, I started with a cell plan from work and then added that data to it. When I got my Nexus 5 phone, I saw Rogers was offering the then new phone. So I called to see what I could get it for. At the time that model was $350 from Google and $450 from Rogers, IIRC. I wound up getting it for $150, with a $50 rebate. On another occasion, when the hard drive died on my 8300HD PVR, they had a package that included the then new NB3, with free rental for 2 years and buy out for $1. I'll have to check my next bill to see if that happens. So, it's just a matter of keeping your eyes open for new deals and then calling to see what you can get.

·
Registered
411 Posts
New Offer From Rogers

We received the following email from Rogers today.

Your current Rogers Internet, TV and Home Phone promotion is coming to an end on --- --, 2016. As a valued customer, we have an exclusive offer for you that's customized to meet your needs. Now is the perfect time to discover new products and bundles we have waiting for you.
Call 1 888 ROGERS1 (764-3771)
to find out about your exclusive offer.​

Has anyone else received a similar email? Of course, we would like to retain our current promotion for another 2 years, but this offer sounds like nothing more than an attempt to up-sell us. Our current packages already meet our needs. Why should Rogers think they know what our needs are? So.......has anyone else received this email and called Rogers? What kind of exclusive deals were they offering?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Interesting..
Guessing people only X many months away may get an email like that.

Question then comes down to.. if that its a full 'upsale' type call.

Or it actually is them being 'pro active' in trying to offer a new bundle price?

Now.. with new bundle pricing, etc.. May be cheaper than 'list' website pricing..
But isnt always as GOOD as the previous promo pricing. (My last 3 have goone from GOOD, to less than before, then back up to about the same as the first)
And sometimes 'upsale' is part of it..
My last time.. went from the 60mbps to 100mbps internet. So really was an upsale, per say. BUT, that it overall with the promo pricing, was $20 less than what i was paying before..

·
Super Moderator
56,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
DTA-50 now has a rental fee for new customers and new additional adapters.

Digital Adapters will continue to be free for existing customers who have them and also if you need to swap one out. However, if you wish to obtain an additional digital adapter or if you are a new customer who wants a digital adapter, Rogers are now charging $3.99/mo. Of course, as with most things with Rogers, the overall package you pay is usually negotiable to some extent depending on what services and devices you have.

Solved: Re: Digital Adapter ordering - Page 3 - Rogers Community

·
Registered
350 Posts
New cable packages: Select/Popular/Premier

Typical. I phoned Rogers to ask about my discount which is expiring in Sep. The CSR told me that new packages are coming out in September which would be the new *baseline* for deals. Guess he didn't know that the new packages are already advertised on the Rogers site. No more VIP or Plus, but existing customers will be grandfathered.

Looks like none of the new packages include a box, but all include 4 outlets.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I started off looking at the 'popular' one.. looked like it was pretty on par with VIP for the first few pages..

Then started dropping off a bunch, only on the premier :(

Overall, most people would be better trying to get overall total % discounts on what they existing have.. possibly than switching to the new promos on the new plans.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Overall, most people would be better trying to get overall total % discounts on what they existing have.. possibly than switching to the new promos on the new plans.
I suggest listing the services you have and note the price you are paying and any associated discount. For example, I pay $87 - less $20 discount - for Ignite 100, plus $77 - no discount - for VIP. My discount period ends next month, so I'm looking to continue my Ignite 100 discount plus get some reduction in my VIP rate.

61 - 80 of 257 Posts