Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, as I stated above, pick and pay must be offered by December, as mandated by the CRTC. How much do you want to bet that the cost of individual channels will be so prohibitively priced as to once again discourage consumers from switching? The bottom line is that Rogers (and Bell) are both ripping off consumers and thumbing their noses at the CRTC. This article backs up what I said a couple of days ago.

$25 'skinny' TV packages called a 'ripoff' as industry 'stares down' CRTC - Business - CBC News

Here is another one:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/new-25-basic-tv-package-a-deal-many-consumers-simply-won-t-want-1.3469824

·
Registered
528 Posts
I must be one of the few who could take advantage of the starter package. Before I cancelled my Rogers TV because of Navigatr, my Digital VIP was around $80 less a discount for my ongoing problems with the Nextbox 3.

With that I recorded from 25 channels which I had set up in my favourites, although some channels had only 1 show or the occasional movie that were recorded.

I can get those 25 channels with the starter package plus one $10 theme pack and one $5 theme pack, bringing the total to $40. Of course I give up TSN, which I only used for F1 races and the Grey Cup so that is not worth $18/month to me.

The annoying part is that I can get most of the starter pack channels with an indoor antenna because I am just across the bay from the CN Tower. All I get extra with the starter is NBC and CBS, and I only recorded The Tonight Show from NBC.

So I can cut my cost in half, but I would still be stuck with Navigatr, which is more of a pain than it is worth to me. Since it may take the rest of this year to fix Navigatr, true pick and pay may be available before Navigatr is working properly.
But why take the starter and add those theme packs for $40 instead of just taking the current Basic TV for $40.48? Basic already has way more channels in it. Unless you are content with the starter package alone, I see no reason in taking it and adding the ridiculously overpriced themes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Exactly! The only reason I can think of is that the 2 theme packs for $15 include channels that are not included with Basic TV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But why take the starter and add those theme packs for $40 instead of just taking the current Basic TV for $40.48? Basic already has way more channels in it. Unless you are content with the starter package alone, I see no reason in taking it and adding the ridiculously overpriced themes.
I think most of you are missing the point: Basic at $40.48 has more channels, but does it have the channels I want?

Take my case: I am interested in CNN, Showcase and Disney Jr for the kids. The only way to get all those channels used to be the VIP package at about $80/mo.

But now I can get Starter ($25) + 3 theme packs ($10 + $5 + $5) for a total of $45/mo. I also get a few extra channels included in those packages. Which one do you think provides more value?

I think their packages are reasonably priced, except for sports. Still, if you just want TSN, Starter + TSN = $43, cheaper than the $66 you need for the "Plus" package.

·
Registered
185 Posts
@kibosh, @Hooter
@amc1970 gets it. The Basic package sounds like it has lots of channels, but they include:

7 CBC
5 CITY
6 CTV
3 Global
5 Sportsnet

plus it includes

29 local radio stations
60 Stingray music

But it doesn't include:

AMC
FX
FXX
Space
Comedy
Bravo
Showcase

Starter plus these channels give me the 20 channels that I actually would watch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One more thing: a CSR told me I cannot add multicultural channels to the "Starter" package; I would need at least the Basic package to do it.

Not a big deal for me, but I wonder if that would make the Starter a non-starter (pardon the pun) for a large segment of subscribers...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Not true, at least here in Toronto. Friend of mine just switched to Starter package and was able to keep multicultural channels.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oddly enough, basic includes more than what is listed on the website. For example, I get AMC HD but not in SD . . . I will have to check some of those other channels you mentioned but I am pretty sure it also includes Showcase if not all of them. Unfortunately since this is not advertised you would never know unless you had it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
@kibosh

That would be typical Rogers. I went through the package comparison PDF to find what is on Basic. If they don't list all the channels that are actually on Basic, then that would force you to choose a more expensive package if you wanted certain channels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oddly enough, basic includes more than what is listed on the website. For example, I get AMC HD but not in SD . . . I will have to check some of those other channels you mentioned but I am pretty sure it also includes Showcase if not all of them. Unfortunately since this is not advertised you would never know unless you had it.
Basic includes AMC HD? Are you sure? This is the first I've heard of this. Perhaps you have it on free preview. AMC is considered a premium channel by almost all providers, including Bell and Shaw Direct.

I went to the Rogers store and the employee there gave me a 5-page printout of all channels included in Basic (it's a long alphabetical listing of hundreds of channels including music and radio stations). AMC and Showcase were not listed.

What bothers me, though, is that the channel listing (at the store or on their website), is Toronto-centric and they have no way of telling me which channels are exclusive to my region. CP24, last I recall, was not available in Ottawa. Also the French sports network, RDS used to be included in the Basic package in Ottawa, but not in Toronto.

On their website they have a very clear grid showing which package you need for each channel (again, assuming Toronto):

http://roge.rs/1rhpPpc

Type the channel name on the search box and it lists the package options to get it. It does not list any of the starter packages, however.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Steve Paikin just did a show on Skinny Basic and the pick and pay cable channel option on March 9 on his show The Agenda with Steve Paikin on TVO.

I don't see the episode on the TVO website yet, but if you want to watch it online it may show up March 10 or 11th here: Agenda Videos | TVo_Org

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, I have been getting AMC HD since November when I came back to Rogers, I record The Walking Dead every week (not sure if it's free preview, but if so, its been a looong time). I just checked and I do NOT get any of the other channels mentioned above.

My problem with the pricing and packaging is that it is not in the "spirit" with what the CRTC intended (both flexibility and affordability). Frankly, I think you are quite lucky that the channels you are interested in happen to fall into only 1 or 2 theme packages but I highly doubt this is the case for most or the average person.

If you look at the top 5 speciality channels in Canada they are TSN, Sportsnet, Discovery, History, and Space. You would have to purchase:

Starter $24.99
TSN $18
Sportsnet $18
Science & History $10
Drama & Comedy $10

For a grand total of 80.99!! This is for the networks (Canada and US) and only 5 other channels that most people watch.

If you want to live on the edge and add the next 5 most popular channels W, HGTV, YTV, Showcase, and Food then you have to add:

Lifestyle $10
Variety $10
Tween $10
Entertainment $5

This would be for a total of $115.99 . . . wow.

That doesn't even include a channel like CP24 which is on every food court and doctors office TV in the GTA.

I was hoping that I would be able to move from basic to starter and add a few channels that I want. I don't need a lot, but the way the channels are grouped and priced it is completely punitive and really forces the average person to stay within the current pricing scheme.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I waited for skinny basic to assess whether to dump my bundled package. Upon looking at the options I signed up for a 2 year deal.....Ill wait till December 2016 before I relook at possible changes to TV when true pick and pay comes. Its important to remember that the 2 year tie-in only applies to internet.

Heres what I got:

100/10 unlimited internet
shomi included
modem rental included
tech expert included

Home phone
unlimited canada wide calling
3-6 features

VIP + TMN tv
(I own 3 boxes)
Nextbox 3.0 rent to own included (monthly fees waived)

about $172.00 all in

Seems reasonable, the discussions went well. A technician came out to ensure everything works.
I am able to add or delete or change my TV package unrestricted in the future.
If I go to extra plus...ill lose some kiddie channels (my kids are getting older anyhow) but I can keep TMN.
My monthly bill will become about: $153.00 all in.

I hope this info is helpful and it should be available to any existing Rogers bundled customers.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yes, I tried to get skinny basic plus 2 news packs, and it ended more then what I am currently paying for, and the reasons is that once I go to skinny basic, I loose all the discounts. So, I ended up with VIP, 60dn/10up/200GB internet and homephone. This package is for 2 years, and includes 1 Netbox3, Hitron modem, shomi, techexpert, free long distance for Canada and US and 6 call features. I lost unlimited internet but can add it back for $10. $150 all in.

·
Registered
411 Posts
So once again Rogers sticks it to the consumer (and apparently the CRTC as well).

New CRTC $25 basic TV package spells end of cheaper Rogers cable deal - Business - CBC News

The article states the following:

On the March 1 deadline, Rogers unveiled its $24.99 Starter pack which replaced the Digital Lite deal.

The channel lineups for the two basic TV plans are similar: both include mandatory Canadian channels plus major U.S. networks.

But there's one big difference — price. Before taxes, the new Starter package costs, at minimum, $30.48 a month once you factor in a standard definition TV box rental. A high definition box costs more.

The pre-tax price for the now retired Digital Lite deal was $16.99 a month. The SD box was included for free.

So far, Rogers is letting Putman keep his now-defunct deal. But if he signed up today for basic cable, he'd have to shell out $13.49 more a month for the Starter pack.

In other words, since the new CRTC rules took effect, Rogers customers have to pay more for basic TV.

"Removing it is Rogers sticking it to the CRTC," a Rogers employee who asked to remain anonymous told CBC News.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure where to post this, but I guess I'll put it here.

From experience, Richmond Hill, Markham and Scarborough have the same channel line up. What I want to know is what does Basic Cable include as of date? I checked the Rogers website and it appears to be out of date. Specifically, Channel 36 (Fairchild) is now included with Basic, but says otherwise on the Rogers website. Secondly, fairchild 2 HD appears to be included in the basic channel line up, or is this just an error on my account + 3 other friends who also have basic

My parents have been paying the extra $5 a month for fairchild 2, but if it's included, I want to pursue rogers for a refund.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sometime early next year I will be eligible to buy my NextBox 3 for $1, as a part of "rent to own" option (3-year rental).

Since my current bundle includes a free box, I wonder if I will end up having 2 boxes, one that would be mine, and the other one as a part of my TV package.

Probably just wishful thinking :grin. Has any of you been in this position already?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I wonder that too.

I have two of the HD boxes on rent to own.. but 1 of them is 'paid for' by promotion.

My guess.. is that you could BUY the box for $1 to own.
Then with the promotion, get another's cost covered, for the end of the promotion?

41 - 60 of 257 Posts