Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
I like the $0 "Shopping Channel" package Rogers has...guess nobody wants to pay for them, and they have to ask to get them - why not include them for free with the basic package?...
Skinny basic can only include the specialty channels that are on the CRTC mandatory list. Those shopping channels are actually advertising channels and are probably free to Rogers. I've heard rumours that TSC actually pays cable companies for channel placement.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Which shows you that $25 per month for skinny basic isn't such a great deal. I wonder if they will scrap that package in favour of charging more for a skinny basic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm considering returning to Rogers after cutting the cord 5 years ago - I moved and my new neighbourhood has very poor OTA reception... So I was eagerly waiting details on the new "skinny basic"...

Now I am perplexed - Rogers has had a "Lite TV" option all these years that includes Canadian networks, US 4+1 and a few specialty channels, but due to the CRTC requirements they now have a skinny basic that offers less but costs more? What am I missing here? Does anyone have a list of the "Lite TV" channels?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My guess is LITE will be GONE as of the first.. :(

People would still be able to grandfather it.. but may not be able to be added anymore.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frankly this pricing is ridiculous. Its like they are slapping the CRTC (and us) in the face. $24.99 for Starter and then $18 to add sportsnet?!?! That is already more than what I pay for Basic TV ($40.48) with far less channels. You don't even get CP24 . . . whats the point?!?!?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was actually adding everything up last night if we were to switch to the 'skinny' packs, it would cost an extra $20 a month to get the packages with the channels we actually watch and of course we would still be paying for a bunch of channels we don't. The way I figure it is that you block the channels you don't watch and create your own skinny package, chances are your paying less with more channels you DON'T watch .. good old Rogers land.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Now I am perplexed - Rogers has had a "Lite TV" option all these years that includes Canadian networks, US 4+1 and a few specialty channels, but due to the CRTC requirements they now have a skinny basic that offers less but costs more? What am I missing here? Does anyone have a list of the "Lite TV" channels?
I don't know when Rogers first offered it, but I have had the Rogers Lite TV package since Nov 2, 2013.

I can't find a complete list of the Lite TV channels posted online. See the link posted earlier in this thread for a rough summary of the channels.

The Lite TV package has been adequate for me and I agree that it will likely no longer be available from Rogers starting March 1.

To date, Rogers has not advised me as to the status of my Lite TV subscription, only that it is going up by $1/month with my next billing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rogers New TV Packaging Options

Here are the new packaging options from Rogers, in advance of the March 1st CRTC deadline requiring cable and satellite providers to offer a skinny basic package:

http://redboard.rogers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Starter-Packages-Feb-24-2016.pdf

Rogers' skinny basic package is called Starter Package, which is $24.99 per month AND includes US locals. The link also includes their new theme pack options.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own 5 digital boxes, how much is the fee if I opt for the new "basic" or "plus" package?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I like how the TSN package includes Euroworld Sports. There hasn't been anything on that channel for about three years. And I don't mean anything "good", I mean "anything at all." Well, the same documentary they've been showing for three years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
these theme packs are expensive! might as well stick with the digital plus package, because it's a whole lot cheaper...holy smoke

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I might go for the skinny package plus Canadian News and US News packs for a total of $40. I do watch sports sometimes, but they are broadcaster in the regular channels. I have iTunes and Netflix, so no need for movie channels. The only one my wife will miss is the Food channel, but she does not watch often. I am now on VIP plus some news pack, so I may be saving about $30 a month which is significant. I'll call them comes March 1 and see what the actual price is going to be, with my bundled internat and home phone.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
For those in Ottawa vs Toronto, those that choose League Sports $10 get one less channel Leafs TV yet still have to pay $10?

The providers made these packages expensive on purpose so yu won't switch to them Once P&P comes it'll even be worst.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow...was looking at the skinny package for my Mom's place. She'd be better off moving to OTA like me. More channels!

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is not a chance that Rogers would have made this a good deal for consumers. Rogers did not want this; it was mandated by the CRTC. Rogers waited until the very last minute to even announce what the new "skinny" plans would even include. They are providing the very minimum right now, only what has been mandated so far. The pick and pay individual channels will not even be offered until December 2016, again as mandated by the CRTC. To answer wysiwyg, the new add-on packs are only available to customers on the new "Starter" package.

What is so laughable right now is that Rogers has advertised the new "Starter" package as follows: "With Starter and Theme Packs you get the channels you want." How the heck can you get the channels you want when you are forced once again to select a theme pack of which there are 29 available? How the heck do you need 29 theme packs? How many theme packs would you have to select to get the 4,5,6 or whatever number of channels you really want. While this may improve next December, I would not hold my breathe. Of course, I would not hold my breather waiting for Rogers to do anything (witness Navigatr).

Here is a comparison of the current and new packages. If you order the "Starter" along with "Something for Everyone", the cost is $82.99 per month and you get 165 channels. VIP is $79.99 per month with 372 channels included, while Extra Plus is $79.99 per month with 312 channels included. Other comparisons are available here. None of the new offerings compare favourably with the old.

Even looking at the most stripped down versions, Rogers once again misleads. The "Starter" package is advertised at $24.99 per month and "includes up to 88 channels." Yet, when you click on the "see channels included" link, it shows only 35 channels. Where are the other 53 channels? At the same time basic cable includes 225 channels and the cost is $40.48 per month. Hmmmmm!

The bottom line is that once again, Rogers has made a farce of something; much like they make a farce of virtually everything they do. The intent of the CRTC mandate was to give consumers more choice and more affordability. Rogers, on the other hand, has not even begun to comply with what the CRTC really intended. Why anyone would fall for this completely boggles my mind!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I must be one of the few who could take advantage of the starter package. Before I cancelled my Rogers TV because of Navigatr, my Digital VIP was around $80 less a discount for my ongoing problems with the Nextbox 3.

With that I recorded from 25 channels which I had set up in my favourites, although some channels had only 1 show or the occasional movie that were recorded.

I can get those 25 channels with the starter package plus one $10 theme pack and one $5 theme pack, bringing the total to $40. Of course I give up TSN, which I only used for F1 races and the Grey Cup so that is not worth $18/month to me.

The annoying part is that I can get most of the starter pack channels with an indoor antenna because I am just across the bay from the CN Tower. All I get extra with the starter is NBC and CBS, and I only recorded The Tonight Show from NBC.

So I can cut my cost in half, but I would still be stuck with Navigatr, which is more of a pain than it is worth to me. Since it may take the rest of this year to fix Navigatr, true pick and pay may be available before Navigatr is working properly.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hi geode: I might be switching. Did you have to pay anything else on top of the $40 such as digital fee, additional tv outlet? Do you get combo discount with your internet or phone?

·
Registered
185 Posts
@e268

I haven't bought back into Rogers TV yet. I cancelled it back in October because I couldn't deal with Navigatr any longer. I was intending to switch to Fibe TV, but we have been getting by quite well with recording from antenna, Netflix, Shomi and web site streaming.

I keep an eye on the Navigatr progress and the skinny basic in case I want to go back, but not with the current state of things.

21 - 40 of 257 Posts