Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I'm not interested in Internet from Rogers, only TV. Can't really find any pricing that doesn't bundle.

I wouldn't touch Rogers Internet with a barge pole, even if it was affordable - which it isn't. The number of problems that I have with their website, compared to anyone else's, makes it pretty clear that they don't do Internet well.

·
Super Moderator
56,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I'm not interested in Internet from Rogers, only TV. Can't really find any pricing that doesn't bundle.
That's because IgniteTV is not available without the bundle of Internet and Home Phone. You need to look at Digital Cable, which is on their website. I also never have issues with Rogers Internet, consistently getting more than I pay for. The only people who may not get full download speeds are people on the Gigabit package. Everyone else gets what they pay for because, in order to deliver Gibabit Internet, Rogers can easily cover the lower tier package.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
^^^^
????

The web site and Internet are two entirely unrelated things. For Internet, I look at things like bandwidth and reliability. I find the service is rock solid.
Sure, but if they haven't got the skill set to make a web site that isn't down a lot of the time, why would I trust them for more complex stuff?

Another factor is just how frequently there's a "Rogers is down" thread on the local Facebook page, or my neighbours saying they can't access the Internet again because Rogers isn't working. I never really encounter this with other providers, unless I can see the tree lying on top of the phone line or something!

Either way, I'm quite happy with my $35 (coincidentally also $35!) 6 Mb/s ADSL package - it's good enough to watch Netflix in HD. Perhaps I'll upgrade to a $45 10 Mb/s or $60 25 Mb/s package one day if I need a bit more pipeline.

Currently though, I have cable plus Internet from separate providers for $70. I'm not sure why combining them through Rogers is more expensive, not cheaper - for a service my neighbours keep complaining about. (TV normally stays up when their Internet is down - but I've lost it a couple of times too in the last year).

That's because IgniteTV is not available without the bundle of Internet and Home Phone. You need to look at Digital Cable, which is on their website.
I've got digital cable, but Rogers has started making some channels only available on Ignite, rather than on Digital Cable. Now that their website is working, I can confirm I've got the Select Speciality package for $35 a month ($50 with a $15 discount - to which I added Space for $7 - which will disappear soon now that Star Trek has finished until 2020.

The jump from $70 for all the Internet/Cable I need to ??? for Ignite to get GameTV in HD (for example) seems bad marketing! I'm not sure why they only sell some of the channels to those that need both Internet and Home phone. Gosh, I didn't think a lot of people even had a home phone any more - I hadn't realised that was also part of their "package".

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
^^^^
As I said, my service is rock solid. I also get better bandwidth than I pay for.

I also find Rogers internet is totally solid and it currently is consistently providing twice the speed that my package states.
I'm on Ignite 75, but am pushing 100 Mb download.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
^^^^
As I said, my service is rock solid. I also get better bandwidth than I pay for.

I'm on Ignite 75, but am pushing 100 Mb download.
That's certainly not what I hear in my neighbourhood - in terms of stability. I'm not sure what you do with 75 Mb/s download, let alone 100. With 6 Mb/s, I have no problems watching Netflix or Prime in HD. If one of the kids is streaming something, it starts to suffer a bit, and maybe I'll increase to 10 Mb/s one day.

I pondered if a better connection would help my work connection - but I've chatted with co-workers who have 1 GB/s through Bell, and they have all the same problems with my work network that I have ... so it's not a speed issue.

What is the Ignite pricing like, with typical discounts? Trying to get a straight answer out of Rogers seem impossible ... obviously 3-digits for home phone/cable/Internet is not happening.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Rogers offers 75mbps internet plus basic TV for $95/mo. 75mbps internet is the slowest they offer. In my opinion, that's not especially good value but close to best market prices for that package. You can do better with a TPIA but not by much when hardware rental prices are included. Teksavvy and Start also offer basic IPTV.

6Mbps internet for $35/mo is not good value either. A faster connection, such as 30mBps unlimited for about $50/mo, will provide better response times for web sites and work connections plus faster downloads and better video streaming. Basic TV can be added to Teksavvy and Start internet for $20 but their TV services are not as mature as Rogers Ignite. Neither of those prices include hardware which must be rented or purchased. In the long run, purchasing is usually the cheaper option.

The big issue is reliability. If there is a cable internet reliability issue that is not being resolved, that is a reason for not switching. TPIAs will have similar issues since they use Rogers infrastructure and resolving it will be more tedious. With the information provided, it's not certain that it's a Rogers internet issue or something else such as poor wifi coverage. I've had technical issues with Rogers internet but they were resolved after they were reported. I get better than promised speeds at all times.

While we are on the issue of value, paying $7/mo for Space is not good either. Crave offers STD and lots more (like all the Star Trek series) for $10/mo. It can be subscribed a month at a time and past episodes watched on demand.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I left Rogers for Bell a year ago and unless there is a price change from Bell (which I'm no putting past them but as of now nothing has happened) I'm going to stick it out.

Ignite has been too expensive and in my area I have not had a single Bell outage in the almost 9 months since I switched while I know of multiple Rogers outages over that time. I am also very happy with the Fibe TV product. I've tried the Ignite and it seems quite clunky compared to Bell including having bars come up waiting for channels to load on Ignite. It looks like the AnyplaceTV on a big screen at least when I tested it. Also, since the patent suit hasn't been solved you can't remotely setup recordings which is a feature I use regularly (as I feel a lot of people do). I find the customer service at Rogers is better but the product at least from my limited sampling isn't quite par to Fibe yet.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Rogers Ignite services have been reduced in price over the last year.

Dependability depends on the area. Outside of the GTA, Rogers and Bell can both have technical issues. I always found that Bell DSL internet was more reliable but there are lots of horror stories from customers in some areas. Bell has not upgraded a lot of areas so Fibe internet and TV are not available. Bell often does not deliver the speeds they promise and it can take years for the issues to be fixed. When Rogers says they offer a certain internet speed it is almost always available. Rogers is also a much better company to deal with.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
While we are on the issue of value, paying $7/mo for Space is not good either. Crave offers STD and lots more (like all the Star Trek series) for $10/mo. It can be subscribed a month at a time and past episodes watched on demand.
Very true - I got it originally for The Last Ship and Doctor Who ... which I didn't see a better way of getting new episodes.

I have Crave already ... only $8.32 a month with the annual subscription (of $99.90) - I think I paid less than that, but that's what the renewal is currently listed at on my account. All the classic Trek is on Netflix too - though there's subtle differences - for example the TOS episodes are high-definition 4:3 on Netflix but 16:9 on Crave.

However, Crave is the only major service I use that's not available on my very stable Roku, and I have to use a relatively flakey Amazon Fire Stick for ... and it was just simpler to PVR ST:D on Space rather than deal with the Fire Stick - LOL! (the Fire Stick issues, other than being a relatively slow, poor, interface ... seems to be a fatal design flaw involving overheating. Generally if the stick is touching anything, and not suspended in mid-air, it overheats after about 30 minutes ... and you have to wait 5 minutes to cool down ... I see reports on the web, about people drilling holes in the casing to increase air circulation ...)

Probably better price points for my DSL as well - but if I can already watch everything I stream in HD, then it's hard to justify paying more for little benefit (our corporate network is it's own bottleneck that more bandwidth won't overcome).

·
Registered
495 Posts
...the Fire Stick issues, other than being a relatively slow, poor, interface ... seems to be a fatal design flaw involving overheating. Generally if the stick is touching anything, and not suspended in mid-air, it overheats after about 30 minutes ... and you have to wait 5 minutes to cool down ... I see reports on the web, about people drilling holes in the casing to increase air circulation ...
This probably does not belong here, but since you mentioned it, I thought it might be useful to share my experience with Fire Stick. Ever since I got it, it has been absolutely fantastic. No overheating, very fast and reliable. Maybe, you've got a lemon; maybe I've got one from a good batch, I don't know, but it has been great so far.

And as for Rogers packages pricing, I had to downgrade a bit to keep the same price. I used to have Ignite 150 and Popular TV, now I'm down to Ignite 75 and Popular TV. The price is about the same as it used to be. Keeping Ignite 150 would have cost me considerably higher, based on the offers I was given. That didn't make much sense to me, so I went with slightly slower speed, and so far it is more than enough.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I was on internet 35 with digital TV for years. Upgraded to internet 75mbps/200GB just over a year ago (for about the same price) and noticed a big difference in web site response times. That might have been partly due to a better modem. They wanted only $5 to go from Internet 75 to internet 150/unlimited when I renewed this year so I took that. There wasn't much difference in response apart from reduced download times for larger files. Not needing to monitor usage when doing a lot of streaming is worth the extra $5.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would have kept my 150 mbps, unlimited, but they wanted almost $30 more, compared to what I have now (75 mbps, unlimited and Popular TV). Performance wise, I do not see any significant difference between 75 and 150. Yes, 150 is twice as fast, but in real life, it doesn't mean much (for me anyway).

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
On Rogers web site, the current difference in price is listed as just $15. Actual cost may be less than that if an offer is available. Gigabit unlimited internet is $35 more than 75Mbps now. Not long ago it was about $75 more. Price points for internet have changed significantly in the past year. It looks like Rogers is matching TPIA prices.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you look only into the price difference between internet packages, it is one thing...it is unfortunately a completely different thing when it comes to Internet + Cable TV bundles. They just wouldn't give me 150 in that bundle (with Popular TV), unless I paid another $30-ish (it could have been a bit less, I forgot...but still way too much). I could try renegotiating the deal, but for now I'm happy with 75 mbps.

201 - 220 of 257 Posts