Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to discuss programming, packages and equipment pricing available from Rogers Ontario in 2015.

This is the thread in which to post if you are investigating changing your programming on Rogers or investigating what is available on Rogers in terms of programming or hardware.

Here's the thread from last year:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=196857

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know? Rogers tells me that 20% discount is the highest they can offer me.
Asked about 5 retentions reps.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Depends on the product line and how many products you have but 20-25% seems to be the max in most cases. If you have multiple products you maybe able to squeeze 50% off one product but the rest will be at full price. The best discounts are through the winback department now. This involves actually cancelling your service and waiting for Rogers to call you with an offer.

In fact my most recent experience, the rep offered absolutely NO discount whatsoever, simply just offered the bundle bonuses that anyone could get and when that failed he just cancelled my account. Got a call back from winback the next day and got 30% off my TV and 50% off my internet and the 200GB internet usage bonus.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I just ended a 60% off TV only.. and was able to secure a 40% on TV only.
Like yyzlhr said.. on one product only.. not across everything.

(though the TV portion here is the larger $ value, and ends up being more vs say 15-20% off of the whole thing)

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Interesting to hear all this, as my renewal comes up shortly.

I'd been on 30% off for a few years, which was about $32 or so in savings ... last year, the best they'd give me was $20 off (odd that everyone else is getting %). Given that I'd just dropped the HDTV pack (no longer necessary once TSN HD and TSN2 HD were either on free preview on in the VIP package), it was about the same, so I mistakenly didn't push any harder.

A month later, they pushed the VIP price up $2, and I realized the mistake I'd made, not simply insisting on 20%. As they refused to renegotiate, I cancelled an $18 channel (which had only costed $12.60 with 30% off) in retaliation, that I decided to do without (programming had been going downhill). I'm not not sure how Rogers came out ahead here ...

Now with prices going up another $2 (hmm, less than 12 months since last time - no wonder my Rogers stock does so well) the $20 discount gives me about 25% off (24% after the increase).

So at a minimum, I should ask for the $20 to continue, but I should push for 30% off, in case I add services in the future.

Though I increasingly think there is little in the VIP package I need that isn't in basic cable, other than TSN HD and TSN2 - and it's a couple of months before any sports I'm interested in are back on - so perhaps if they won't play ball, I'll simply cancel VIP and revert to basic digital cable. Hmm, but now there's Digital Plus? And Extra Sports?

Sigh, I wish there was a clear table somewhere that shows what was in each package.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Rogers website tells you which channels are included in each in market package. There are some very minor regional differences that are not reflected on the website but the website will simply omit those channels from the list and there are only a very small number of channels affected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. Is it true that the 30 day to cancel all services will be no more after January 23?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
The Rogers website tells you which channels are included in each in market package. There are some very minor regional differences that are not reflected on the website but the website will simply omit those channels from the list and there are only a very small number of channels affected.
Ah, the channels tab. That's a step forward. Hmm, rather annoying though ... loads only a few channels at a time. Several clicks in, and I'm still in the letter A!

Still, it works after a fashoion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rogers Digital Lite TV

This might be a re-post but I was wondering why Rogers Digital Lite TV is not advertised on their site and why its channel line-up is not available anywhere online!

As I rarely watch TV, I decided to switch to Digital Lite from Digital Basic and save $25 + tax per month.

I can confirm that I receive about 40 different Canadian and US public networks. Some in HD and some in SD(I own my HD PVR).

My question is:

1- Why is there no detailed info about Digital Lite TV package and why is it not advertised?

2- Why can't I receive National Network(CBC) Ch23, neither in SD nor in HD? Isn't it a public network? I do get CBC News(Ch6) but not "The National".

Any idea?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Digital Lite is not advertised because it's a low ARPU product that Rogers doesn't want to promote. Reps are only supposed to offer it if a customer asks for it specifically, or as a last ditch attempt to prevent a potential sale from walking or to prevent a customer from cancelling. Also there are variations in the channel lineup depending on the area. Customer care can read out a list of channels if you call them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rogers wants you on the most expensive plan they can get you on - for whatever services they provide and that you subscribe to. Why promote lower cost alternatives if they can convince you to subscribe to something more expensive! Of course, we all know that! LOL!

·
Registered
350 Posts
What's latest/best deal on cable/internet/phone?

I'm currently paying $190/mo. for Rogers VIP cable, the 350Gb cap internet tier plus traditional phone with another company.

Thinking of going with Rogers if I can get all 3 for at least $50 less than what I'm paying now.

A friend of mine just got a bundle (basic cable, but with PVR) for ~$90/month, so he tells me.

What kind of deal are others getting?

·
Registered
314 Posts
New Customer Deal

There is good pricing for customers NEW to Rogers, unavailable to current customers.

Same story for Bell. Sad but true.

Both telcos apparently value new customers over loyal customers.

My Rogers deal for switching 3 services from Bell to Rogers:

- Homephone w/ 2 choices, Cdn LD
- VIP TV, TMN, one Nextbox 3.0
- Internet Hybrid Fibre 60, 320gb bandwidth
- Free installation
- $100 credit

Total $131/monthly for 12 months including all tax etc.

Rate is guaranteed for one year (insulated from January & subsequent price increases).

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.