Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard this on the wires, so decided to check it out while talking to a CSR about other matters. Seems to vary by region, here's what he told me;

- Ontario: 35GB overage "protection"
- Atlantic provs: 20GB overage "protection"

Fee seems to be $5, which puts it on par w/ the Blue team in this insane duopoly.

My Extreme95 contract is up Nov 5th, so the CSR was trying to get me off that plan, offering to downgrade me to Extreme80 + usage assurance + free SMC gateway (yuk) for 12mo @ $64.99 - 30% = $45.49+tax for 15/1/115GB service. SMC = $7/mo after the first year.

I'll think I'll pass, with Acanac launching unlimited cable this week (10/.512=$36/mo, 15/1=$40/mo) and Teksavvy committing to have cable in my area by the end of November. It looks like my options are improving :), so me thinks it's time to go shopping for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The problem is that Bell and Rogers still own and control 90% of the infrastructure in areas they serve. The CRTC set a precedent last week in ruling that Bell can back charge ISPs for user data limits Bell sets. They previously ruled that Bell can also limit and throttle speed to end users. I expect that approval for Rogers to do the same would be little more than a rubber stamp approval. The duopoly isn't circumvented, just temporarily sidetracked. I'm waiting for an announcement from Teksavvy about what they are going to do next. My guess is that they will start to build their own network to Bell's COs so that can avoid throttling and data caps. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Agreed, but I happen to live in an area underserved by DSL. Tried to switch to Teksavvy a year ago, but they estimated best case I'd get 3/.8 data rates, which is a deal killer for me.

With no other viable options, I took a retention deal on Rogers (figuring I'd wait to see how UBB played out). One year later I'm seeing better priced options in the cable space, and since I'm unwilling to downgrade to DSL, it makes sense to grab an approved D3 modem and cut the rental fees.

When the "assurance" plan was launched last week, I heard 20GB, and I'm wondering if the bump to 35GB is related to Acanac joining the fray and/or the Bell announcement on doubling the maximum overage charge.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Whatever brings them more free money. They have to constantly make more and more money and there's no better way. Innovating costs too much in comparison.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Innovating costs too much in comparison.
Bell and Rogers are "innovating" all the time. The problem is that they are financing the upgrades for new services by overcharging existing customers. Why should I pay Bell or Rogers an extra $20-$60/mo to watch Netflix so that they can roll out IPTV to other customers?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I guess that's the trick with these big cable companies. They lower the bit caps of all their popular packages back in the summer and now they are selling these "assurance" plans. A great way for them to get another $5-10 out of you a month regardless if you actually hit your limit.

I'm sure they had consultants figure out how to maximize the amount of users that will hit their data caps. As people adjust to the new caps, they will lower them again and try to push these "assurance" plans even more.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
funny how they used to give us unlimited, then they cap us only to sell us back a higher cap.. At the end of the day we get way less for way more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Banned
83 Posts
I would have no problem paying for the assurance plan if they stopped the throttling. Let me use my connection the way I want. Just downloading linux was a pain on rogers becasue of the throtling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It seems that Rogers will concoct anyway they can to squeeze as much as they can out of customers. I read this article (http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/11/24/rogers-to-release-a-new-premium-data-priority-service/) which seems to be a new low.

Let's see, I sign up for Rogers Internet back a couple of years, then they degrade my service but I have to pay the same monthly fee. Now, if I want to have the service I had a couple of years ago (pre-throttling days), I have to pay this "Data Priority Service" fee. Sounds like extortion to me.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think a MOD needs to take wbarbour's post and spin it to a new thread, because that can be a big topic of conversation that isn't appropriate for this thread..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Assurance plans

Does anyone have any further information on these usage assurance plans? Is it just in certain regions, as I live in Kitchener Ontario (Rogers Grand River), is it available in my area? How much for add data on one's internet plan? I called Rogers today and the customer service rep has never heard of it. Is there a reference for this plan that I could give to the CSR so they can find it in their database?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Call Rogers and select the phone menu options to cancel your internet service - you will get someone from customer retentions and they will know about the UA add-ons.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That Rogers didn't offer usage insurrance plans is the very reason I switched over to Bell. Took them long enough to get the hint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
UA Plan

Called Rogers this afternoon, had to go through a couple of people before I got to Customer Relations who could access all the services in my account. With only 5 mins on hold, my Express plan of 60G had 20G of internet data added for $5/month. I asked if there were any other options besides the 20G, I was told the 20G upgraded my Express package to the next level (extreme) of 80G. I assume other options exist for other plans. Anyway, painless and completed, the extra 20G were added immediately.
Thanks to the members of this forum for their information on UA plans.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With no documentation and regular CSR's clueless, it's hard to pin this down.

I just got off the phone w/ a retentions CSR who indicated the (supporting Gas_Man's experience) the UA plan for Ontario is now indeed 20GB, not 35GB as was originally the case.

Furthermore, it's not apparently a one-time deal, but a monthly recurring option.

I'm currently on Extreme95 and just tried to buy a one-time UA option, but 'the system' wouldn't allow the CSR to add it to my account unless I take their crappy D3 modem/router box. She did suggest (but not confirm) that I could stay on my grandfathered E95 plan, but the point is I'd have to double my rental fee and take the SMC integrated modem/router that I simply don't want. Escalating to a supervisor also didn't help, so I grumbled about Bhell offering 40GB insurance, the fact that cancelling looks more attractive and ended the call.

Oh well, I guess I'll be eating their overages for the next week, which will justify my cancellation in February if/when Teksavvy finally gets its arse in gear.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was told the same thing - the UA plan for the current 80GB Extreme is 35GB, but if you have the old 95GB Extreme you only get 20GB extra. Also, applying the UA plan cancels out any discounts you might have (i.e., 20% off for 12 months if you commit for 1 yr).

However, I was told that I could continue to use my current Docsis 2 Motorola SB5100 modem.

I was hoping Teksavvy would get to Ottawa this month, but it was delayed (eta end of Feb). Instead, I just upgraded to Ultimate 175GB, with 20% off and free modem rental (but I have to call retentions every 6 months to get the fee waived). Hopefully 175GB will be enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this thread a few days ago and just registered so I could post my recent experience.

I phoned Rogers retention group looking for the extra 20GB for $5 per month on my Express plan. Rep couldn't find this arrangement but offered 12 months of Extreme at no extra cost plus a 3D (?) modem at N/C for 12 months if I committed to 24 months. When I asked why I needed a new modem (I have the Motorola DOCSIS modem that Rogers issued in November 2006) I was advised I needed it for the extra speed.

I passed on the offer because:
- I upload very little, so the extra speed for that isn't necessary
- other posters here did not have to change their modem to get the extra download limit
- I regularly go to speedtest.net and while my upload speed is generally right at 512Kbps my download speeds are 18-22Mbps.

I live in an area that has very few Internet users.

Am I right that my current modem does not allow for throttling of download speeds and therefore I should hold on to this modem for as long as I can?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Rep couldn't find this arrangement but offered 12 months of Extreme at no extra cost plus a 3D (?) modem at N/C for 12 months if I committed to 24 months.
They probably meant 3G and not 3D, and were refering to the new DOCSIS modems that they have brought out and require for the two top tiers of internet service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts