Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my Rogers Nextbox is giving me a lot of problems. I first noticed it a few days ago when I could not power on the PVR. It would work after a power-cycle the PVR. Then after maybe 30-60 minutes, it would freeze and I would have to power cycle again.

Since I own this PVR, Rogers is not helping. They offered me a rent-to-own option for $25 per month.

Symptoms:
1. After a power cycle, wathcing live TV is OK for maybe 30-60 minutes. Then it would freeze and may or may not resume playing. Eventually it would stop and I will have to reboot again.
2. After a power cycle, if I watch a recorded show, after maybe 30-60 minutes, I can no longer control the box by the remote. The show may continue to play but it would eventually stop.
3. When the box freezes, I cannot control the box with the remote. Even the red/blue switch in the front would not work.
4. The right back side is warm to the touch when I put my hand on the top of the box.
5. After I power cycle the box, Red/blue switch in the front would work. However, even if I do not turn on the PCR, it would stop working after some minutes.

I did some research and the suggestion was to replace the HDD. I also read that there is a cooling fan inside the box. Is it possible that this fan stopped working and it overheats (this is why it would stop working after 30-60 minutes)?

Please help. Based on the symptoms, is this still a HDD issue? Appreciate your advices before I order a HDD.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
This does not sound like an HDD issue but it's possible. It sounds like it may be an overheating issue. One common cause is dirt accumulating in the unit and vents. That's usually fixed by taking the cover off and cleaning the device with compressed air (available in cans at Costco.) However, the people who made the Nextbox decided to make if very difficult to take apart without special tools and somewhat difficult even with them. One quick fix might be to use compressed air or a vacuum to clean the vents. Blowing accumulated dirt into the unit is not recommended. Use the compressed air or vacuum very carefully at the fan vent so the fan is not damaged. Other vents could also be carefully cleaned.

Another common cause of problems is the switching power supply. That, again, could be due to dirt or a component overheating. Make sure the Nextbox has lots of space above and around it and is not over other devices that created heat or in a warm cabinet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a temporary solution, I put a fan on top of the box for cooling. I happen to have a 3-inch USB fan which can blow air downward. I put the fan near the center of the box. While the top panel is now cool to the touch, the box would reboot. So, with the fan, the box behaves differently now. Since I do not know the layout inside the box, where is the best place to put it?

I check and there is no instruction on net to open the box. Did anyone have ideas how to open it?

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I believe it's discussed in the thread about replacing the Nextbox drive. A security torx screwdriver or two is required. The best bet is a set available from Princess Auto or Ebay for about $10. A handle that takes the bits is also required. I haven't done it for awhile but I recall removing the top cover screws, the top cover, then removing the front cover (clipped on) and an internal cover.

As for the fan, I would just place it beside or behind the box to force air under and over it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought a set of these security Torx bits and a can of compressed air.

I look at the CAV10455HD: 6 screws at the bottom, one screw each on the right and left panels and one screen in the back panel above the HDMI. Which panel should I remove first? A bit worried because I may break something.

My USB fan only blows air up or down. I now put it on top near the power cable and let the air blows down into the box. This workaround seems to work well.

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
The following thread discusses how to on the 9865 (see links in post 1). I don't believe we have any instructions for the 4K PVR since it is newer and not many people need to do anything to them, but it should be similar.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I look at the CAV10455HD: 6 screws at the bottom, one screw each on the right and left panels and one screen in the back panel above the HDMI. Which panel should I remove first? A bit worried because I may break something.
As I recall, the bottom cover provides no access. Ignore it. The two side screws need to be taken out to remove the top cover. Not sure but I don't think the back screw needs to be removed. I believe the top cover is also clipped in so the sides need to be flexed out to remove it. Under the top cover is a metal plate that needs to be removed. Once done that provides full access.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a fan inside the 4K-PVR?
Good chance that this fan and/or dust is the reason of the overheating.

The box is a rectangular, can you tell me that layout of the components inside?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see that the 2 side and top panels are covered by “holes”. I cannot tell if they are real vents or just decors. I have a Shark vacuum with good suction, where should I point the nozzle?

Also, since I bought a can of compressed air, where should I shoot the compressed air?

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I would use a small brush attachment on the vacuum and just run it carefully over any visible vents. Turn the suction of the vacuum down if possible. Do not push the nozzle up against the vents as it could dislodge or damage something inside. The same goes for the compressed air. Hold it an inch or two away from visible vents. If the cover is removed, hold the compressed air a few inches away from components and fans and clean the entire inside surface, including vents. Also clean the cover.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a fan inside?
If so, is the fan always on or does it only run when it is hot inside?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know about the 4K-PVR. The Nexbox 3 (9865) has a small fan on the side.
Somehow I thought you have a 4K-PVR.
I will try to open up the box in these few days. If the fan is not working, it would be a challenge to find a replacement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Surprised that there is so little information on the CAV10455HD. If the fan seized, where can I find a replacement fan?

Also, who manufactured these boxes: Cisco or Technicolor?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Surprised that there is so little information on the CAV10455HD. If the fan seized, where can I find a replacement fan?

A Rogers rep told me that the brand is Technicolor, and that's what is printed on the bottom of my unit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Instructions to open the CAV10555HD: (All screws are Security Torx of size 10)
1. For the top cover, 3 screws to be removed, one on each side and one in the back.
2. Use a prying tool to remove the top cover.
3. There is an inside metal cover. 8 screws to remove.
I attached 2 pictures here in case other members like to see the layout of a CAV10455HD.

My observations:
1. No fan.
2. No or little dust inside, A few days ago, I did use an air duster to blow inside the box.
3. There is a small spongy thing between the metal cover and the heat sink. This may be a thermal pad.

I think over time, the thermal pad is no longer ”pressing“ on to heat sink, hence the overheating.
I will replace the thermal pad; maybe a larger one to cover the heat sink.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Cisco designed and sold the Nextbox units originally. They sold the rights to Technicolor, which is basically a holding company that buys the rights to products the original manufacturer no longer wants to manufacture, sell or support. Cisco did such a bad job on these boxes that they faced a support problem to fix all the firmware bugs. I wouldn't be surprised if they were concerned about lawsuits as well. Someone at Rogers seems to have been doing the firmware support for that past few years. Every new firmware seems to introduce more bugs than it fixes. They've broken the whole home function in major ways by eliminating handshaking in order to gain some minor speed improvements. Other changes requested by customers have created a number of unintended side effects. Things don't ever seem to get better with new firmware. It changes the workarounds required for newly introduced bugs or existing bugs that are only half fixed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The current HDD is Toshiba 1TB DT01ABA100V and it is working fine so far. However, it is 3-4 years old and it is used almost daily.

If I buy a new surveillance HDD, how do I format the drive? I ask because with the new HDD, there is no operating system so I may not be able to go to the GUI to do the factory reset.

Not sure if I should get a bigger drive, I don’t want the processor of the PVR to work harder. How about the Seagate Skyhawks 1TB Surveillance Drive?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts