Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

881 - 900 of 1337 Posts

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Search decided to work for me yesterday. I can't say that it was much better than when it didn't work. I keyed in "Confirmation" to find the HBO show of that name. The first item that showed up was labelled "Madonna." Disn't know what Madonna had to do wit Confirmation so I took a look. What I found was a bunch of random TV shows and Madonna videos that had nothing to do with Confirmation. None of them even had confirmation in the description.

The second and fourth items were The Confirmation, a PPV movie that costs $4.99 for the SD version (no thanks) and $6.99 (no thanks) for the HD version.

The third item was Confirmation, the HBO movie I was searching for. Despite the fact that it is airing 4 times on two different unique channels (that are in the guide 6 times,) only one airing on one channel was listed. Even worse was that only the SD HBO channel was shown. It is dynamically mapped to the HD channel on my receiver but that was not always the case and it's not the case for all channels. The old interface showed all airings of shows and showed exact matches first, without all the suggestion garbage that was, presumable, listed under the first tile. (I also have suggestions disabled so suggestion junk should never appear.) So would someone at Rogers tell me just how this is an improvement over the old interface?

A search for iZombie turned up equally useless results. Under the first tile was this week's TV airing. That might have been useful but it was the finale and I was looking for an earlier episode. Under the second tile was a list of randomly sorted episodes, none of which was the one I was looking for. Following that was about a dozen tiles labelled iZombie. They were, again, in no particular order and completely random. It was impossible tell which episode each tile was which since there was no information apart from the series title associated with the tiles. Therefore I had to click on every tile to find the episode I wanted. Once again, it wasn't there. Apparently, nobody at Rogers understands the usefulness of computer sort algorithms, something that was discovered over 50 years ago. Can someone please tell me how this is an improvement over the old interface? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Whenever possible, use AnyPlace. I searched for "confirmation" - Madonna was the second choice, but the HBO offerings were the first choice with almost 20 possible airings from which to choose. I never search on the PVR - too painful - been using AnyPlace for 5 years for searches, checking recordings, etc. Especially since Navigatr doesn't show lists.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If I'm in the wrong thread, I apologize in advance. I just switched back from Bell Fibe to Rogers (today) and trying to come up to speed on the "new" guide (I've been away for about 26 months).

1. Is there a channel-region map anywhere that identifies which ranges of channels hold what type of programs?
2. I know that Rogers used to do this feature where it would automatically show you the HD version of a channel even if you tuned to one of the lower-numbered ones. If I record on one of these channels, will it record the HD equivalent or should I always try to make sure I record the "real" HD channel? And if so, is there a range (above which everything is HD)?
3. I adjusted the settings to "hide" program titles for programs rated mature or something like that, but some of those PPV channels still come through loud and clear. If I could block all PPV that would be OK, too.

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
1. Not sure what you mean by this -perhaps the following.

Channels below 100 often have a duplicate higher up the band and Rogers keeps these for those used to using the old numbering system.

Channels above 100 are the various iterations of the same broadcasters - timeshift channels and also contain the SD equivalents of some of the HD channels.

High 400s and all of 500s contain the HD channels, although there are some elsewhere on the dial.

400s are often sports channels. There are also groups of channels for news, children's, movies, sports, ethnic, music, radio, etc. That's why there is some channel duplication, but it doesn't use any extra bandwidth because the channels are simply "remapped".

2. Auto-HD applies to the channels below 100 and they will automatically tune or record the HD channel if they have an HD equivalent in the higher channel numbers, like in the 500s. So it doesn't matter if you view/record channel 6 or 514.

3. Not sure if you can "not see" (hide) PPV, VOD from the guide, but you should be able to block those channels with a pin.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Had another zombie recording. This one was really weird. It didn't show up in the main tiles. I only noticed it because I looked in the scheduled recordings for a program. According to the info, it was over 5600 hours long. That's impossible because the disk won't hold that long a recording and the 9865 had been rebooted much more recently than that. :confused:

That also shows how information is often hidden in this interface due to the disconnect between what the tiles show and the information that is required. Managing recordings on a PVR should not be an "Easter Egg" hunt, as it usually is with the tile interface. Information needs to be readily available and not hidden under obfuscating tiles and incomprehensible menus.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's really all I can do to contain the rage and not take these boxes and just smash them into little tiny bits.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with these "zombie" recordings. Last night was the worst so far.

My wife and I pop the TV on at 8:30pm to watch survivor, and the recording for it on the navigatr screen is blank, click on it and it shows a 1969 date, and other wierdness. Try to watch it, and we get an error saying it's not available. Guide shows it as recording, but not in the navigatr LIST.

So we reboot. Upon rebooting, there are now *two* entries being recorded for the show. Pick the first one, get an error. Pick the second one, and it's just picked up from where the reboot is. So, I stopped both, and recorded a later time of the show.

Crap like that has been happening all week. This latest firmware update has been an absolute disaster.

I'm at the point where I want to buy a timer that will reboot this POS (and the two other terminals in our "whole home" network) every morning at 4am. Has anyone else ever gotten to that point?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've had a bit more time to play with the box. One fairly important issue I found -- I cannot watch a show while it's being recorded. I took it for granted with the Bell PVR that I could start watching about 20 minutes in or so, and catch up to live by the end (skipping ads). It's not a big issue with shows since we typically have enough stuff recorded (although with the disk pretty empty, I had 3 shows being recorded last night and had to wait until 11 to watch any of them). However it becomes a much bigger issue with sports. I typically record a hockey game then start watching the recording after the first period or even later, again, so I can skip all the breaks. It's one thing to wait 1 hour with a TV show, but quite another having to wait 3 hours (with padding) for a hockey game. Is there no solution for this?

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
You can watch the shows still recording - go to the tile of the show, click it and go to the scheduled tab, not the recorded tab, if it's a series recording. It only gets to the recorded tab once it's finished recording. For single recordings, simply press "watch". Please check out the following post over on the Rogers forum. It has all the links you need to properly use Navigatr.

Solved: Re: Nextbox 3.0 recording issue - Page 4 - Rogers Community

Also, check out the links in post 1 of this thread, especially:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-...-summary-list-good-bad-huh-2.html#post2700641

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hmm, I was sure I tried both the Scheduled and Recorded tabs and didn't see a play/watch option with either. Will have to try again tonight.

Over on a Rogers page, next to the description of how to skip ahead 3 minutes, I saw the following:

Did you miss a key plot point? Don’t sweat it: Hit slow-motion playback and catch up.
Can anyone explain what that means? Catch up by going slow? Also I thought they got rid of slo-mo playback we used to have with the 8300 a while back. Is there slo-mo?

With Fibe channel 999 is the playback channel, so I could pause a recording, hit Guide and select a live show to watch, then enter 999 and get back to the recorded show I was watching. To switch back and forth between a recording and live I could then use the "Last" button. Anything like that with Navigatr?

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Slo-mo, press the play button while playing a recording. The slo-mo is not as slow as it once was. Also, no frame-by-frame advance available any more.

On SARA firmware you could go to channel 950. This is no longer possible because of the way RTN and now Navigatr firmware works.

Tip - you can use the "skip-back" button when returning from FF past a commercial instead of hitting "Play". In this way you're less likely to miss any programming.

While playing a recording the "page+" button skips ahead 3 minutes. "Page-" skips back 3 minutes. The button above rewind goes back 8 seconds - skip back.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Is it just me? If I hold the "page+" button too long, it will skip ahead more than 3 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Yes, holding it down is the same as repeatedly pressing, causing 3 minute skips roughly every second. Once you release the button, it stops skipping. If you're pressing the button for too long, it'll skip 6 minutes, then 9, etc.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I recorded a couple episodes of a show back-to-back (series recording, w/o the "only new" and "this timeslot" options) and when the first one was about 5 minutes in I tried to play it. The "Watch" button was very visible, so much so that I could not have missed it before. Before I definitely had one show "scheduled" and 0 "saved" but in this case I seem to remember there was one show under each tab. Maybe it works differently when there are two shows scheduled (one being recorded and another scheduled; with a weekly show this is not the case as next week's show has not come in as "scheduled" yet). Anyhow, we'll see how it goes next week. The more important part is that recording a game and then watching it after the first period is done is OK.

Noticed today that the recordings list had "artwork". This is on the PVR. Checked back upstairs and I'm only showing empty boxes with some minimal text. Is this "artwork" shown only on the PVR or is it only a matter of time until the images are downloaded to the non-PVR box?

When I saw this "artwork" I thought maybe it meant that the catalog errors I've had when trying to access either OnDemand or Shomi were finally resolved. Not so. Four days in, four calls to support, numerous power-cycles and still no On Demand or Shomi. Have to admit, there have been more hitches than I expected when I switched back.

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Yes, it is weird that you see different things depending on the type of recording, etc. The experience should be identical, but it's not. This has been one of the major complaints of Navigatr. For example, pressing "info" does something totally different if you're watching a recording vs. watching live.

Also, when you're viewing series recordings in a tile, the tile remembers if you were last on the scheduled or recorded tab (even in another tile). So sometimes you may click on a tile expecting to see your scheduled recordings, but you'll see the already recorded programming, if that's what you were looking at in another tile.

Naturally :rolleyes:, single recordings look different again, which is very annoying. Single recordings show no information in the tile itself other than a description, so, as I mentioned in my "tips" post, I sometimes create a series recording instead of a single recording, just so I can see the information like the channel name, date and time. I then delete the series once I've watched the single recording. I don't need to do this often because I'm usually scheduling and checking recordings using AnyPlace/RAPTV.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just got off yet another call into Rogers about the VOD/Shomi issues (seeing #835MC all the time, 3 days post-install, multiple power cycles). This time was told that it's a s/w issue, so it will be "a few days" to get resolved. Since I'm running 6.0.1.0110 (which, according to another thread is the latest) it's not the case of a fix already being available, so I don't see how it could be resolved in "a few days". Unless there is a new update imminent. Or, much more likely, the CSR was just trying to placate me. No matter, I got her to say "3-4 days" so I'll wait until Wednesday (4 days) before calling again. It will be exactly a week since installation.

She also said that this problem was common, but I don't recall seeing it in this thread. Has anyone else run into this? And I don't mean once, when first installed, where a reboot and waiting 30 minutes did the trick.

P.S. They are giving me a $20 credit. I wonder if I should ask for more on Wednesday :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Quick question -- when looking at the recorded shows on the non-PVR box, am I supposed to (eventually) see the icons/artwork in the tiles or is that only on the PVR?

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Just got off yet another call into Rogers about the VOD/Shomi issues (seeing #835MC all the time, 3 days post-install, multiple power cycles)....I don't recall seeing it in this thread.
It's not in this thread because it's not directly related to Navigatr. It's an OD issue that also affected the previous RTN firmware. See the following thread on the topic. Quite a few people have been without OD/Shomi since November and no sign of a resolution for those people (me included). It's working for some (most?) other people, so it's a bit tricky.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-...tarted-november-2015-catalog-error-835mc.html

@wprager : If you've got WHPVR questions, please ask them in the following thread. Not every question goes in the Navigatr thread. ;)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-...vr-ontario-discussions-nextbox-2-0-3-0-a.html

PS. Not everyone sees the picture tiles and not all programming will have pictures associated with it - depends on if that picture was supplied to Rogers. I cannot answer your WHPVR question.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Another quick one -- the info in the recorded show tile tells me the channel name, but not the number. I have no idea where HDABC is (well, I found it to schedule the recording so I could find it again, but ...) Is there a way to display the channel number?

881 - 900 of 1337 Posts