Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dicktown will begin airing multiple unidentified episodes on FXX Canada on Thursdays starting March 3, according to Zap2it and TV Passport. There isn't a show page yet, so here's a U.S. press release that says the first season of Dicktown was part of season 3 of FX's Cake (now streaming on Disney+ Canada) and the new 10-episode season will air 2 episodes each Thursday starting March 3.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I assumed that Cake never aired in Canada since it was never included in any press release and there was never a showpage on the FX Canada | Watch Full TV Episodes Online & See TV Schedule web site. MTS doesn't carry the FXX channel, but I found another source that says the first 4 seasons are available on-demand for those providers that have that channel. I was looking for Dicktown, which doesn't appear to be available on-demand or streaming at this time, so you have to record the program if you want to watch it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I assumed that Cake never aired in Canada since it was never included in any press release and there was never a showpage on the FX Canada | Watch Full TV Episodes Online & See TV Schedule web site. MTS doesn't carry the FXX channel, but I found another source that says the first 4 seasons are available on-demand for those providers that have that channel. I was looking for Dicktown, which doesn't appear to be available on-demand or streaming at this time, so you have to record the program if you want to watch it.
For me (Bell), all 4 seasons of Cake are on FX on-demand, and Dicktown is on FXX on-demand. I believe I recall Cake airing on FX at one point, but don't have anything to back that up.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
For me (Bell), all 4 seasons of Cake are on FX on-demand, and Dicktown is on FXX on-demand. I believe I recall Cake airing on FX at one point, but don't have anything to back that up.
Thanks for confirming that. The first 4 seasons of Cake probably did air on FXX in Canada, they just didn't publicize it. They are also available for streaming on Disney+. Season 5 aired in the U.S. last fall, but isn't on FXX on-demand or on Disney+.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
FX U.S. announced a second eight-episode installment of their anthology series Feud, titled Capote’s Women. The first installment was in 2017, so it's not clear if FX Canada still has rights to the series or if Disney will just put it on Disney+ Canada.

----

Episode 18 of Impractical Jokers will air on OLN on Thursday, April 7 at 10 PM ET. (post-U.S. April 2) The series is set to return this summer with new episodes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FX U.S. announced a second eight-episode installment of their anthology series Feud, titled Capote’s Women. The first installment was in 2017, so it's not clear if FX Canada still has rights to the series or if Disney will just put it on Disney+ Canada.
I was just thinking yesterday about how disappointing FX has been since Disney acquired them, and all new series are going straight to Disney+. When the few current series end, they will likely let the TV channel fade away. Two of my all time favourite series, The Americans and Sons of Anarchy, were on FX.

Edit by 57 - Quote Syntax Corrected.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just thinking yesterday about how disappointing FX has been since Disney acquired them, and all new series are going straight to Disney+. When the few current series end, they will likely let the TV channel fade away. Two of my all time favourite series, The Americans and Sons of Anarchy, were on FX.

Edit by 57 - Quote Syntax Corrected.
I completely agree. They seem to be letting FX die out disproportionally compared to other specialty channels. My count through this thread is that they've launched 1 new show all year (Y: The Last Man), missing out on several new US FX/Hulu shows and losing on-demand library titles. I understand that Disney, which owns 1/3 of FX Canada, wants to prioritize Disney+. However, I was hoping that Rogers would've pivoted given there's so much content out there. You see others making an effort -- Corus with the Peacock deal, Bell airing HBO Max programming & others.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I agree in general. The blatant money grab posing as a new channel, FXX has been a dud almost since launch as well.
As for FX, you haven't been watching Snowfall? It's one of the best drug related crime dramas on TV since The Wire.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Cake on FX and Dicktown on FXX now have show pages and full-series streaming with the appropriate subscription. No signs of any new content coming soon.

----

I completely agree. They seem to be letting FX die out disproportionally compared to other specialty channels. My count through this thread is that they've launched 1 new show all year (Y: The Last Man), missing out on several new US FX/Hulu shows and losing on-demand library titles. I understand that Disney, which owns 1/3 of FX Canada, wants to prioritize Disney+. However, I was hoping that Rogers would've pivoted given there's so much content out there. You see others making an effort -- Corus with the Peacock deal, Bell airing HBO Max programming & others.
I think Disney is prepared to let FX and FXX Canada starve for content, while it puts everything where it controls the distribution rights on Disney+ worldwide. Here's a quote from a recent press release that I posted in the Disney+ thread: "FX's Pistol, the limited series about the legendary Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones, directed by Academy Award(R)-winner Danny Boyle, will premiere Tuesday, May 31 exclusively on Hulu in the U.S. and on Disney+ in UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. The premiere will feature all six episodes. Pistol will be coming soon to Star+ in Latin America and Disney+ in all other territories."

As FX Canada's contracts for library content expire, Disney is pulling back those rights and putting the programs on Disney+.

----

Coming April 19: ‘Mayans M.C.’: Loyalties Are Tested In Season 4 Trailer—And Nobody Is Safe

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cake on FX and Dicktown on FXX now have show pages and full-series streaming with the appropriate subscription. No signs of any new content coming soon.

----

I think Disney is prepared to let FX and FXX Canada starve for content, while it puts everything where it controls the distribution rights on Disney+ worldwide. Here's a quote from a recent press release that I posted in the Disney+ thread: "FX's Pistol, the limited series about the legendary Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones, directed by Academy Award(R)-winner Danny Boyle, will premiere Tuesday, May 31 exclusively on Hulu in the U.S. and on Disney+ in UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. The premiere will feature all six episodes. Pistol will be coming soon to Star+ in Latin America and Disney+ in all other territories."

As FX Canada's contracts for library content expire, Disney is pulling back those rights and putting the programs on Disney+.

----

Coming April 19: ‘Mayans M.C.’: Loyalties Are Tested In Season 4 Trailer—And Nobody Is Safe
I'm not sure this is necessarily true. I can see content being licensed to be put on the channels but none of the streaming rights or on demand for this content. An example of this is Modern Family, the rights were sold to CTV for Comedy however, they cannot stream or put the episodes on demand as that is only on Disney+. This way they maximize Disney+ while still selling content for Cable tv. Win Win for Disney.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Very interesting -- good points. I've seen similar press releases for The Old Man. FX Canada has previously advertised it as upcoming programming per your previous posts, but may not end up getting it if these recent Disney+ press releases are true.

I agree in general. The blatant money grab posing as a new channel, FXX has been a dud almost since launch as well.
As for FX, you haven't been watching Snowfall? It's one of the best drug related crime dramas on TV since The Wire.
Agreed. I've watched the first few seasons but have to get back into it. Thanks for the suggestion/reminder!

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Very interesting -- good points. I've seen similar press releases for The Old Man. FX Canada has previously advertised it as upcoming programming per your previous posts, but may not end up getting it if these recent Disney+ press releases are true.
FX Canada may still have the rights to The Old Man. I think its an older deal that has been held back by production delays. The press release I saw was a little vague on international distribution.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. I can see content being licensed to be put on the channels but none of the streaming rights or on demand for this content. An example of this is Modern Family, the rights were sold to CTV for Comedy however, they cannot stream or put the episodes on demand as that is only on Disney+. This way they maximize Disney+ while still selling content for Cable tv. Win Win for Disney.
That's certainly possible, but Hulu/Disney+ seems to promote worldwide exclusives. Broadcast Network library content like Modern Family often have TV syndication participation for the creators written into the original contracts, so they are a little different. The series is available on multiple channels in the U.S.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
FX has ordered The Sterling Affairs, a six-episode limited series about the downfall of LA Clippers' owner Donald Sterling. Laurence Fishburne has signed on to star as former Clippers Head Coach Doc Rivers. The U.S. press release doesn't mention Hulu or Disney+, so FX Canada could probably pick it up.

----

The Old Man is now scheduled to premiere on June 16.on FX U.S. as the primary platform, with streaming the next day on Hulu. (Deadline) FX Canada originally announced the series for the 2020-21 season, so they probably still have the rights.

·
Registered
322 Posts
FX Canada may still have the rights to The Old Man. I think its an older deal that has been held back by production delays. The press release I saw was a little vague on international distribution.

That's certainly possible, but Hulu/Disney+ seems to promote worldwide exclusives. Broadcast Network library content like Modern Family often have TV syndication participation for the creators written into the original contracts, so they are a little different. The series is available on multiple channels in the U.S.
I believe the Disney+ exclusive piece would be for content made for Disney+ but shows made for channels like FX or FXX would likely be made available to the channels in Canada for purchase. It's a win for Disney as they are making money off of the catalogue for on air consumption while still driving traffic to Disney+ for cord cutters, binge watchers or anyone looking to watch on demand content. We're going to see this a lot more not only with Disney but particularly with Discovery+ where Discovery content as well as content on the Corus channels will likely not be available to watch anywhere outside of live tv or in the Discover+ app. You already see this now with shows like Diners, Driveins and Dives and various other Discovery content.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I forgot to add that I wouldn't be surprised that in a few years when the Bell Media contract is up, Bell will likely lose the streaming / on demand rights for HBO content and it will likely be added to Discovery+ (this is already planned within the next 2 years in the US and other international markets). Bell will likely retain the channels for TV consumption but it makes no sense with the Warner Discovery merger that they would want Bell to have streaming rights for HBO when they have an app already being offered in Canada to share any profits with the exception of maybe a marketing agreement (like Corus and Discovery have for Discovery+). This is why Bell in particular is pushing very hard for C10 to go through as they see the writing on the wall and in time they won't be able to be the gatekeeper of content and skim the profits off of US content. There will likely be some sort of grandfather clause and since Discovery+ is already here they can move HBO content there and Bell will be somewhat screwed. It gets worse for Bell if Showtime eventually moves their content to Paramount+ which is also in Canada already as well.

57 - Unnecessary Quote Removed.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Breeders will premiere with the first two episodes of the 10-episode third season on Monday, May 9 on FX U.S. The series will soon be available on Star+ in Latin America and Disney+ under the Star banner in all other territories. (Source) Note: It's not clear if the availability on Disney+ will immediately apply to Canada. The first 2 seasons are available for streaming in Canada on FX and Disney+, but season 2 wasn't added to Disney+ until February, 2022.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Production has begun and continues through to February 2022 on an all-new satirical sketch comedy series ABROAD, in English and Tagalog. The 12-part, 30-minute per episode series is slated to air in Spring 2022 on OMNI Television. Additional broadcast details to be announced at a later date. (Press Release)
ABROAD will premiere on OMNI Television on Sunday, April 24 at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts