Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2010/07/22/rogers-download-limits.html

Wow... uhm, think i can cancel my "one year vocal contract" with them? I mean, if they decide to lower the cap for grandfathered users? Why would i keep my end of the bargain if they don't? ...
Last month i got a deal on my package, and i will be stuck with lower caps than before?

Even if i complain to them, they tell me to upgrade to a higher tier which they don't have in Moncton. Some people told me in this forum that it was in some areas but for me they said it wasn't available yet. I don't want a higher tier and higher speeds, i want that damn cap removed grrr

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's not retroactive from what I understood. If you signed up July 21 or later, you would be limited to the new caps. If you signed up July 20 or before, your caps don't change.

Interesting move, they just keep going lower and lower. Any guess on when Canada's ISP's move to a fee plus a per gigabyte charge starting at 0?

It is interesting how they digused the move with higher speeds which are meaningless because you just get to your cap sooner.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It's not retroactive.... yet. I wouldn't put it past Rogers to impose this across the board in a not too distant future.

In regards to technology, Canada is going backward.

This goes to the heart of something I brought up in the Netflix thread. I hope this turns into a war. Something has to give and this needs to be challenged.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't it what happened to Ultra-Lite or LIte customers a while back?

They probably won't do it until every provinces are docsis3 ready. I know it's being deployed here but when i ask my building is not in an area that is ready. It will be soon. Reason they probably will make it non-retroactive once the higher tiers are here is that... if you complain of the cap, there is higher packages they can offer you.

I kinda regret signing a deal with them for 12 months. With nasty moves like this, if they play the same game they played to the lite customers, aliant is so getting me back in 12 months.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
This goes to the heart of something I brought up in the Netflix thread
This brings us up to another point recently, where the ISPs don't have to control what people do with the internet because they were only the carrier and not a broadcaster, but if they started doing things that favoured their services, they'd lose that status. I wonder how close this comes to that? It certainly appears as though they're protecting their TV service at the expense of a potential competitor. Perhaps it's also time for the CRTC to start asking some pointed questions about why Canadians get poorer service at higher cost, while the carriers, such as Rogers are pulling in record profits, compared to the rest of the world.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Rogers has been screwing customers over for the last several years at pretty much every level. Lower caps and higher prices.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Perhaps it's also time for the CRTC to start...
If only the organization wasn't mostly made of ex-executives from the corporations it is supposed to monitor... The CRTC will probably get all bully-ish like when they did "Justify why you want to charge for incoming SMS messages" just for posturing. And then roll over and say it's okay.

It took the courts to make the assessment that you brought up. Not the CRTC.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just tried to login to My Rogers to check my usage and see if anything's changed and Voila!, the POS site is down again "We are currently experiencing problems..."

A few weeks ago, I was getting hounded by telephone and later by mail because my auto-payment credit card was about to expire. The nagging started even before I'd received the new card from RBC.

I tried no less than 6 times to change my expiry date via My Rogers AND their telephone support line, only to get system error messages. It finally went through on the last (phone) attempt i.e just when I was thinking about canceling all services.

Rogers core services are very good, but I find their customer service lacking and their business practices dispicable; constantly raising prices, tweaking service levels down and adjusting contract terms after we're locked-in. I don't recall one incident where these changes were in my favour.

I'm really hoping that TSI is active when my Rogers Extreme contract is up in Nov. I also have an unlocked mobile, so freedom to change carrier if we ever get real competition, and I could also probably live without cable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Seem's kind of fishy to me. Netflix announces they are coming to Canada on Monday...Rogers announces they're lowering download caps Thursday. Coincidence?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone.... just to clear up some misconceptions I wanted to confirm with you all that existing customers are not affected by the changes made on the Ontario Lite/Extreme tiers. Existing customers have the choice of keeping their currently plan or changing to the new plans.

Changes to these plans for new customers is in no way related to the Netflix announcement.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
rogersmary, you certainly are affected if you ever decide to change or if you are a new customer.

How is this of any benefit to consumers?
MarcP, of course this has nothing to do with benefiting consumers. Rogers is reducing the bandwidth caps on all plans as a way to disguise further price increases.

By lowering service levels, Rogers is forcing new customers and existing customers who want a change to buy more expensive tiers.

Remember when Ultra lite had an unlimited cap, then 60GB and now 2GB! They are reducing the caps by so much that customers are forced to spend more.

Rogers will give you some claptrap about how they are improving service by increasing download speeds. The fact is upload speeds are still in the dinosaur age and the constant reduction in bandwidth caps is a massive defacto decrease in service.

Less service, more money. A great combination for Rogers profits, stinks for consumers

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
its terrible news for sure, every single year we see price increases, and now cut back in service..

its so unfair and frustrating..

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Finally, let me just say that Grandfathering is discriminatory.

Under the law, different customers should not pay differing amounts for an identical service. Can you imagine if you went into Walmart and they had eight different prices on the same item and the price depended on when you first started shopping at Walmart.

The fact that the CRTC allows this crap along with other monopolistic practices such as product tying is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I get the feeling companies do this because reducing service levels constitutes a change in the TOS and gives customers a reason to escape their contracts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
@Hugh - I think your metaphore is wrong, it would be like going to Walmart and paying the same amount for an item that varies in features depending on when you started shopping at Walmart.

They are not charging different prices, they are providing a different service for the same price based upon what was offered when you signed up. It is like getting a different fixed rate on a loan or mortgage depending when you negotiated it.

I suspect that it does not violate any laws. As to it being right, that is a matter of opinion. Personally, I would say it's sleazy.

I think consumers need to educate themselves about alternative ISPs, myself included. Such as here in Ottawa we have the National Capital Freenet (a non-profit org) which has a DSL service at 5 Mb/s down and 800Kb up with a 200GB cap for 30.95/mo. Sure that is not the fastest, but it is a decent cap and an alternative to what the big companies offer.

I am looking to move in a few months and am seriously considering this as an option for then.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 51 Posts