Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I didn't see it, so anyhow, Roger's has applied to the CRTC for applications for 10 category 2 specialty channels. These are:

Ampersand, “devoted to romance, love and relationships and would include series based on relationships, feature films, mini-series, made-for-television movies and occasional magazine-style shows focusing on this genre and its stars," reads the application.

Contessa, “devoted to programming related to relationships, lifestyle, beauty, trends and style, and would focus on the interests and needs of working women aged between 25 and 54 years.”

GGBG, “would feature entertainment programming about police, law, the courts, emergency and medical response teams, disaster and relief operations featuring people and organizations that uphold law and order in our society.”

Highwire, “devoted to the entire genre of action and adventure, including selections from crime fiction, epic and heroic drama. The service would consist of contemporary action and adventure films and series, mini-series, made-for-television movies, classic films and occasional magazine-style shows focusing on this genre and its stars.”

Home Made “would consist of programs that offer Canadians an interactive television experience and which provide immediate access to detailed step-by-step instructions, in-depth demonstrations and tips for do-it-yourself projects.”

Luxury Living “would be dedicated to the finer things in life. This service would feature all things that can bring a taste of the luxurious into our lives, from vacations and leisure activities to home furnishings, food and fashion.”

Puzzle “would be designed for Canadian adults 18-49. Programming would consist of horror, thriller, suspense and science fiction films as well as occasional game and magazine style shows focusing on these genres.”

The Competition Channel “would be devoted exclusively to reality-based programming, including competition-based reality and do-it-yourself makeover programs.”

Gold “would feature classic programs from the beginnings of television. Programming would explore vintage television and the cultural impact of television on our society by providing a window on television history.”

Epic TV “would be devoted to classic television programming.”

Is it me, or do they channels seem similar to channels already offered by Shaw/Corus and Bell? Anyway, I don't think the CRTC should approve them as they will just bring more crap to the airwaves and there are enough channels available. Other channels being applied for at the moment include:

CRUSH!, a proposed service that “would primarily consist of theatrical feature films aired on television, comedy series and dramatic series, mini-series, movies-for-television, animation, sports and music videos, and shows dedicated to a male audience of 18 to 34 years of age.” Backing it is George Burger, late of the Fight Network, Spotlight Television and Alliance Atlantis.

Canadian Small Business Television, a channel which “would provide viewers with information regarding government programs that foster business development, as well as informal and continuing education programs for business owners, members of professional associations and their staff. The programming would also inform potential entrepreneurs on how to start, develop and grow their business.”

Pure TV, a French language service focused on “health related programming including programs about hospital life, various recent developments with regard to medical science, pharmaceutical products and alternative health care, as well as general information relating to healthy nutrition, physical exercise and well-being.” It is backed by V owners Remstar.

TxT-TV is a service that “would provide content that inspires and provokes viewer participation and content contributions. The service would provide content directed to all adults 18+ and would provide a platform for moderated interactive conversation on various topics and interactive games.” This one is from mobile ad company Airborne Media.

ATN Comedy Channel One “would provide comedy in the Hindi language. In addition to Hindi comedy, it would also provide interviews with the comedians and scenes from their skits and shows, as well as movies.”

CRUSH seems like it "might" be a good channel while Small Business TV sounds like absolute crap that should be a tv show and not a tv network, don't you think? And last time I checked wasn't TXT-TV already available on Rogers? How can they apply for something that already is on air or rather how can it be on air if it hasn't been approved yet?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Some of them sound redundant to channels already available, while others sound very one-dimensional and I doubt would make a profit.

I also think the proposed names are HORRIBLE.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would be surprised if even ONE of them makes it to air. Many of these kinds of applications are approved but just gather dust on the shelf.

·
Registered
694 Posts
We could use a good Horror channel (SD & HD) since Scream went and changed to Dusk and turned into every other channel out there.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually i'm pretty sure the ATN channel will eventually launch as they're always launching stuff. As for the others, why would Rogers get applications for channels they have no plans on launching? Seems like a waste of time and money. I think they want to try and compete with Shaw/Corus and Bell/CTV and their similar channels, especially since they will soon have far more specialties than Roger's currently has. It makes sense for Rogers to want to get in the game so to speak. On the other hand, they still haven't launched their baseball network which everyone expected them to do. I guess they are trying to branch out from just sports channels.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Canadian Small Business Television, a channel which “would provide viewers with information regarding government programs that foster business development, as well as informal and continuing education programs for business owners, members of professional associations and their staff. The programming would also inform potential entrepreneurs on how to start, develop and grow their business.”
LOL.

Does their creative writing department just have way too much time on their hands?

·
Banned
296 Posts
As for the others, why would Rogers get applications for channels they have no plans on launching?
Actually, the CRTC intends to change the rules, and you can read in a recent Broadcasting Notice of Consultation that the CRTC "will only be prepared to consider five (5) Category B applications from one applicant at any given time. Further, the Commission will expect an applicant to demonstrate that the proposed Category B services are distinct from each other. Applications that do not meet these conditions will be returned."

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-621.htm , scroll to #6.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if that's true, then I guess Rogers wants to apply for these channels before those rule changes come into affect. Sounds like a good rule though. Too many people applying for too many channels and not doing anything with them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those rules don't go any where near far enough. They need to add

An examination of prior applications by the same company or companies with the same owners.

Proof that the company has the resources to get the channels operational.

A threshold of repeated programming with other channels under the same parent organization.

Is ala cart still being talked about for the same period as the ATSC migration or has the government been told to loose the idea of ala cart?

·
Banned
296 Posts
Those rules don't go any where near far enough. They need to add

An examination of prior applications by the same company or companies with the same owners.

Proof that the company has the resources to get the channels operational.
I don't agree here.

An examination of prior applications won't do much. Applicants back in 2000 will be penalized because back then, digital penetration was low. Big corporates and startup companies had to negociate with each service provider for subscriber revenues, channel placement and accessibility and package assemblage. Some were successful, some other weren't. A new projected digital channel filled with in-house high-quality production values couldn't expect to make much profits in 2001, but a similar new digital channel with lot of reruns or programming obtained for cheap could get in right away.

Let me give you an example. Back in 2000, Groupe TVA was awarded a Cat 1 specialty licence to launch Télé Ha-Ha with Just For Laugh president, it was intended to be a french equivalent to Comedy Network. The channel never launched because the programming expenses were to be high and there was not enough Videotron digital subscribers back then. They could apply for a new licence, but it wouldn't be fair for the CRTC to come up and say, "you didn't launch that channel back then when asked the 1st time, so screw you".

As for proof that the company has ressources, well, any new channel launched by Bell, Corus (Shaw), Rogers, Groupe TVA (Videotron) would be instantly accepted while start-ups wouldn't have any chance. When you have a great idea, a very good business plan, and interesting programming, viewers and advertisers will come.

·
Registered
33 Posts
An examination of prior applications won't do much. Applicants back in 2000 will be penalized because back then, digital penetration was low.
Then why put in an application other than to block every one else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts