Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody else has this problem:

My wife and I both own iPhone 4s with the latest iOS 4.2.1 installed. We don't subscribe to Name Display or Caller ID with Rogers.

The problem is any person who calls that is in our contact lists shows up as "unknown caller". This worked fine not that long ago and has since ceased to function on both iPhones. I called Rogers about it and tech told me it doesn't work because I don't have Caller ID subcribed in my plan. I explained to him that it worked fine previously for anybody in our contact list that called and now it doesn't. He still insisted I had to subscribe that the rip off $8/month caller id plan.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Not sure how it worked before but if you don't subscribe to Caller ID then that information wouldn't normally even be sent to your phone (hence even with someone in your contact list, the phone wouldn't know who is calling.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing though is when you go onto Rogers Wireless site and go over the descriptions for Caller ID and Name Display options both descriptions imply that they are basically required to display names and numbers of people not in your contact list.....to me that implies anybody in your contact list should show up when they call you.

If what you say is true then it must be Rogers blocks the incoming number info from reaching your phone if you do't subscibe to caller ID to force users to buy it to see who's calling even when that person is on your contact list. If someone in my contact list initiates Facetime with me though their name shows up but I can see why that's not an issue seeing as that works over WiFi only.

·
Registered
629 Posts
On a land line, you won't get a number displayed without subscribing. If you program a number in the directory of the phone, you won't see it when they call.

My guess is the feature was on free for a while and now it is turned off.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Just curious if anybody else has this problem:
Is the calling number displayed? Some people have the name blocked, but not number. Others have the number blocked too. My old Motorola V180 could match an incoming number with the contact list to display the name, as my Nexus One does too. I just verified that with a call from a friend, where her number, but not name is shown on my home phone, but my N1 shows both. When she calls from her cell phone, neither name nor number are listed and my N1 cannot match it with the contact list. It just shows "Unknown". My Rogers bill does not list call display, as it's included with my $25 plan.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It displays nothing but "Unknown Caller".....no number, no name.....no nothing. When you go through the Recent Calls history it displays nothing but Unknown Caller as well with no other info.

My guess is as earlier......unless you subscribe to Caller ID, Rogers must block the incoming phone number info from reaching your phone to force people to buy caller id. From my research the iPhone is like most cell phones......it will recognize an incoming phone number and if it matches one in your contact list it will display that number along with the person's name you've associated to that number in your contact list.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree with whitbyterry. It may have been on for a few months when you first got the iPhone as part of a promotion but has since been turned off. That would explain why you had the feature previously but no longer have it now.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If you aren't paying for it, it will never display a number or name. It was working before because you probably had a promotion, why don't you check your bills, promotions often show up as if you had call ID then there would be a credit, thus zeroing out the price.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
^^^^
I have caller ID and don't pay extra for it. Also, I just checked the Rogers site and don't see it mentioned at all, either as included or an option.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What Eluder and BGY11 said. I had the iPhone without called id and would see nothing. I finally antied up for the $10 a month and see it now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased iPhone's for both my wife and I less than a year ago with Rogers. On the Apple site and the Rogers site I saw reference to having the number/names of people in your address book showing up without paying for call display. Needless to say it does not work. I contacted Rogers and a rep actually admitted that it doesn't work with the iPhone, you have to subscribe to the service. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
wow, i can't believe they actually get away with charging for callid up there?
It's probably more work on their part to remove it than it is to provide the feature... 10 bux a month?? that's some serious coin for something that costs them nothing to provide.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
^^^^
I have called ID and don't pay for it. My plan costs $25/month. It's been on my plan for years.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
JamesK, Some price plans include Caller ID.

I remember atleast 2 plans I had in the past, both included Caller ID, it was built-into the plan. Even Voicemail was built into one of my plans, I never paid for it, but the feature was "included" as one of the features of the plan, basicaly its a hidden SOC code that is attached to the plan code.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok, I have the opposite problem. On my Pay As You Go plan, I want my name displayed on the person's phone I'm calling. I have caller ID, and they have caller ID. But only my phone number is displayed when I call them (unless they configure their own phone menu to included my name).

Is it possible to have my name displayed and sent along with my number?

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
You may have to call Rogers on this one. I just tried calling my home number with both personal and work cell phones. My work phone displays my name, but my personal one doesn't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts