Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are there no other ISP's in Woodbridge, Ontario? TekSavvy was supposed to be available in November. I just called them and the CSR indicated that there is no specific date set and they remain 'in talks'. This is ridiculous. Why, as a consumer, am I forced to go with Rogers if I want High Speed Internet service?

I find this ridiculous, anti-competitive, and all together corrupt. Why was Rogers granted exclusive rights to Woodbridge as the sole ISP?

Since Ted's death, this company has gone downhill. I hope some other ISP (maybe Shaw) gobbles up all their customers.

Tony

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Nice rant, but inaccurate. It's not Rogers' fault that there are no ISPs in Woodbridge. I find it hard to believe that Bell DSL is not available - and if it's not, how is that Rogers' fault?

Rogers has been providing Teksavvy access to their different areas to provide competitive service. I could be wrong, but I believe Teksavvy is having issues with capacity and IP addresses, which is why the process is taking longer than many would like to roll out to more areas.

I see no noticeable difference in the company since Ted died. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about the entire Woodbridge area, but I know many people living in a newer residential subdivision called 'Thornhill Woods' which is just east of Woodbridge, where the builders only allowed telecom access to one provider who used 'Coax' wiring to the homes. There is no 'Bell' type cabling in this area.

This provider has since been acquired by Rogers and the residents do not have alternatives.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
where the builders only allowed telecom access to one provider who used 'Coax' wiring to the homes. There is no 'Bell' type cabling in this area.
We've had this discussion before. Builders demand cash from cable or telcos for exclusivity. Great for the builder, lousy for consumers.

If that's the case, then buyers knew this going in so you can't blame the cable or telco, blame the builder.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
I'm sure Inukshuk (Bell/Rogers) is available in Woodbridge. It's wireless, but the throughput is decent. You could get billing through Bell.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
hugh, not always is there cash changing hands for this situation. We've done deals where the builder includes a year's worth of free service for the customer and we charge them a heavily discounted fee. The builder then builds something into the home price to cover this cost (plus I would assume a nice profit for them).

It's generally Bell's decision not to put phone lines in the ground in situations like this. I don't believe that legally they can prevent Bell from going joint trench with the other utilities.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
We've done deals where the builder includes a year's worth of free service for the customer and we charge them a heavily discounted fee. The builder then builds something into the home price to cover this cost (plus I would assume a nice profit for them).
While cash may not change hands, there is still a quid pro quo that benefits the builder in the form of higher home fees. The builder would not knowingly screw consumers if he wasn't getting a benefit.

It's generally Bell's decision not to put phone lines in the ground in situations like this.
I can understand why. Why spend money when you are shut out. What idiot would buy from Bell when they get a free year from the cable company? With inertia, it would be years before the Telco would have a chance at recouping their investment.

Better to not cave into builders. My guess is many builders will not take the deal because they fear the downside when people realize they've been sold down the river!

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
This sounds like a former "Futureway" area. This company had exclusivity on all hardline telecommunications (TV, Internet, telephony) to the homes in their negotiated footprint; typically new developments. The company (or the areas served by them) were subsequently bought out by Rogers.

If my recollection serves correctly, Futureway did install FTTH in many of their areas. Other regions had "FTTC" (Fiber to the Curb).

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
It's generally Bell's decision not to put phone lines in the ground in situations like this. I don't believe that legally they can prevent Bell from going joint trench with the other utilities.
There was a situation, a few years ago, where a builder only let Rogers in. I don't recall the details though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts