Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many months of agonizing decision making my father finally bought himself a new 55 inch Sony Bravia. He talked to Rogers who gave him a deal on a new PVR etc.

The Rogers installers came over and after a discussion started to replace some of the cabling in my fathers 20+ year old home. The set was in the basement which required the workers to work in the ceiling above the new TV. Well, as you might expect, they dropped something on the TV which resulted in a scratch to the top bezel of the TV and two scratches, approximately two inch each in the top left of the screen. I have not inspected the damage but my father indicates that they are both very visible when the TV is on.

After several discussions with Rogers reps, two visits by different "Managers" the best they will do for him is $800. He has refused and asked for a new TV. The "Manager" insists that the installers "don't make much money" and that they "are not Rogers".

Anyone have any insight on how to deal with this situation? Should he deal with Rogers directly or deal with the installation firm? This is in North Brampton.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
As I understand it, Rogers is responsible for the contractors, as they're the ones who hired them, not your father. Otherwise, they could hire anyone off the street and say "sorry, he's a contractor" and absolve themselves of all responsibility. You might want to try going a bit higher in Rogers or try one of those newspaper complaint columnists.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Or go public with CBC. They love that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
629 Posts
These people have insurance. Well, they should. Talk to Rogers and if you get no results, contact Ellen Roseman at the Toronto Star.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
how much does the tv repair place cost to buff out the scratch? im sure its under 800 bucks. id take the 800, buff out the scratch yourself, and keep the rest, perhaps you can use it to buy a nice new hdpvr?

all aside, you can pretty much buy a 42 inch hdtv for easily 500-600, so take the money maybe u can even claim it through your insurance too? but i dont recommend double dipping, if you get caught.

·
Registered
292 Posts
buff it out and tell them you fixed it for 10 bucks. they'll give you 10 bucks the installers boss will be off his back and nobody gets ripped off.
I bet your dads house will be the last house that installer goes out of his way by putting the wire up in the ceiling, the next guy will get the prescribed basic install and can put the cable up in the ceiling himself after he leaves.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for your responses. I knew I would get a diverse set of opinions.

Thankfully the matter has been resolved to our complete satisfaction. I have to hand it to Rogers, they surprised me. I expected this to drag out for months but it was resolved within a week.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My father still has to sign a release so he has asked me not to disclose the resolution but suffice to say Rogers resolved the matter to our satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I guess thats code for, he got a new television.
Or code for "Rogers is afraid they will set a precedent if everyone finds out they treated a customer properly"! ;)

Too bad, that could be the sort of thing that would give them much needed positive advertising!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts