Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last several months my iPad had been experiencing issues where it would lose WiFi. It mostly would occur when I would try to use a video app like Ignite TV, Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc. However, I would also notice that it would happen when using Facebook and an RSS Newsreader. Essentially any app that downloads quite a bit of information at once. It very rarely happened when playing games on the device or reading email.

After talking to the Support rep, he figured out the issue. He disabled the feature called "bandsteering" on my Ignite router and there was no more issue. The only negative is that I now have two SSIDs showing up.

We carefully tested this by testing the 2.4G and 5G SSIDs, separately, and there was no issue with either. As soon as bandsteering was enabled, the problem started again. The symptoms would start by seeing that video playback would freeze for about 30 seconds to a minute and then "poof" the WiFi would disconnect. Often I wouldn't be able to rejoin the network without waiting a few minutes and/or turning off WiFi.

This issue only started back in the spring so I suspect its an issue with iOS that just causes an issue with bandsteering. However, my wife has a newer iPad and it does not have the issue.

I'm writing this up in case anyone experiences similar issues and doesn't know if they should call Rogers or Apple. As a side note, if you know how to get into the Ignite configuration (without using the Rogers app) you can disable bandsteering yourself.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used to have this problem, but after switching to ignite, bandsteering is working ok together with the free pods.

·
Registered
9,858 Posts
Band steering can be problematic with some devices and any router or access point. Devices that support only 2.4GHz 801.11G or 801.11N protocols seem to be the most affected. Some cheap devices are still made that only support 2.4GHz wifi. It's not difficult to guess what would happen if the router tries to switch them to 5GHz.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 4 year old iPad should be able to handle this so it has to be a bug in iOS or the hardware WIFI module.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
When I first got Rogers Ignite the 2G and 5G were separate SSIDS but band steering later came out but I had to do it manually which I was so happy when I did cus it made my devices connect seamlessly and it worked beautifully. no problems to report.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I am seeing this in an older iPad as well. But I don't have a router setting for "band steering". I do have Tomato based firmware running on 2 older dual-band APs that use the same SSID with different channels. It works well for all the devices (seamless hopping) except for the 5th gen iPad that is used for a lot of streaming. The issue usually pops up after an hour of two of streaming (buffering then loss of the connection). My devices clients are limited 1 band. I mentioned this because I know the 5th gen iPad mentions MIMO (2 spatial streams) but I can't seem to find the same info for my 8th gen iPad. Also the 5th gen came out in 2013 and I think that was the first year they implemented MIMO in an iPad. Apple experts feel free to correct me. I just quickly scanned some Apple tech documents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts