Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1071 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had Ignite installed on the 9th. Everything went reasonably well that day and the next. On the third day, the screen went black in the middle of a show in the middle of the afternoon. It stayed black until I unplugged the TV box (not the modem) and then plugged it back in. It has done this at least three or four times since. On the weekend I changed the connecting network from the one the tech set up to our established home network. Yesterday the screen went black again but this time after a minute or so it came back by itself. Is this a common experience with ignite users? When he installed ignite the tech said we had a very strong signal. Have these TV boxes been tested before they rolled them out?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I have not seen that problem. I've only once seen a problem, which affected all 3 sets at the same time. Rogers had some issue at the time, not the boxes.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,043 ·
@Rogers Customer 77 I assume you're connected via WiFi. A poor WiFi signal is usually the reason for these sorts of issues.

Check out the various posts in the Rogers IgniteTV forum. You can do so without signing in (your comments in your other posts). If you wish to sign in, using Incognito or Private mode in your browser usually works and this only takes one extra click.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Rogers Customer 77 I assume you're connected via WiFi. A poor WiFi signal is usually the reason for these sorts of issues.

Check out the various posts in the Rogers IgniteTV forum. You can do so without signing in (your comments in your other posts). If you wish to sign in, using Incognito or Private mode in your browser usually works and this only takes one extra click.

The tech who installed our ignite said we have a very strong signal. So no idea what's causing the disconnects.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We had Ignite installed on the 9th. Everything went reasonably well that day and the next. On the third day, the screen went black in the middle of a show in the middle of the afternoon. It stayed black until I unplugged the TV box (not the modem) and then plugged it back in. It has done this at least three or four times since. On the weekend I changed the connecting network from the one the tech set up to our established home network. Yesterday the screen went black again but this time after a minute or so it came back by itself. Is this a common experience with ignite users? When he installed ignite the tech said we had a very strong signal. Have these TV boxes been tested before they rolled them out?
These Xi6-t boxes have an issue connecting to / using the 5Ghz band for some reason.
If you are using the Rogers-provided modem to provide the wifi - and it is switching between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, the black screen you are experiencing may be where it loses signal while it struggles to reconnect to one band vs the other.

I have my Rogers modem in bridge mode, then connecting to my RT-86AX-U ASUS router.
These Ignite boxes (always) have a hard time connecting to the 5GHz band.
In fact - even with a VERY strong 5Ghz signal, they prefer to ignore it and only see/use the 2.4 GHz band.
(I have separate SSIDs for my 2.4 and 5 GHz bands)
After every power outage, or reboot of any of the equipment - I have to go into these ignite boxes (manually) and force them to connect to the 5Ghz band !
And, while it struggles to connect to the 5Ghz band - yes, you guessed it - BLACK SCREEN.
Just wait it out - about 60 seconds or so - sometimes you get a message that it failed to connect - just click on "retry" and it will reconnect.
What a pain.

BTW, the method to do this is:
Using the Ignite Remote - and the Ignite Xi6-t box:
  • Hold the Rogers button for 3-5 seconds
  • Hit Down, Down
  • enter 9434 (to go to wifi settings) - where you can manually enter everything, etc
  • (or) you can enter 2 (to go to diagnostics)

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,046 ·
The tech who installed our ignite said we have a very strong signal. So no idea what's causing the disconnects.
He was probably talking about the signal coming into your home, not the WiFi signal. You can check the WiFi signal using a phone (or other WiFi device that shows WiFi signal) and walk around the house while watching the WiFi signal on the phone. You can also try moving the IgniteTV box around or connecting it temporarily using Ethernet.

There are many reasons for a WiFi signal to drop or be inadequate. If you research it on the web as well as my previous link, you'll become aware of the possible problems. Items like Microwave ovens, which use similar frequency can also interfere with WiFi, as well as devices used by neighbours, etc.

What is the position of the IgniteTV box relative to the Gateway? Is it in the same room, in a different room, on a different floor, etc?

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,047 ·
You can also access the WiFi signal at your box by clicking Rogers - Settings - Device Settings - Network. Underneath Network:SSID you'll see a note regarding status.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
These Xi6-t boxes have an issue connecting to / using the 5Ghz band for some reason.
Most lightweight TV boxes have dodgy wifi. The ones I've seen have the cheapest wifi implementation possible and do not connect at high speeds even with a good signal. One TV streamer I use occasionally complain of a lost internet signal despite receiving a very high signal. (Maybe too high.) Using a wifi analyzer app on a smartphone is a good way to see the signal strength of your own and other, interfering, wifi signals. As far as microwave interference is concerned, it is centered on channel 6 so using 1 or 11 may be better but I've seen leaking microwaves knock out other frequencies.

Another issue I've seen is incompatibility between newer routers and legacy equipment. 802.11ax, aka Wi-Fi 6, on the 2.4GHz band can cause connectivity issues. If applicable, it may be best to disable it on the router. Another issue is band steering on some routers. It can cause devices to repeatedly disconnect and may need to be turned off. It may be best to assign a different SSID for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands so that misbehaving devices can be manually logged into to the band where they operate best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Contacted Rogers and told them my download speed was around 30mbps. They told me there is a service problem in the area. Their automated assistant said otherwise. I switched back to our home network with router and my download speed was 90mbps. The CSR said it should be around 150mbps.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Contacted Rogers and told them my download speed was around 30mbps. They told me there is a service problem in the area. Their automated assistant said otherwise. I switched back to our home network with router and my download speed was 90mbps. The CSR said it should be around 150mbps.

Hopefully you're testing over Ethernet first, then Wifi. I connect my boxes via Ethernet.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hopefully you're testing over Ethernet first, then Wifi. I connect my boxes via Ethernet.
I was going to mention this as well - I connect via ethernet and I have had rock-solid connections for over 2 years now. I know it flies in the face of how Rogers markets these boxes but if practical it is my recommendation.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
@jasonreg

Rogers actually installed my Ethernet cables. When I first got a cable modem, in the late 90s, I wanted it at the other end of my condo from where the TV outlets were. So, they fished the coax cable up the wall, alongside an air duct until it reached my laundry room, where it crossed the ceiling, down the wall behind the water heater and through the wall into the closet in my "office". While they were doing that, I had them pull in a couple of runs of CAT5. As a result, I had Ethernet jacks behind my living room and bedroom TVs over 20 years before I had IPTV. Just being a bit proactive. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am still very hesitant about switching to Ignite TV, but it appears that we will all be forced to do it, sooner or later. Wifi signal strength is most certainly one of the strongest reasons why I still prefer the good old fashioned legacy system.

However, I'd love to get some feedback about something else. How good and precise is fast forwarding function? I am not talking only about skipping commercials, but also whether I can see the picture while fast forwarding. On the legacy system, as we all know, we were able to use several levels of FF, and at the same time we were able to see the picture, which allowed for pretty precise stopping. Is it any similar to this with Ignite? Reading messages on a few message boards, I am under the impression that you can only skip the recording in certain time increments, without the ability to watch while fast forwarding. I know that I would not like that.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
See the following recent post from me over on the Rogers forum describing skipping commercials. Yes you can see the picture, but it is "quantized" (like in the 9865, not smooth like it was in the SA8300HD).

There are 5 different speeds, FF1, FF2 - 15X, FF3 - fast, FF4 - very fast and lightning. With lightning there is no picture movement, just the time indicator at the bottom of thee screen. I haven't bothered checking the actual speed of FF1, FF3 or FF4 because I don't use them. Lightning is super fast and goes through an hour in seconds. As mentioned in my link below, voice commands or 30 second skip are also very useful depending on what you want to do.

If you want to learn about IgniteTV, check out the Rogers IgniteTV forum for posts/threads of interest:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the FF info. I have two 9865 boxes, and am quite happy with how FF works. Used to have an old SA8300HD PVR a long time ago, but I can't remember how much smoother FF was. I just want to be able to see the picture when fast forwarding, so I know when to stop.

As for skipping commercials, I suppose the same FF technique can be used, by using one of these FF speeds. And I have read about using voice command to do it (on Rogers forum). It appears that a lot of people are not big fans, but I believe there is also a "hack" you can apply, so that you can skip more than 30 seconds. Frankly, right now, on the 9865 box, I am often just using fast forwarding to go through commercials, or sometimes I just do the initial 3-minute skip, and then just "fine tune" it, using FF and REW.

I will check your post on Rogers forum, but you have already answered my main question about being able to see what I'm fast forwarding.

And if I can bother you some more, how is the system response time, when you go back to play, after FF? Does it resume play fast, without struggling to find the proper time stamp?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,058 ·
...how is the system response time, when you go back to play, after FF? Does it resume play fast, without struggling to find the proper time stamp?
Coming from the 9865 I would say it's not significantly different. This was something I was concerned about as well after reading (old) posts about people not happy with IgniteTV responsiveness, however, I have been more than happy. I migrated to IgniteTV in late March and perhaps the (old) issues were "gone" by then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't find a huge difference in using FF with Ignite as compared to the old PVR. One thing I find annoying with voice command is the fact it doesn't always respond correctly. Half the time I get "Please try again" unless I'm asking for a simple "CBC" or "Global". Anything more complex and it often gives you something completely different than what you asked for. Easier to punch in the channel. It would be nice if they had included a little booklet explaining what each button on the remote does. Other than that, it's swell.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
Using the Comcast Xfinity site is very helpful:

Slow deliberate voice commands help, but obviously are not perfect.

1041 - 1060 of 1071 Posts