Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1001 - 1007 of 1007 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yes I know there are other ways to stream radio but the Jazz FM CJRT internet radio stream was recently shut down. When I went to their site to see what’s up I saw they switched to TuneIn and a note about Rogers Ignite unavailability that I thought was relevant to this thread. It is still on the digital box channel 932.
No way Jose!!! Jazz.FM is streaming via their website, and the TuneIN and MyTuner apps. They always have. There may be other apps I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The switch to TuneIn instead of a station maintained stream is more likely due to factors other than budget issues. TuneIn streams thousands of stations, providing more exposure and technical support as well as lower costs. Almost all radio stations have switched to using a third party streaming service because it makes sense. Listening links on station sites usually just point TuneIn or another outside service.

Stations being removed from Rogers is no longer a concern. There are currently too many options on the internet for it to be relevant. Before high speed internet became available, it was the only way to get distant stations reliably.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Interesting subject. My Volvo has TuneIn as an app. I use it and quickly discovered an excellent Swing and blues station. Suddenly it disappeared. I went to TuneIn on my phone and it is still there. Went to in my IPad and still there. A few days later it disappeared from IPad but still worked on iPhone and PC.
I have Rogers ignite and Tunein is shown there and works fine, even shows my preferred station as a favourite but still won’t connect.
On the pc I did the usual network things and it is still there.
I have no control over the Volvo app apart from de installing and re installing…which doesn’t help. I will try reinstalling tunein on iPad just to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
@timlocke I had something similar happen with TuneIn last year. I complained to them and they told me the rights for stations expire and have to be renewed. It definitely seems really odd for different devices to have different stations.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe my fault. I also have a Roku tv so it maybe I am confusing the ‘apps’ on Ignite with those on the TV. FWIW. I would never buy a Roku Tv again and may get rid of the one I have.

TuneIn. works fine on ALL my platforms except for my preferred station BigBlueSwing. Which only works on some of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1001 - 1007 of 1007 Posts