Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
981 - 1000 of 1007 Posts

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I thought you could set up guest WiFi, through profiles. For my guest WiFi, I used a 2nd SSID and VLAN with my access point. My firewall rules won't allow any traffic between the guests and anything else on the local network.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I just did some more checking and apparently the XB7 is one of the few models that doesn't support it. My modem does support it, but since it's in bridge mode WiFi no longer works. I run pfsense for my firewall, which supports VLANs and I have my AP configured for a 2nd SSID and VLAN.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I apologize that I cannot find what I want to know. I want to watch old tv series, e.g. Mr. Mercedes. Using the ignite remote and use voice search, I can find all the 3 seasons and episodes. I want to watch them on my ipad using ignite app. But under browse, there is no tv series items only movies. Anyone know how to search for tv series on ipad, etc? Is there a channel for on-demand on the ignite guide listing?
TIA

·
Registered
697 Posts
With the App you can watch live channels and recordings. You can't watch the OnDemand content, unfortunately. At least not to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mr. Mercedes is available on Prime Video and Hoopla.
thanks. I did find it, but was wondering if I can do it on ignite tv.
With the App you can watch live channels and recordings. You can't watch the OnDemand content, unfortunately. At least not to my knowledge.
Thanks. Did not realize ignite app cannot do on-demand.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Has anyone found a pleasant to use remote for ignite? Not the phone but a remote as good as the ones provided with the various versions of the Nextbox 3. Coloured buttons with actual movement when they are pushed.
Maybe it is just me but I find the Ignite remote hard to see in the dark and nasty buttons to use. I have searched around with Google and can’t find one that actually claims to work with Ignite…maybe some of them do but their ads don’t say so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
56,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #989 ·
Rogers have a big button "Royal" remote. If you request it, they usually send it at no charge.

As discussed in that thread, note that there are a few things that this "Royal" remote does not do, like pg+, pg- (for skip, etc.), or programmability for volume/on/off on an AVR or Sound Bar. For the latter, HDMI-CEC may function, but don't count on it.

Another option would be a Harmony remote, but they are no longer being manufactured and may be difficult/pricy to find.

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Has anyone found a pleasant to use remote for ignite? <snip> I have searched around with Google and can’t find one that actually claims to work with Ignite…maybe some of them do but their ads don’t say so.
If you find one that says it works for Comcast Xfinity, it should also work with Ignite, since it's the same system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I contacted Rogers tech support and they said that they didn't know anything about improperly encoded DD 5.1 on cloud recordings. I was assured that cloud recorded programs are correctly encoded.

Given that switching to Ignite is a one way street, I'd like to be certain that this is true before I make the commitment.

I have a Denon A/V receiver and pressing the "Info" button displays both the input and output audio channels. (example attached).
dolby.jpg

Could I be so bold as to ask anyone who has a similar capability and Rogers Ignite to post a similar photo when playing an Ignite cloud recorded program?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I contacted Rogers tech support and they said that they didn't know anything about improperly encoded DD 5.1 on cloud recordings. I was assured that cloud recorded programs are correctly encoded.
Most front line CSRs probably don't know anything about it or what the correct encoding is. Large companies often operate by failing to educate or inform lower level employees about issues with their products. Even worse is that many companies intentionally misinform low level employees as well as the public, and government regulators and representatives. It's important to note that the CRTC explicitly forbids modifying the picture resolution or sound quality of the signals it carries. (They continue to passively degrade these by using aggressive compression techniques but the CRTC ignores that issue.) Whether this applies to cloud recording is probably an issue the CRTC has failed to address.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Another reason not to switch, for radio stations such as JAZZ.FM91

Greater Toronto Area: 91.1 FM
Bell ExpressVu: 960
Rogers NextBox: 933
Shaw Direct: 869

“JAZZ.FM91 is no longer listed on the newer Rogers Ignite and Bell Fibe services. If you would like to listen to us there, please contact your service provider and ask that we be restored in their lineup!”

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Rogers has eliminated probably dozens of radio stations from their lineup over the years. They were often replaced by Rogers owned stations. The biggest cuts occurred between when digital boxes became available and analog TV was discontinued. Almost all the radio stations left on the Rogers lineup here appear to be either local or owned by Rogers.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Theres lots of FM stations streaming on the Internet......like thousands. Including Jazz.fm. Perhaps one day Rogers will add new apps to their Ignite box that will allow you to listen to FM stations on the Internet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes I know there are other ways to stream radio but the Jazz FM CJRT internet radio stream was recently shut down. When I went to their site to see what’s up I saw they switched to TuneIn and a note about Rogers Ignite unavailability that I thought was relevant to this thread. It is still on the digital box channel 932.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If they have no internet streaming service then that tells you they are likely going to disappear soon. Must be having budget issues.

981 - 1000 of 1007 Posts